Could DW Get a 1st Round Pick for Players He Gave a 1st For?

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I believe there are four currently on the roster which are:

1- Burns
2- Jones
3- Kane
4- Karlsson

Of those four, the only one I would think DW could get a 1st round pick for is Burns. I don't believe he could get one for either Jones or Kane.

Karlsson seems to be a fence-sitter in this regard. Right now, I don't believe DW could get a 1st. If so, it's going to take Karlsson to turn in some performance as he's known. I see other GMs has being hesitant. In other words, he has to live up to the hype, and not get injured again.

An interesting way to look at one aspect for grading DW's trades. Of course, some of this is due to PDB and how well he can coach performance out of these guys and their teammates.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I believe there are four currently on the roster which are:

1- Burns
2- Jones
3- Kane
4- Karlsson

Of those four, the only one I would think DW could get a 1st round pick for is Burns. I don't believe he could get one for either Jones or Kane.

Karlsson seems to be a fence-sitter in this regard. Right now, I don't believe DW could get a 1st. If so, it's going to take Karlsson to turn in some performance as he's known. I see other GMs has being hesitant. In other words, he has to live up to the hype, and not get injured again.

An interesting way to look at one aspect for grading DW's trades. Of course, some of this is due to PDB and how well he can coach performance out of these guys and their teammates.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Led Zappa

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
What? You think DW could get 1st round picks for all four, or are you just pished that he cannot?

Burns - yes, Karlsson - maybe, Jones and Kane - no. What's your tally?

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
What? You think DW could get 1st round picks for all four, or are you just pished that he cannot?

Burns - yes, Karlsson - maybe, Jones and Kane - no. What's your tally?

My tally? 30 minutes of consecutive laughter at this thread as a whole and specifically at your suggestion that DW could not get a 1st for Karlsson right now.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
Karlsson/Burns- Yes for sure.
Kane- Yes, if there's a team that looks past his character flaws. I'd trade a 1st for him again.
Jones- A 1st may have to involved, but it would be ours.

Reactions: LA Shark

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
My tally? 30 minutes of consecutive laughter at this thread as a whole and specifically at your suggestion that DW could not get a 1st for Karlsson right now.

Karlsson would need to prove he's over his injuries, since he's being paid $11.5m for a long term. Otherwise, GMs would be too hesitant to give DW a first right now. Later, after Karlsson proves it, yes. Now, very unlikely.

Burns, being the old of the trades on the list is probably the most certain of the four. That's somewhat telling on grading DW.

Kane would need to be rental, and the team would need to be in the playoff spot with the right kind of need. Instead, he has a long term contract with good pay. That fact, and him being too toxic with the refs, and seeing conspiracies against him everywhere is what will make it hard for DW to get a 1st.

Who in the heck call's themselves JoeThorntonsRooster, and expect us to take him seriously without laughing?

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
Stator, I suggested something similar during the off-season and got skewered for it on here. This is basic asset management. Burns is amazing, and would be amazing on a team one piece away. He’d also fetch a top tier prospect from a team that is close to being a legit cup contender. What I didn’t realize was that he had a somewhat limiting no trade clause. I think you ask him to look at what is out there that he’d waive for and you move him strictly based on age to value ratio in that he is older but I’m sure he is still worth a heck of a haul to the right team. Jones would not fetch a first in my opinion. Kane I’m not sure. You could try a quick refresh and build around EK65 who is in his prime. I was always a trade Burns advocate simply based on business and what young assets he could return to a team that has a lot of holes on paper.

With all that said, there is a coaching issue here. You don’t continue to hammer a square peg into a round hole. You assess what assets you have and roll a system best suited to what you have available to you right now, not the system you want to play. The game today is not suited to the Devils trap style of the 90’s, however, they were highly successful with a committed defensive mindset. I get that MB is a HOF’er, but they rolled a system best suited to the assets they had and it worked. Maybe the Sharks need to change their approach to better suit the actual players they have today?

While not a popular opinion, if they don’t change systems to match what they have, if they cannot score, and if they do not show that they can be competitive in the next 10 games or so, I think you start a rebuild while assets like Burns have significant value to bring a young return of value.

Blackbear

Jan 3, 2007
Well here is another perspective on the question. What do you think they could get for Burns or Karlsson from any GM who watched a tape of the Anaheim game?

Sjsharks5

Jan 3, 2019
What’s the likelihood of a first round winger turning into a 30 goal scorer in the NHL? Not very high. Kane returns a 1st in a trade from most GM’s in the league for this reason. For as uncertain as his attitude seems to be a problem at times, a first round pick in itself is much more uncertain to produce solid value. Most GM’s take Kane’s 30 goals in exchange for their first, unless it’s a top 5-10 pick.

Reactions: Phu

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Well here is another perspective on the question. What do you think they could get for Burns or Karlsson from any GM who watched a tape of the Anaheim game?

A lot more than one first round pick.

Karlsson would need to prove he's over his injuries, since he's being paid $11.5m for a long term. Otherwise, GMs would be too hesitant to give DW a first right now. Later, after Karlsson proves it, yes. Now, very unlikely.

Burns, being the old of the trades on the list is probably the most certain of the four. That's somewhat telling on grading DW.

Kane would need to be rental, and the team would need to be in the playoff spot with the right kind of need. Instead, he has a long term contract with good pay. That fact, and him being too toxic with the refs, and seeing conspiracies against him everywhere is what will make it hard for DW to get a 1st.

Who in the heck call's themselves JoeThorntonsRooster, and expect us to take him seriously without laughing?

You just said that it is “now, very unlikely” that somebody would trade a 1st round pick for Erik Karlsson. You probably shouldn’t be lecturing other people about being taken seriously.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
If we could trade next year's first for another evander Kane (preferably a right handed version), I'd do it.

7M for a borderline 1st line winger is good enough, and would barely fit our cap situation next year.

Blackbear

Jan 3, 2007
The best GMs evaluate talent based on one game, especially game 3 of the regular season.
So you agree they were the two worst players on the ice last night. Do you also agree that those performances were hardly outliers for either of them?

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
So you agree they were the two worst players on the ice last night. Do you also agree that those performances were hardly outliers for either of them?

How the f*** do you explain these guys winning 3 Norris Trophies between the two of them if a night where they are the worst player on the ice is an outlier? :laugh:

(And no, neither of those things are true.)

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Come on dude

really??

This is way off

Right because the team and wants to trade for burns or karlsson is going to first class the last couple game tapes to Wilson along with an offer of a para second rounders and he’s going to be like you know what you’re right

for get multiple scoring titles Norris And the fact that when they’re on their game or easily two of the top 10 or so players in the world

That’s like Jerry Rice having Having zero catches and then be sending the tape of that game disregarding everything he’s ever done and expecting to get them for a third rounder the ridiculous comment

So no it does not matter at all Wilson could actually cut the tape of the last couple games of some of the worst place ever even some last year and first class it to the GM training for them and they’re still not changing their mind

jarr92

May 7, 2013

I'll try to be nice since clearly your're a bit of a snowflake based on this comment.

Really? You're going to make this ludicrous thread then call someone out because you don't like their username? Get out of here with this trash thread and trash response.. seriously.

This might be the most unintelligent thread/response I've seen on the Sharks specific board in a long time.. Might want to post this on the main board, I think you will find more people like yourself there.

Reactions: Phu and themelkman

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA

Yes. That's exactly what I said...

If you want to ever be taken seriously, you may want to stop the "Karlsson and Burns being the worst player on the ice isn't an outlier" line of thought.

I didn't even watch the game last night, and it doesn't matter. What you are saying is really really REALLY (TOS appropriate phrase).

Jul 10, 2010
Karlsson/Burns- Yes for sure.
Kane- Yes, if there's a team that looks past his character flaws. I'd trade a 1st for him again.
Jones- A 1st may have to involved, but it would be ours.
Kanes concerns are way overblown from when he was a kid in winnipeg. cant remember anything serious from his buffalo days and nothing from his days here

and no, having passion and occasionally taking it too far on the ice is not a character flaw. thats hockey

Roasted Nuts

Feb 6, 2018
Behind you
Trading Burns for a massive haul seems enticing, given that he would return a huge package that would allow the Sharks to remain competitive for years. We could build this team around Karlsson like the other poster stated.
How about this proposal:
1. :sharksBurns
:jetsNikolaj Ehlers, Jack Roslovic, 2020 1st rounder
Sharks would get a influx of top six wingers for cheap. Ehlers would be reunited w/ Meier and Roslovic would have the opportunity to play in SJ unlike in Winnipeg where he is currently buried under a bunch of top six wingers. According to Jets fans, he has raw speed and talent, something the Sharks could really use. Of course, I don't believe Winnipeg would give up so much youth for a few years of Burnzie. However, given that Byfuglien isn't likely to return, they could really use a top 1D. Having that premier d-men would really put Winnipeg as a threat for the Cup. It would really hurt see Burns in a rival team, but they do appear to be a great trading partner.
:sharksBurns
:isles2020 or 21 1st round pick, Anthony Beauvillier, Oliver Wahlstrom
Tossing this proposal as there have been proposals on the main board by Islander fans for a top D-men. From the Sharks perspective, they have ample forward talent to give in return. Since we need more top six depth, we would request one of their younger forwards hoping they would develop into talent the Sharks need. Wahlstrom would be a nice addition in particular since we could really use a sniper to replace Pavs.
I'm guessing this is wistful thinking on my part, as no team would be so willing to part with young and cheap talent for an aging D-men, even one as talented as Burns.

Blackbear

Jan 3, 2007
Yes. That's exactly what I said...

If you want to ever be taken seriously, you may want to stop the "Karlsson and Burns being the worst player on the ice isn't an outlier" line of thought.

I didn't even watch the game last night, and it doesn't matter. What you are saying is really really REALLY (TOS appropriate phrase).
I think the last thing in the world that I’m concerned about is whether the people on this forum respect my opinion. As they say, res ipsa loquitur, whether it is apparent to you or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad