Prospect Info: Cossa Crushing it in Grand Rapids

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It might not hurt him but it certainly won't help him. So much of the game is mental for goalies, there's no reason to cause more problems. Remember Jim Carey? He went from Vezina to garbage in a year. Haven't trusted a goalie since, lol.

Yeah, but he he was more interested in acting, so he chose that route instead!

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It's never gonna happen so let it go dude.

Vasilevskiy was not inserted into Tampa Bay's lineup while the team was free falling from the sky with the hopes him as a rookie would take the reigns and secure a playoff spot...
Wasn't a matter of a securing a playoff spot, no. But Bishop got lit up 4 games in a row and then Nabokov started a game and was also blown up, so there was a bit of a freefall. TB went from leading the conference to 4th in less than 2 weeks. Enter Vasi playing a handful of games to help stabilize the ship. They tried Nabby 3 more games the rest of the season and he got blown up every game so Vasi stayed up as the backup to Bishop through the Final.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Think Cossa should be promoted up now.

He need a new hot goalie, when all the three have cooled down.

Give him 9 regular season games of the last 14. Then send back to Griffs.

View attachment 837780

Send Husso down, no one would claim him, and would make both teams better. :)
It may not hurt to try, I seem to recall the Habs one year brought up a tall lanky kid for the last few games of the season, he grabbed the net, if I recall correctly, won a cup and a Conn Smythe that year and the Calder Tophy the next year, I think his name was Ken Dryden 😉 mind you the Habs were bit of a powerhouse in the making, but Ken was a raw rookie and made the leapt. But rather that just promote him, ask him if he thinks he is ready for a cup of coffee.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Cossa now has a better save percentage than Wallstedt and Askarov.

I'm not going to claim he's now a better prospect, but for him to even be in the conversation after the sideways track last year is a huge development.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
I guess two things can be true.
Yes, keep in mind that goalie success is often very team defense system dependent and how well the system is executed. I am assuming that GR has/is aligning with the wings system so hopefully, a seamless integration of players is attained as the graduates arrive to the big club.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Cossa now has a better save percentage than Wallstedt and Askarov.

I'm not going to claim he's now a better prospect, but for him to even be in the conversation after the sideways track last year is a huge development.
He played really good in Toledo last year. Numbers were almost similar.

AHL coach this year is the coach that was with him in Toledo. (Dan Watson)

I'm not sure it's long ( year or two) before we see Watson get a NHL job. He's turning the Griffins around fast and sustained high success with Toledo in the ECHL for more than a few years.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
What a Regular Season for Cossa

22-9-9 2.41 GAA .913 SV% 2 SO

Took firm control of the Net for the Griffs... Calder Cup Playoffs next

Not bad for a 21 year old

Like I said in the Griffins thread, statistically the best AHL season between Cossa, Wallstedt, and Askarov.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Can't wait to see what he does in the playoffs. If Yzerman hit a home run with this guy, it changes the future outlook drastically.

Reactions: DamonDRW

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Can't wait to see what he does in the playoffs. If Yzerman hit a home run with this guy, it changes the future outlook drastically.
How so? Even the best goalies have been up and down over the last several years.

I'm a fan of Cossa, but even if he's the next HoF netminder, he still needs a good roster in front of him to truly be successful. He's important, but just one of several important pieces.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
How so? Even the best goalies have been up and down over the last several years.

I'm a fan of Cossa, but even if he's the next HoF netminder, he still needs a good roster in front of him to truly be successful. He's important, but just one of several important pieces.
With a true starting goalie we get into the playoffs this year.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
With a true starting goalie we get into the playoffs this year.
Agreed. But the question was whether it changes the FUTURE outlook DRASTICALLY. This isn't a roster that needs just one piece to fix all its problems.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022

You really need someone to explain to you how having a stud goaltender helps a franchise?

And yeah, we also need other guys in front of him, that isn't any kind of revelation.

The Wings have some roster pieces in place and possibly more coming, so that part of the process is working its way out right now.

But stud goaltending can hide warts. We have all seen examples of this. Washington doesn't sniff the playoffs if not for Lindgren's play.

Reactions: raymond23

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
You really need someone to explain to you how having a stud goaltender helps a franchise?

And yeah, we also need other guys in front of him, that isn't any kind of revelation.

The Wings have some roster pieces in place and possibly more coming, so that part of the process is working its way out right now.

But stud goaltending can hide warts. We have all seen examples of this. Washington doesn't sniff the playoffs if not for Lindgren's play.
Words matter.

"If Yzerman hit a home run with this guy, it changes the future outlook drastically."

That's a very different thing than saying, had Cossa already become the next Patrick Roy and been on the roster this year, Detroit makes the playoffs.

Does he help? Absolutely.
Does a stud in net hide other deficiencies? Yes.

Does that piece, however important, DRASTICALLY change the future outlook? No, because 1) most discussions have revolved around the kids (including Cossa) panning out, and 2) this roster, even with adding the best goaltender in the league, still has quite a ways to go.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023

What they are saying is if you got consistent 2.40, .910 goaltending the whole year in either Reimer or Lyon's time... that would be 7-10 goals less which would likely have been enough to make the playoffs.

The Wings make the playoffs pretty easily if they have a legit G this year and aren't riding their #2 and #3 for the last two thirds of the season.

Crunchy

Jan 27, 2020
Dear god change this thread title. Have we not learned our collective lesson on the impact of thread titles on future outcomes?!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad