could drafting according to prospect ranking be good??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs4ever

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal, (Quebec)
Visit site
I've seen many teams letting go very highly touted prospects just to bite them back, so could team adopt a policy of drafting highest ranked prospect at every pick and be more successful then other franchises??

Is scouting even important, as most of the time fans and scouting community anticipate most of the high picks and even the guys that drop come back to play better then their draft position!!

Ya some times highly touted prospect turns into bust but most of the time highly ranked prospects do live upto their ranking so why do some teams go out of line and draft no name prospect, considering low ranked prospect has less chance into developing into player then the prospect ranked high. some times team gets lucky to, but thats rarity you don't see that with most picks, so why take chance on low rated prospect.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Habs4ever said:
I've seen many teams letting go very highly touted prospects just to bite them back, so could team adopt a policy of drafting highest ranked prospect at every pick and be more successful then other franchises??

Is scouting even important, as most of the time fans and scouting community anticipate most of the high picks and even the guys that drop come back to play better then their draft position!!

Ya some times highly touted prospect turns into bust but most of the time highly ranked prospects do live upto their ranking so why do some teams go out of line and draft no name prospect, considering low ranked prospect has less chance into developing into player then the prospect ranked high. some times team gets lucky to, but thats rarity you don't see that with most picks, so why take chance on low rated prospect.

Scouting is very useful. I can't think of many examples off the top of my head but here are some:

1.) The 1996 draft is probably one of the weakest in history and when the Calgary Flames took Derek Morris 13th overall the hockey world was shocked (maybe not GMs and their scouts) but the public was confused on why they took a potential low 2nd - high 3rd round pick so early. And now years later, it is quite obvious to see that the Flames made a smart choice and Morris is probably the 2nd or 3rd best player in his entire draft class after Zdeno Chara.

2.) The 2003 draft when Jeff Carter was slated to go 15th - 25th and I had hoped the Canucks nab him but when Philly took him at #11, the public thought Philly made a bad pick taking him so early. Then in the second round people were upset they took Mike Richards a bit higher than where he is supposed to go. Now two years later Carter and Richards are probably two of the juiciest prospects in the world in their respective positions.

The approach of taking the best player is good but the ranking of the best players according to the scouting reports are often wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->