Proposal: Could #6 for #9 and #29 be worked out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Wings fan here, trying to gauge whether there might be a deal to be made between Anaheim and Detroit.

The Wings would love to go after Trouba, but there's a good chance that a late first rounder would be part of the package. In theory, dropping back a few spots and acquiring said late 1st would be great, but that's definitely not enough by itself to entice the Ducks. So my questions are:

1) Is there anybody Anaheim would even be interested in to move up to 6, and

2) If so, what else would it take to balance it out?

Not looking for either team to rob the other blind. Just gauging interest and dialoguing for value. Thanks!

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Moving up in this draft just doesn't make sense this year unless you are going all the way to the top. Picks 3-12 or so seem to be relatively similar in value, and definitely not far apart enough to add another first to move up to.

The only caveat to that is if our scouting director absolutely loves one guy in that mix, but we wouldn't know that obviously.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Moving up in this draft just doesn't make sense this year unless you are going all the way to the top. Picks 3-12 or so seem to be relatively similar in value, and definitely not far apart enough to add a other first to move up to.

The only caveat to that is if our scouting director absolutely loves one guy in that mix, but we wouldn't know that obviously.
Can't say I disagree. Just didn't know if there was a reasonable player or prospect that Detroit could add to make it worthwhile.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
If Turcotte is available and you throw in another pick, sure.

Reactions: 11Justin93

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
It all depends on the Ducks draft board and we really dont know what that is. They could have their #3 on the board at #6 and be willing to make that trade. They could feel 3-9 is very even and not want to move.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Idk with Anaheim’s late first success rate the past 5yrs that they would want to give that up. Our second rounder is basically a late first if that could be worked around

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Moving up in this draft just doesn't make sense this year unless you are going all the way to the top. Picks 3-12 or so seem to be relatively similar in value, and definitely not far apart enough to add another first to move up to.

Not sure I agree with that, it makes plenty sense. It might not make any sense to pay a first rounder to do it but actually moving up and leapfrogging Buffalo and Edmonton makes a ton of sense.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
The only way that I see us moving up is if someone here is on the move(not a cap dump) and it's part of a broader deal.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I could see them doing #9 and #29 for #6 and #35

I was the one who suggested the scenario with the Trouba angle on the Detroit board, and originally did it purely based on this link (which I realize is a little dated):

What does it cost to trade up in the draft?

My initial reaction is, I have a hard time seeing the value of Detroit moving back 3 spots and passing on their choice of top 10 talent to gain 6 spots of what equates to an early second rounder. It feels extremely weighted in favor of Anaheim just by the optics of the trade.

The thought I had was something along the lines of 6OA+54OA+65OA, which would be the Wings first and third, along with the Islanders 2nd acquired in the Tatar trade. Mathematically speaking, it would work from the link above, but obviously each trade is unique and might not make sense. I have no grasp on Anaheim's set path right now, they could value prospects, they could value draft capital, they could value NHL players. Without knowing the specifics, I was merely speculating that there might be a deal to be made, although I understand how perfect things would have to line up.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I was the one who suggested the scenario with the Trouba angle on the Detroit board, and originally did it purely based on this link (which I realize is a little dated):

What does it cost to trade up in the draft?

My initial reaction is, I have a hard time seeing the value of Detroit moving back 3 spots and passing on their choice of top 10 talent to gain 6 spots of what equates to an early second rounder. It feels extremely weighted in favor of Anaheim just by the optics of the trade.

The thought I had was something along the lines of 6OA+54OA+65OA, which would be the Wings first and third, along with the Islanders 2nd acquired in the Tatar trade. Mathematically speaking, it would work from the link above, but obviously each trade is unique and might not make sense. I have no grasp on Anaheim's set path right now, they could value prospects, they could value draft capital, they could value NHL players. Without knowing the specifics, I was merely speculating that there might be a deal to be made, although I understand how perfect things would have to line up.

At the end of the day it's still just three spots. Draft value charts peg the difference being around a third rounder and that's not in a draft like this one where there may be not a ton of difference between 6 and 9. I'd say moving back into the first round is about even, especially since Detroit very likely would only do this because the guy they want is a bit out there, probably a defenseman.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Not sure I agree with that, it makes plenty sense. It might not make any sense to pay a first rounder to do it but actually moving up and leapfrogging Buffalo and Edmonton makes a ton of sense.

You would be ok with trading another first to move up three spots for a similarly valued prospect? Why?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
You would be ok with trading another first to move up three spots for a similarly valued prospect? Why?

I literally said it might not, or wouldn't make sense to do that lol. That's excessive.

Has to be within reason but it's something I'd look into. I don't think they'll be regarded as similar prospects, there'll be clear differences and going to 6 greatly improves the chances of getting a guy the team has in the top 5, possibly even the guy they have 3rd.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I literally said it might not, or wouldn't make sense to do that lol. That's excessive.

Has to be within reason but it's something I'd look into. I don't think they'll be regarded as similar prospects, there'll be clear differences and going to 6 greatly improves the chances of getting a guy the team has in the top 5, possibly even the guy they have 3rd.
Ha! That's what I get for only reading the first sentence.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
With Krebs injury, that means the Ducks BPA at 9 is probably a winger. Trading up means they may get Zegras or Dach.
The teams that would take Krebs ahead of the Ducks will now take someone else.

quacktastic93

Dec 9, 2017
Honestly if trevor zegras is available at 6 i would do it ib a heart beat, it just all depends who is on the board still this draft is going tobe interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad