Cory Schneider or Brian Elliot?

DreamCatcher*

Who do you think is better and has more potential?

Cory Schneider is anchoring the youngest college team in history to the frozen four finals making back-to-back shutouts along with a 36 save preformance in the semis and 37 save preformance but resulted in a loss to Wisconsin. Cory Schneider also had 8 shutouts and tying a college record for longest goals not allowed, also was named the best goalie in the frozen four.

Brian Elliot has acommplished a lot in his young career although infront of the top team in college, he has been solid having the best stats in the regular season and shared 1st in shutouts(with Cory Schneider). He also posted back-to-back shutouts in the frozen four and stopped 22 shots for the winning cause for the NCAA championship.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roy G Biv*

Schneider for now.

If Elliot has another outstanding year with Wisconsin, I might change my tune.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Schneider

Elliott doesn't face as many quality shots because Wisconsin's defence is so good. I'm not knocking him, he put up great numbers, but I've heard when he's faced with good shots, he has trouble controlling rebounds. On a team that doesn't have a solid defence, that can quickly inflate a goalie's numbers.

Spezza

Dec 13, 2002
Ottawa <-> Scotland
I think you have to go with Schneider - goalies don't go that high for no good reason.

It's tough to pin Elliot's future role in the NHL. He not had that much exposure and he wasn't even on the map when it came to his draft year. This might be unfair, but I think there is always going to be a question mark on an unhearlded goalie doing well for a top team.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Schneider has been a very solid goalie for a good 3 seasons now, once being high school. Elliot has yet to prove himself. With this, I say Schneider in a heartbeat.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I've said for two years now that Schneider would end up being the best goaltender out of 2004 draft class. He has done nothing to make me waiver on that thought and has only confirmed it in my eyes.

I'll take Schneider over Elliot rather easily.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
I think Elliot was helped by the team in front of him- Wisconny played a defensive oriented system...

...but I am not sold on Schneider, he has been less than impressive from what I have seen of him- primarily WJC's and a game here and there.

KH1

Patty Ice said:
I've said for two years now that Schneider would end up being the best goaltender out of 2004 draft class. He has done nothing to make me waiver on that thought and has only confirmed it in my eyes.

As have I. I've been more or less alone on the Schnieder bandwagon since he was drafted--I'm not about to hop off now that it's becoming popular.

naihlflames

Nov 18, 2003
Detroit MI
Untouchable said:
. Cory Schneider also had 8 shutouts and tying a college record for longest goals not allowed, also was named the best goalie in the frozen four.

I'm not weighing in on who's better, but the HF article says Brian Elliott was the goalie for the all tournament team.

Frozen Four All-Tournament team
Goal: Brian Elliott, Wisconsin
http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=8585&mode=threaded&order=0

DreamCatcher*

naihlflames said:
I'm not weighing in on who's better, but the HF article says Brian Elliott was the goalie for the all tournament team.

Frozen Four All-Tournament team
Goal: Brian Elliott, Wisconsin
http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=8585&mode=threaded&order=0
I was referring to the best goalie in hockey east sorry about that mixup. Also found out something else interesting, Schnieder broke the record in BC history for the most saves in a season.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Ive watch Schneider a few times this season and he's too impressive to be honest. Ive seen him give up quite a few softies in those games. But ive also seen him dominate a game. He needs work on his consistency for next season before taking it to the next level.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Patty Ice said:

How come it seems we always agree on prospects? :dunno:

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
Before this year no one expected this to be close at all. But it is now, Elliot has had a better year than Schneider has but Schneider is a name prospect so he clearly wins...

Don Draper

Feb 7, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
SenSk9tSen said:
Before this year no one expected this to be close at all. But it is now, Elliot has had a better year than Schneider has but Schneider is a name prospect so he clearly wins...

keep things in perspective. Elliott needs to prove himself yet, although as an 8th round pick, hes doing alot better than most could have ever assumed.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I've seen Elliott on a number of occasions over the past couple seasons and he doesn't strike me as having big upside at the pro level. I think he's alot a product of the team he plays for. He definitely has talent, but don't gauge him by his numbers. He isn't that good. As someone has said, his rebound control needs alot of work, as does his focus at times. Playing behind a strong defensive team has allowed him to not be 100% focused at all times and it does show through on occasion. I would have to see what he did next year and then in the pros before I started comparing him to 1st round goalies.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
SenSk9tSen said:
Name prospect? He gets almost no air-time around here.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Your telling me a guy with a 0.938 sv% lacks concentration?

And goalie prospects are BY far the most unpredictable of all.

Belfour - Not drafted
Cujo - Not drafted
Hasek - 10th round pick
Roy - 3rd round pick
Kiprussof - 5th round pick
Lundqvist - 7th round pick
Turco - 5th round pick
Khabibulin - 9th round pick
Gerber - 8th round pick

And I could go on. There are BY FAR more goalies in the NHL drafted late than from the first round. And they are BY FAR the hardest prospects to nail down.

Don Draper

Feb 7, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
Egil said:
Your telling me a guy with a 0.938 sv% lacks concentration?

And goalie prospects are BY far the most unpredictable of all.

Belfour - Not drafted
Cujo - Not drafted
Hasek - 10th round pick
Roy - 3rd round pick
Kiprussof - 5th round pick
Lundqvist - 7th round pick
Turco - 5th round pick
Khabibulin - 9th round pick
Gerber - 8th round pick

And I could go on. There are BY FAR more goalies in the NHL drafted late than from the first round. And they are BY FAR the hardest prospects to nail down.

which is why I always question a team that burns a 1st on a goalie, I will never understand it

KH1

SenSk9tSen said:
Since when was Schnieder a big name prospect around here? He's almost never mentioned!

As for the question of drafting a goalie in the first round, it's like drafting quarterbacks in the NFL. Yeah a lot of great goalies came from late rounds. But how many more great goalies have come from the first round than the late rounds? How many late round goalies amount to nothing?

There's a reason that some guys go in the first and others go in the seventh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad