Cossa vs Wallstedt

Who do you draft ?

• Total voters

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Voted Cossa but I know zero about goalie prospects.

But I heard a guy, a goalie guy, on am650 in Vancouver a couple of weeks ago talking about how athletic Cossa is and that's the difference.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Wallstadt. He’s got good size, and is quicker across the crease. Cossa is taller, but not as athletic. Imo.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Personally for me, I just don’t like CHL goalies. It’s a bad route to develop goalies.
Interesting.

I read a scouting report with a similar take...Something along the lines that #'s can be inflated if the goalie is above average on a very good JR Hockey team such as Cossa...This scout was all for Wallstedt.

As a fan of Detroit - I hope Yzerman made the right choice.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Where should the league get goalies then? The majority of players still come from the CHL. It is still the best league to develop prospects, no matter what position.
Why don’t you look at the history of drafting CHL goalies in the first round. For that matter, why don’t you just look at drafting CHL goalies in general.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Why don’t you look at the history of drafting CHL goalies in the first round. For that matter, why don’t you just look at drafting CHL goalies in general.
Well in the last 10 years 3 Vezina winners have come from the CHL and one from the SHL. Drafting goalies is a crapshoot the CHL is no different then any other league in that regards.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
The biggest “negative” of drafting a CHL goaltender is a team more or less needs to make a decision on him quicker than those that take a different route. So in terms of development, need to choose at the beginning stages which for a goaltender can be tricky as they are not always where you need them when moving to the AHL.

Wild fan here who has seen neither, so no idea.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Im of the thinking that goalie development is alot more mental than forwards or defensemen. I think goalies putting up video game numbers in the CHL is better than a goalie struggling in a mens league

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Toss up.

I like Cossa though, he's an extremely likeable kid with a ton of confidence. As a Canadian Wings fan, I'm pumped to watch him at the World Juniors. I really like his potential.

staveNsteel

Jan 18, 2021
Wallstedt has been on the radar as a goalie prospect since he was 14.. aging as a dman young in his development, he said in an interview, has helped with his puck tracking and being able to read a play before/as it develops. Both his brother and dad are goalies, so he's had a lot of help in that regard, and he's explained his myself as a hockey nerd, watching NHL SHL and KHL games, focusing on goalies, and how plays develop around them in order to take various elements and develop them into his game.

Because he's so well positioned, he comes across as boring/safe, maybe seen as unable to make that big play if need be, but he doesn't need to because his positioning is so solid. I've done a lot of research on him, watched a lot of games (not just highlights) and he is a very strong goalie.

I can't give a comparison for Cossa (I'm doing my research on him now) as of yet, but from what I see, Wallstedt dropping to #20 in this draft is just ridiculous.. he's a top 10 talent easily.. but I absolutely get reservations with using early draft currency on goaltending.. however, if you can get a young guy to man the crease for a decade plus, it's absolutely worth the price.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Im of the thinking that goalie development is alot more mental than forwards or defensemen. I think goalies putting up video game numbers in the CHL is better than a goalie struggling in a mens league
Wallstedt didn't struggle in the SHL though?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Wallstedt didn't struggle in the SHL though?

Uh, no. Not at all. The guy was terrific as a rookie.

I'm sure Cossa will be a good goalie in the league but I'm not sure if he's Devan Dubnyk, Sean Burke or the next Ben Bishop. He was drafted by my favorite team (Detroit) and people talk about "elite athleticism" but I haven't seen that from him in all the footage I've seen. Hee's great on his posts but part of that is because he's so damn big, but I'm not seeing great technical skills or a great glove. Cossa was also on a total powerhouse team in a dumpster fire of a division so his stats are bloated as a result.

Wallstedt is so technically strong as well as being incredibly athletic. On top of that he's also really technically sound. Wallstedt's game is really mature and he just seems to be in the right place at the right time. He's aggressive but not so much that he's out of place when challenging shooters. Wallstedt definitely deserves to be ranked up with Spencer Knight and Yaroslavl Askarov as the next generation of great goalie prospects in the league. All 3 are the kind of goalies that have the potential to turn into a 60+ game starter.

What made Detroit pick Cossa over Wallstedt was Chris Osgood interviewed Cossa, they hit it off as two western Canadian boys do, and he recommended Cossa over Wallstedt to the Wings brass. Not underlying analytics. Not quality of competition. This is a pick that has me hoping for a miracle that Cossa can also be a true franchise level goalie but as of right now I think that will only be Wallstedt. It's definitely feeling like the Wings picked McCollum over Markstrom all over again. And I'm even more worried this is going to be a bust of a pick because Detroit has been f***ing horrendous at developing goalies the past 30 years.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Uh, no. Not at all. The guy was terrific as a rookie.

I'm sure Cossa will be a good goalie in the league but I'm not sure if he's Devan Dubnyk, Sean Burke or the next Ben Bishop. He was drafted by my favorite team (Detroit) and people talk about "elite athleticism" but I haven't seen that from him in all the footage I've seen. Hee's great on his posts but part of that is because he's so damn big, but I'm not seeing great technical skills or a great glove. Cossa was also on a total powerhouse team in a dumpster fire of a division so his stats are bloated as a result.

Wallstedt is so technically strong as well as being incredibly athletic. On top of that he's also really technically sound. Wallstedt's game is really mature and he just seems to be in the right place at the right time. He's aggressive but not so much that he's out of place when challenging shooters. Wallstedt definitely deserves to be ranked up with Spencer Knight and Yaroslavl Askarov as the next generation of great goalie prospects in the league. All 3 are the kind of goalies that have the potential to turn into a 60+ game starter.

What made Detroit pick Cossa over Wallstedt was Chris Osgood interviewed Cossa, they hit it off as two western Canadian boys do, and he recommended Cossa over Wallstedt to the Wings brass. Not underlying analytics. Not quality of competition. This is a pick that has me hoping for a miracle that Cossa can also be a true franchise level goalie but as of right now I think that will only be Wallstedt. It's definitely feeling like the Wings picked McCollum over Markstrom all over again. And I'm even more worried this is going to be a bust of a pick because Detroit has been f***ing horrendous at developing goalies the past 30 years.

At approximately the 3/4 mark they talk about the knocks on wallstedt if you're interested.

Fwiw i don't agree with the assessment. Sometimes prospects are so good for so long scouts start nit-picking players rather than focusing on why they are elite to begin with.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

At approximately the 3/4 mark they talk about the knocks on wallstedt if you're interested.

Fwiw i don't agree with the assessment. Sometimes prospects are so good for so long scouts start nit-picking players rather than focusing on why they are elite to begin with.

I've heard them and I don't buy it.
"But how much better can he get?"

Also it's bullshit that they talk about Wallstedt's mobility is "at least average" and lacking explosiveness. I think it was Smahtscouting who showed the metrics of goalies up-down and post to post speed and Wallstedt was flat out faster than Cossa in all categories with much better rebound control. Wallstedt doesn't need to rely on his athleticism as much as Cossa because he's so much better at reading the play and positioning in net.

Seriously, people are just in love with Cossa because his height. It's not like Wallstedt is a midget. The guy is 6'3".

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I've heard them and I don't buy it.
"But how much better can he get?"

Also it's bullshit that they talk about Wallstedt's mobility is "at least average" and lacking explosiveness. I think it was Smahtscouting who showed the metrics of goalies up-down and post to post speed and Wallstedt was flat out faster than Cossa in all categories with much better rebound control. Wallstedt doesn't need to rely on his athleticism as much as Cossa because he's so much better at reading the play and positioning in net.

Seriously, people are just in love with Cossa because his height. It's not like Wallstedt is a midget. The guy is 6'3".

No disrespect to Cossa's accomplishments thus far but it seems he got hot at the right time.

I would always value a draft eligible player succeeding again pro players in Sweden higher than a hot goalie on the best junior team in Canada playing only divisional games and no playoffs.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
No disrespect to Cossa's accomplishments thus far but it seems he got hot at the right time.

I would always value a draft eligible player succeeding again pro players in Sweden higher than a hot goalie on the best junior team in Canada playing only divisional games and no playoffs.

He didn’t get hot at the right time, he was a high WHL pick and was ranked in the 1st round last year. It’s not like he came out of no where.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Toss up. I think I had them one spot apart on my list. I don’t even remember who I had ahead. Different types of goalies, but late first round types. They both went in a range where I thought the value wasn’t bad. I didn’t agree with the Knight/Askarov range or higher that some suggested.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
He didn’t get hot at the right time, he was a high WHL pick and was ranked in the 1st round last year. It’s not like he came out of no where.

No, he didn't come out of nowhere however i have all the 2020 draft guides and in the "players to watch" for 2021 every publication talks about Wallstedt as a top 10 possebly top 5 goaltender. (Except hockeyprospect.com) Cossa is mentioned in some but not all publications and was never talked about as a 1st round pick let alone someone who should be selected ahead of any other goalie in the draft.

As someone who lives near Edmonton i only heard of Cossa last season as good bet to go in the late first round / early 2nd round.

Cossa 's incredible season and numbers probably pushed him 15-20 spots higher while Wallstedt fell 10-15 spots for whatever reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad