Proposal: Could a deal be made Mtl/Pit/Ana or Wpg

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Not doing specifics but the idea would be:

Pacioretty@ 50% (2.25 mil cap hit) to pens
For
Brassard +

Then Montreal sends Brassard to a team like Winnipeg or Anaheim (both could use a middle six C) at 50%(1.5mil caphit) for more assets.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Before the Ducks do anything like that, they need to find out what Kesler has left to give, and it might take another year for that to happen.

kyle o connor

enjoying first line highlife
Apr 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
Montreal isn't going to like what Winnipeg is going to offer in futures for Brassard. He's a pending UFA and I don't see us not drafting in the first round 2 years in a row. B prospect and 2 2nds is as much as we can give.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Three way trades are so rare but this could be a decent basis. Pens probably add some futures.

Reactions: Captain97

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Brassard+2nd would be most I would pay from Pens for Patches.

Both gonna be UFA’s, Patches a little better but Brassard a solid 3C for us.

If Montreal could trade Brassard for a 1st to one of those teams I think it could be a good deal for all clubs. Not a bad idea at all.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Unless Pens ship Kessel out I don’t see why they would want to part with Brassard. Last year when they got him everybody and their mom was moaning about how amazing the Pena CTR depth was. Teams have gotten better, most obviously the TML. So why would the Pens give that up. Doesn’t make sense, sorry.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Unless Pens ship Kessel out I don’t see why they would want to part with Brassard. Last year when they got him everybody and their mom was moaning about how amazing the Pena CTR depth was. Teams have gotten better, most obviously the TML. So why would the Pens give that up. Doesn’t make sense, sorry.

I've seen a decent number of threads about the pens trading Brassard started by pens fans. Not sure why.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Montreal isn't going to like what Winnipeg is going to offer in futures for Brassard. He's a pending UFA and I don't see us not drafting in the first round 2 years in a row. B prospect and 2 2nds is as much as we can give.

We could offer up Perreault. He's from Quebec, they might bite.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Not doing specifics but the idea would be:

Pacioretty@ 50% (2.25 mil cap hit) to pens
For
Brassard +

Then Montreal sends Brassard to a team like Winnipeg or Anaheim (both could use a middle six C) at 50%(1.5mil caphit) for more assets.
Brassard is already 40% retained by LV from that 3 way deal that saw him technically a Knight for 10 minutes. The maximum retention is 50% regardless how many teams are involved. So on a base of $5 million the Habs could only retain a further 1/2 million bringing him to 2.5.

& Wpg. doesn't need a middle 6 center. If they add a center it has to be a solid #2 that would have chemistry with Ehlers & Laine. Other wise Little > Brassard while the Jets have Lowry, youth like Roslovic, Copp, Dano, Petan & many of the current forwards are capable of shifting from wing to center. When they were looking @ trading for Brassard last year it was for depth only. Fortunately that fancy footwork by McPhee to prevent that resulted in them getting the much better Stastny. Jets have a bigger need for the 2.5 in cap while retaining assets than for Brassard.

On paper @ least Anaheim looks to be in te same situation.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Before the Ducks do anything like that, they need to find out what Kesler has left to give, and it might take another year for that to happen.

Brassard is UFA though and we get em for the cheap of his contract. He can always walk if Kesler is healthy enough to come back. Brassard is a decent stop gap for a season. I don’t mind it.

The question is what do they want for Brassard? He also has NTC which he dictates where he goes.

sansabri

a sea of troubles eh
Aug 12, 2005
Why would the Habs want Brassard in return for Patches? The whole point is to get youth back for him.

Reactions: Favster

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Brassard is already 40% retained by LV from that 3 way deal that saw him technically a Knight for 10 minutes. The maximum retention is 50% regardless how many teams are involved. So on a base of $5 million the Habs could only retain a further 1/2 million bringing him to 2.5.

& Wpg. doesn't need a middle 6 center. If they add a center it has to be a solid #2 that would have chemistry with Ehlers & Laine. Other wise Little > Brassard while the Jets have Lowry, youth like Roslovic, Copp, Dano, Petan & many of the current forwards are capable of shifting from wing to center. When they were looking @ trading for Brassard last year it was for depth only. Fortunately that fancy footwork by McPhee to prevent that resulted in them getting the much better Stastny. Jets have a bigger need for the 2.5 in cap while retaining assets than for Brassard.

On paper @ least Anaheim looks to be in te same situation.

Up to 50% can be retained twice

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
There's no way that Pacioretty has that kind of value, are people ignoring that he's coming off a season with a 47 point pace?

I'd offer Simon and Brassard for Pacioretty at most, to be honest.
Look at his career average though. Look at Subban coming off a career worse season, how he exploded back to norms?

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Up to 50% can be retained twice
What is a retained salary transaction/trade

When a team trades a player, they have the option to retain a part of their salary (and cap hit). The team who retains the salary then pays the retained percentage of the salary, and also retains the percentage of the cap hit until the contract expires. The following requirements must be met to retain salary:
  1. The percentage retained cannot exceed 50 percent of the player’s salary (including all bonuses) and Salary Cap Hit.
  2. The same percentage must be retained for both the player’s salary and Salary Cap Hit, and cannot be modified.
  3. All teams are limited to a maximum of 3 retained salary contracts per season.
  4. Teams cannot retain an aggregate amount of more than 15 percent of the Salary Cap Upper Limit.
  5. Players’ contracts are limited to 2 retained salary transactions per contract.
So with that being said, MTL can retain another 500k on Brassard salary if they can acquire him

Reactions: Flyerfan52

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
Why would the Habs want Brassard in return for Patches? The whole point is to get youth back for him.
From the overgreedy fans to the overall devaluation Patches suffered here. According to hf, fans are not willing to trade youth for Patches... at that point I don't even know if MTL can entertain the idea of a 2nd. So, people try to find ways to still talk about him. I don't know why.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
No. Read the CBA
You are wrong. Mark Streit was traded to Tampa and Philly retained 247k of his salary. He was then traded to the Pens and Tampa retained 2.5m of his salary. 2.747k retained on a 5.25m salary or 52.3% salary being retained on the original deal. A players salary can be retained by 50% by each acquiring team

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
You are wrong. Mark Streit was traded to Tampa and Philly retained 247k of his salary. He was then traded to the Pens and Tampa retained 2.5m of his salary. 2.747k retained on a 5.25m salary or 52.3% salary being retained on the original deal. A players salary can be retained by 50% by each acquiring team
happened with Scuderi too. Pittsburgh and Chicago both were retaining

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
as per my understanding of 50.5.C.III.A, you can only retain up to 50% of a players salary... and Mark Streit was dealt at the deadline, therefore, more than 50% of his salary was already paid for

Attachments

• NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA271.pdf
    87 KB · Views: 3

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017

I would say what they would want to do is take Brassard and scalp a prospect/pick. And then flip Brassard at the TDL for a 1st

Essentially, Patches is worth a 1st plus pick/prospect. As a Pens fan, no deal on Patches. Exciting young winger for 5 years. I’m all ears. Like Zucker. Or Duchene. Maybe Gaudreau+ in a Kessel plus Letang offering

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Pens: Pacioretty @ 50%

Devils: Brassard

Canadiens: McCleod + 2018 2nd (Penguins)

Devils get a top 6 C, Pens get Patches, Canadiens get a center prospect and a 2nd

No reason to think Brassard wouldn’t re-sign in NJ so trading McCleod could be worth it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad