could anyone give me the lowdown on why the wings gave up on petr mrasek?

A Few Good Males

Apr 15, 2018
Detroit, MI
he was standing on head last night against the jets....

why the wings let this guy go...i don't understand...

could someone clue me on this?
He is incredibly streaky. Had some amazing spurts with the Wings - also had some brutal stretches. He was awful in Philly after we traded him last year.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Wings were also going to have to pay him a lot of money as an RFA to retain his rights, his play was not worth what they would have had to qualify him at.

He was being paid 4mil and they would still have to give him a raise..not worth it.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
he just kinda fell apart for whatever reason,Goalie can be something of a finicky position that's what makes the rare guys like Lundqvist who can stay consistently good over a long career so valuable

he had plenty of chances to redeem himself but he was bad for a couple years and at some point you just gotta give it up

especially with a goalie where it's such a binary thing(you're either playing the whole game or you aren't playing at all)

it's sad since a lot of us had high hopes for him(he was always promising as a prospect and was right up there with the best in the league in 2015-16 until he slumped a bit towards the end and even still he ended up finishing with good numbers) but it is what it is

good for him if he can manage to turn it around in Carolina but I don't think it's super likely at this point(and even if he does that doesn't mean he would have here)

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It was a lucky game for him.

I think he played 3 good games for Flyers, and then busted out.

Mrazek has already had a one horrible game against the Rangers, but if you offence is able to score 8 goals, he'll proably won't be that bad problem.

Laine goal was a typical Mrazek-failure on yesterdays game. Came too much out on the left side, and Wheeler passes on the right. Laine can tap one-timer on empty net.

Last edited:
Reactions: turkleton85

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Someone else can elaborate more but there was something about him not wanting to be in Detroit unless he was starting ahead of Howard or something and requested a trade in December. I think Custance wrote about it

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
At times, he'd have stretches where you'd say that if he could string that together he'd be one of the best in the league. Then he'd go cold for a long stretch and couldn't stop a beach ball. After a while, that gets tiring.

Reports last February were that the Wings would get rid of one of either Howard or Mrazek before this season, and I'm thinking the choice was because Mrazek was rumored to not be particularly happy in Detroit, but also because he was due for a raise.

Reactions: Winger98
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
He was absolutely unreal his first few years in Detroit. I'm talking future Vezina winner without a ddoubt. Some of the most entertaining goaltending I've ever seen. He seemed to have found a perfect balance in his game.

Then he got blown up by Boston in a really bad performance on his birthday and was never the same again. So sad :( he was so awesome.

I still have some hope that he can be that player he was supposed to be.

Reactions: Filppula

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
He was absolutely unreal his first few years in Detroit. I'm talking future Vezina winner without a ddoubt. Some of the most entertaining goaltending I've ever seen. He seemed to have found a perfect balance in his game.

Then he got blown up by Boston in a really bad performance on his birthday and was never the same again. So sad :( he was so awesome.

I still have some hope that he can be that player he was supposed to be.
His problems are all mental. His talent is world class when he is on.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
he was standing on head last night against the jets....

why the wings let this guy go...i don't understand...

could someone clue me on this?
There was a point in time when he was the future goalie in Detroit. He won a Calder Cup in Grand Rapids. He looked really good in the AHL and in international competition. He looked better during Detroit's limited playoff games during that stretch than Howard. I think if Babcock stayed in Detroit he would have had a longer career here. Babcock ended Ozzy's career shortly after back to back finals appearances by elevating Jimmy to the #1 spot. Howard received Calder consideration that year despite the fact he was approaching his mid 20s as a rookie. Tyler Myers won that particular rookie of the year award.

Bottom line is Detroit fell apart three years ago and a lot of young players have seen their careers caught between the old reality of "over-ripening" where they could step into a well developed organization and be set up for success and the new reality of absolutely no security net where they are asked to punch above their weight.

I do think Mrazek on a good team can be a really solid goalie. That didn't happen in Detroit and it didn't happen in Philly. Carolina has a really good defense so he could do well there. So long story short he's not a goalie who can carry your franchise. If he's put in a good situation I think he can be a really good goalie. A comparable from days gone by could be Manny Legace. Manny looked spectacular in Detroit back when we were a juggernaut. Once he left his career stats started to drop off big time. Seriously, there were three years in Detroit where Legace's save percentage was .920 or greater. It never hit that level again at the NHL level after he left Detroit.

I'll be interested to see how Mrazek does in Carolina. He's a talented guy and if he has a good team in front of him he will surprise some people.

Last edited:

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I think he will do well in a good young team, first and for most he called out KH on how he was building the team and KH could not have that. Then the team quit playing for Trash and as we have seen this year again hangs their goalies out to dry. He was only a hired gun in Philly was never staying there.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Immensely physically talented, but streaky and his head had gone in Detroit. Hit niggling little injuries and a collapse in form as Det were about to hand him the keys to the franchise, thus stepping back from their intention to shop Howard, which seeemed to mess with his head.

More capable of getting an impossible shutout than many starters, but has fundamental technical issues that reappear, and goes through periods of massively positionally over-committing.

Had his RFA salary been more reasonable the wings probably would have tried to convince him to stay, but at $4m+ his play wasn't worth it

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Cause he isn't that good of a goalie, plain and simple. He makes lots of neat looking saves, but those come, because he slides all over the crease and beyond.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->