Speculation: Could Arcobello Be A Short Term Replacement For Gagner?

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I know people bash Gagner and he's looked pretty bad this year but he's still on a .52 PPG pace which is on par with his career average. Last season might have been an anomaly due to the season being shortened and Gagner had his hot streak at the start of the season instead of the end of the sesaon like he usually does. I think that there are teams out there that need secondary scoring that see value in Gagner. The big problem is that teams probably won't want to add a 4.8 million second line center until the cap goes up and by then his no trade clause kicks in.

You know there is some hope... You raise a good point about gags 2nd half hot streaks... If he had one of those going, we could still trade him at the end of the season, say at the draft, after he's recovered some value. As you say, there would be more buyers at that time. His Ntc doesn't kick in until July 1, correct?

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
LMAO, that's some damn fancy editorialising. You must not think I have the internet.

Sam got 1 point against LA with 11 games to go and 1 point against Anaheim with 10 games to go. The team only scored 1 goal in both of those games, and RNH et al were healthy. Sam had almighty Yakupov and MPS on his line.

From that point on the Oilers would have needed to go 8-1 to finish in a 3-way tie for the last playoff spot.

You tell me, were the Oil still in the playoff hunt at that point? Sam had 37 points in 39 games up until then. If all the Oilers were producing like Sam was the Oilers would have breezed into the playoffs. The season was for all intents and purposes over when Sam finished the season with 3 points in the last 9 games.
Hellooooo pd 13.......?

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
You know there is some hope... You raise a good point about gags 2nd half hot streaks... If he had one of those going, we could still trade him at the end of the season, say at the draft, after he's recovered some value. As you say, there would be more buyers at that time. His Ntc doesn't kick in until July 1, correct?

It's too bad a player's value around the league doesn't rise and drop every week like it does on HF. Every GM in the NHL know what Gagner is all about. They know he's a .5 PPG, small, non physical winger who plays center. Even if he goes on a mean streak in games that don't matter, no GM is going to be tricked into thinking he's even kind of good.

His value was high when he was an RFA that wast extended. He could have been moved in a Perron for Paajarvi and a 2nd type deal to a team looking for a cheap young guy with some offence.

Not anymore. Nobody is going to be fooled into giving anything of value for this player and this contract.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Give Arco prime 2c time with skilled guys and watch his numbers go up.

Or play gagner in ARCO's minutes and watch his numbers drop.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It's too bad a player's value around the league doesn't rise and drop every week like it does on HF. Every GM in the NHL know what Gagner is all about. They know he's a .5 PPG, small, non physical winger who plays center. Even if he goes on a mean streak in games that don't matter, no GM is going to be tricked into thinking he's even kind of good.

His value was high when he was an RFA that wast extended. He could have been moved in a Perron for Paajarvi and a 2nd type deal to a team looking for a cheap young guy with some offence.

Not anymore. Nobody is going to be fooled into giving anything of value for this player and this contract.

What absolute nonsense.

For one thing Gagner is career .615ppg. But I guess its necessary to state something completely different to make whatever point.

Gagner is also 24. Please produce the list of NHL players age 24, that have played their career on 2nd line, that have 278pts.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Give Arco prime 2c time with skilled guys and watch his numbers go up.

Or play gagner in ARCO's minutes and watch his numbers drop.

I wonder what Arco would have done with Omark and Paajarvi? Or Nillson and Cogs. Probably sweet **** all and about what he's doing now. Arco in recent games is also getting a mix of linemates. He's doing nothing with it. Outside of his first games he's been incapable of producing.

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
I wonder what Arco would have done with Omark and Paajarvi? Or Nillson and Cogs. Probably sweet **** all and about what he's doing now. Arco in recent games is also getting a mix of linemates. He's doing nothing with it. Outside of his first games he's been incapable of producing.

You act as if Gagner has never been given a shot with the top dogs, or been handed copious amounts of PP time. Listen, what we are seeing is what Gagner is. Perimeter player who will top out at 60pts, while adding absolutely nothing else. Clearly, over the last number of years ONE season stands out as an outlier; it was also his best season by a country mile.

4.8m price tag, NTC, for a marginal point producer? Yeah, no.

Not saying Arco is better...I've been saying since the beginning he will be playing in another league soon enough. But this blind Gagner love just has to stop. Stahhhhhhhhp

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You act as if Gagner has never been given a shot with the top dogs, or been handed copious amounts of PP time. Listen, what we are seeing is what Gagner is. Perimeter player who will top out at 60pts, while adding absolutely nothing else. Clearly, over the last number of years ONE season stands out as an outlier; it was also his best season by a country mile.

4.8m price tag, NTC, for a marginal point producer? Yeah, no.

Not saying Arco is better...I've been saying since the beginning he will be playing in another league soon enough. But this blind Gagner love just has to stop. Stahhhhhhhhp

I was responding to a suggestion that the only thing separating Arco from Gagner is who they play with. Thats all.

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
I was responding to a suggestion that the only thing separating Arco from Gagner is who they play with. Thats all.

My bad. In that case I quite agree with you. Gagner is a marginally better player, but I say that as I believe Arco isn't an NHLer long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad