"Couch Coaches Corner"--Oilers Jan.-2013

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
I think because he is fairly new and has little in the way of cred it could be ignored. Also, I think he fails to realize many of this board are in the over 30 crowd, have either played hockey at a higher level or are in fact coaching kids right now and may have some experience coaching.

For me he losses points because he claims the oilers changed hockey in the 80's, if you are old enough you know that what the oiler did was borrow the style of the Jets from the last few years of the World Hockey association or European style of offensive play to the game. Worked better for the oilers because they had more talent.

I think if the OP wanted to be taken more serious a little more back ground on his coaching and hockey experience might have been in order

Also, the lack of proper punctuation, and spending who knows how many sentences explaining "dump and chase".

It screams high schooler upping his word count and thinking he can pass it off as genuine in depth analysis.

Meanashell11

Jan 3, 2003
Greenwich CT
Visit site
Sorry for the length ,and i know it is difficult to focus on long post in cyberspace where everything is minimalistic,I also know that there are issues when using phones and other tech besides a laptop or a desktop.I just dont know if you can condense these dynamic explanations any more than I have without losing to much core value data.

I have never posted on a blog and really I just want to clearly highlight how i see our team from a coaching perspective,because i really never read many threads specificly dealing with the dynamics and dimensional aspects of this topic I figured that few would want to read the thread to begin with,although I hope people do read and enjoy it. If anyone want to give me a short course on how to post here on a blog please feel free to tell me how to do it,I dont care where I post as long as it doesnt cause any difficulty.

I was hoping I posted enough supportive structure initially to allow a lot of different perspectives to kinda get the drift,i know it is long but it only has to be long once and broad based once to get through to the highest number of points of view as possible,,I was trying to create a "same page"perspective and its so hard to do in few words because its trying to appeal to so many at once in the hopes of sticking with a few of them.If the topic was a more popular one that talked about specific plays or on-ice actins in the last few games few words would be needed to get everyone on the same page.

After people post their own "Couch Coach"perspectives the posts and replys should be much shorter.Sorry but I dont rely on a statistical approach at all I rely on a dynamic intuative approach.Most people are more comfortable dealing with things that are statisticly catalysed and supported so its easy to talk in that context with them,but once you begin dealing with dynamic actions based in intuition then its to easy to lose people if you are short and condensed with your data.

My point was not so much length for a mobile device but punctuation and presentation. It seems like one long diatribe, no breakup or structure.;)

Meanashell11

Jan 3, 2003
Greenwich CT
Visit site
No, I'm as wordy as anybody and I would never legitimately expect anybody to read that long a disorganized post on a messageboard. The OP didn't even review and edit the post as its obvious he's word for word repeating in sentences and paragraphs. jebus, that just tells me not to bother continued reading.

The OP is guilty of stream of conscious typing, disorganized random thought, and not even bothering to make something into a coherent compositions. Its basically just pages of disconnected thought as it occurs to him/her. With the one glue being its apparently about hockey, the Oilers, or something. After a certain amount of rambling you just give up reading it.

The OP could make a much better effort. It shouldn't take more effort parsing something than it does creating the passage. Tne onus is on the writer to write clearly and succinctly. Its not on the reader.

Replacement makes my point much better than I did.

BadMedicine*

Unless you've coached hockey, please don't pretend to know. Out of 30 teams, there are maybe 20 effective coaches. That is 20 guys out of 6 billion that know what it takes to coach at the highest level on the planet. "couch coach" indeed! Sounds fat, drunk, and clueless. What's wrong with being the best fans in the world? Cause I must admit, that's the only thing that I've agreed with grapes about in a very long time.

I hope my grammar didn't offend anyone too!

Wow.....lets say that out of your 30 teams there are 30 effective coaches ok??Thats a bit of a weird comment,these are NHL coaches not clowns,although the word nerd crew that showed up on this thread are clowns.

Ha ha ha,I hope my grammer didnt offend anyone too,you sound like a hillbilly for goodness sakes,for that matter like a Hillbilly harping from the top of a bandwagon.I feel like I have been transported into the movie Deliverance just reading your post,you are scaring me,ha ha ha ha.

Hey what do you think of this,I just watched my local sportscast and Brian Hall was mentioning that a lot of the Oilers penaltys have been taken on offense,do you think this has anything to do with the fact they are chasing dumpins all night long?/That they are in pursuit mode to much??Are you really a hockey fan??We have already established the fact that I am not an NHL coach and that one was pretty easy,this might be a wee bit tougher,ha ha ha.

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
Wow.....lets say that out of your 30 teams there are 30 effective coaches ok??Thats a bit of a weird comment,these are NHL coaches not clowns,although the word nerd crew that showed up on this thread are clowns.

Ha ha ha,I hope my grammer didnt offend anyone too,you sound like a hillbilly for goodness sakes,for that matter like a Hillbilly harping from the top of a bandwagon.I feel like I have been transported into the movie Deliverance just reading your post,you are scaring me,ha ha ha ha.

Hey what do you think of this,I just watched my local sportscast and Brian Hall was mentioning that a lot of the Oilers penaltys have been taken on offense,do you think this has anything to do with the fact they are chasing dumpins all night long?/That they are in pursuit mode to much??Are you really a hockey fan??We have already established the fact that I am not an NHL coach and that one was pretty easy,this might be a wee bit tougher,ha ha ha.

One ? at the end of a sentence is sufficient. A space after punctuation is a must.

Kthxbai.

BadMedicine*

Oilers a dump and chase team? Lol.

Yes,Philly85,when a player has possesion of the puck and he is in or entering the o-zone and he proceeds to throw the puck past the defenceman and then uses his superior speed and momentum to skate past the d-man to beat him and regain possesion deep in the zone---it is called a dump-in.What exactly are you watching every game??Each time the team does this they voluntraily surrender the puck and potential shots on net AND they waste the prior sucessful zone entrys and hard work.What do you call that?

BadMedicine*

One ? at the end of a sentence is sufficient. A space after punctuation is a must.

Kthxbai.

Do you have anything to comment on that is related to the title of the thread you clicked on??

You arent getting your space ok ??Ha ha ha, if I was as nutty as some of the people who take punctuation and grammer so seriously I would be absolutely loving this ?I mean if I was getting as much out of being the catalyst of this waste of text as you people seem to get out of being word nerds this would be a symbiotic relationship, but it just isnt so,ha ha ha. It must be the size of the membership or something here but there is a whole flock of you people. Now that I know I am feeding the monster I take it all back, I shall use a space after punctuation and ha ha ha, I will limit it to one ?. Now what do you think of our lack of offense on the PK, I know there isnt supposed to be any offensive focus on the PK but considering how tightly games are being called this year and how short the season is is it a good idea to try to make some things happen offensively if we can on the PK?

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
Do you have anything to comment on that is related to the title of the thread you clicked on??

You arent getting your space ok ??Ha ha ha, if I was as nutty as some of the people who take punctuation and grammer so seriously I would be absolutely loving this ?I mean if I was getting as much out of being the catalyst of this waste of text as you people seem to get out of being word nerds this would be a symbiotic relationship, but it just isnt so,ha ha ha. It must be the size of the membership or something here but there is a whole flock of you people. Now that I know I am feeding the monster I take it all back, I shall use a space after punctuation and ha ha ha, I will limit it to one ?. Now what do you think of our lack of offense on the PK, I know there isnt supposed to be any offensive focus on the PK but considering how tightly games are being called this year and how short the season is is it a good idea to try to make some things happen offensively if we can on the PK?

*grammar

Point is - how can you expect anyone to take you seriously, let alone read a thesis on a message board, if you can't even put the effort in to construct your post properly. Despite what you obviously believe, the quality of a post is not proportional to the number of words contained in it.

Start a blog where bouts of verbal (keyboard) diarrhea and stream of consciousness typing are more suited.

Sorry - I only used one period at the end of my sentences. Should I have used more??

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
Now what do you think of our lack of offense on the PK, I know there isnt supposed to be any offensive focus on the PK but considering how tightly games are being called this year and how short the season is is it a good idea to try to make some things happen offensively if we can on the PK?

As for this - contrary to popular belief, good PKer =/= good defensive player - especially for forwards.

I'll take myself as an example. I am the worst defensive player in the history of hockey. At ES, I would see my goalie at the start of the game and at the end - that was about it. I was all about scoring the goals. Hung out in the neutral zone waiting for breakout passes, etc...really really terrible defensively. At ES, I had a one track mind - score goals.

However, I was also one of the best PKers on my team every year I played. Because I had a goal, a focus. For those 2 minutes, not getting scored on was as good as getting a goal. When I was on the PK, I was able to focus on that. Anyway, I digress.

IMO, the most important attribute for an effective NHL PKer (forward) is speed. Closing the gaps and cutting off lanes. Having some decent hands to go with that speed is a great bonus as well, as it might help keep the point men a little more honest, and if not, then you burn them.

BadMedicine*

I think because he is fairly new and has little in the way of cred it could be ignored. Also, I think he fails to realize many of this board are in the over 30 crowd, have either played hockey at a higher level or are in fact coaching kids right now and may have some experience coaching.

For me he losses points because he claims the oilers changed hockey in the 80's, if you are old enough you know that what the oiler did was borrow the style of the Jets from the last few years of the World Hockey association or European style of offensive play to the game. Worked better for the oilers because they had more talent.

I think if the OP wanted to be taken more serious a little more back ground on his coaching and hockey experience might have been in order

You arent a coach of anything,and no one knows who else here may or may not be a coach of anything but their own couch,ha ha ha.

Playing and coaching are not the same at all, I have been a coach and wont even give you a chance to argue that point, jeepers some weirdos show up here.

Hockey and coaching experience is not relevant on a thread titled couch coaching for the love of Murphy.

I have watched every oilers season since the franchises inception , and you are dead wrong pal, the Oilers definately changed NHL hockey with their innovative style of play, and that style was catalysed by one mans vision, Wayne Gretzky, not the Jets. The big difference between your statements and reality happens to be that the Oilers focused on their transition game more than anything else and that includes their cycling and their European influences that every other NHL team felt. It was the Oilers zone transition tactics that made them unique and forced the NHL to begin to change within two years, you had to fight them with firepower or you lost more than not.

The Jets style, ha ha ha,all of North American hockey was influenced by European styles and vice versa, so what--that is a given.You arent a coach and for that matter any coach reading this would be posting hockey related comments, not word nerd gangster rap. The Word Nerds are bullies sometimes.

Could you please post something along the lines that the Oilers didnt change NHL hockey with their new and innovative offense that happened to set most NHL offensive records that stand today that was priceless. Maybe also post how the NHL did not change the powerplay rules to slow down the Oilers offensive output. There are some strange perspectives in this world, ha haha.

BadMedicine*

As for this - contrary to popular belief, good PKer =/= good defensive player - especially for forwards.

I'll take myself as an example. I am the worst defensive player in the history of hockey. At ES, I would see my goalie at the start of the game and at the end - that was about it. I was all about scoring the goals. Hung out in the neutral zone waiting for breakout passes, etc...really really terrible defensively. At ES, I had a one track mind - score goals.

However, I was also one of the best PKers on my team every year I played. Because I had a goal, a focus. For those 2 minutes, not getting scored on was as good as getting a goal. When I was on the PK, I was able to focus on that. Anyway, I digress.

IMO, the most important attribute for an effective NHL PKer (forward) is speed. Closing the gaps and cutting off lanes. Having some decent hands to go with that speed is a great bonus as well, as it might help keep the point men a little more honest, and if not, then you burn them.

Nice to see a hockey related post.

Hanging in the neutral taught you important things about transitions. You learned where to be to capitalise on transitional action going both ways. This ability to recognise and react to transitional cycles or habits made you an excellent PKer, the neutral zone was your backyard. It was this understanding of neutral zone tendancies that made you an excellent PKer, moreso I believe than your physical skillset did.

I agree with you that speed is an important attribute for an effective PKer, but as you pointed out I believe that neutral zone transitional awareness is even more critical to creating an excellent PKer. Hence the seemingly amazing ability of what would appear to be defensively weak forwards to be elite PKers. Did you have above average speed? I ask because learning to target the fringes of transition areas is sometimes the sign of a weaker skater, but when committing to hang in the neutral zone you usually need to have above average speed to both cover yourself defensively and capitalise on offense from that spot.

Did you find that you drew more or less penaltys when you were operating in the neutral zone so much? Both defensively and offensively.

Sorry for so many questions , I didnt play organised hockey, but what specific attributes do you think are most important for a PKer to have if you want to try to initiate offense? Do you think speed rules the day or are there other equally important dimensions that can allow you to create offense shorthanded? Which Oilers might have these qualitys?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad