cory perry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garnet

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Corey Perry

I live about 5mins outside of London and split watching the Knights and Rangers games. Corey Perry I think has the same style as Doug Weight when Doug first came into the league. Perry is a very gifted passer and is becoming a better goal scorer every season. Perry is a slient leader kind like Weight in my opinion. Perry added a lot of muscle last summer and Im looking forward to see what he does this year.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Garnet said:
I live about 5mins outside of London and split watching the Knights and Rangers games. Corey Perry I think has the same style as Doug Weight when Doug first came into the league. Perry is a very gifted passer and is becoming a better goal scorer every season. Perry is a slient leader kind like Weight in my opinion. Perry added a lot of muscle last summer and Im looking forward to see what he does this year.

I agree 100%, he will be the 2nd highest point leader in the CHL this year behind only Crosby IMO. Doug Weight is a great comparison but Perry will have to continue to add muscle and strength in order to reach his peak.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
OneSpeedOnly said:
Dan Cleary, with less skill.

Not a big Perry fan, eh? Regardless, I think it'd take alot of bad things to happen for Perry to come close to what Cleary is. Doug Weight is a very good comparison, if he keeps getting stronger, and it looks like he will get alot stronger over the next couple years. He should make the NHL in a couple years, and as long as he keeps getting stronger and he keeps his determination up, he should do just fine.

Chuckalinsky

May 1, 2004
OneSpeedOnly said:
Don't even get me started... :shakehead I'll stay out of this thread from now on..

C'mon I wanna hear what you have to say. You gotta hear both sides of the fence. Can you back your claims? :dunno:

mad chemist

Jun 24, 2004
quebec city
trahans99 said:
I agree 100%, he will be the 2nd highest point leader in the CHL this year behind only Crosby IMO. Doug Weight is a great comparison but Perry will have to continue to add muscle and strength in order to reach his peak.

I don't think it's corey that finnish second after crosby it's corey locke a habs prospect but perry have finnish 5 points lower that locke but to compare corey perry i don't know because i've never see him so i can't say i agree or not.

link:
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/...top_scorers&subType=0&seasonId=21&lastActive=

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Weight? Weight is a slick skating, feisty, average sized playmaking centre.

Perry is a winger, needs to work on his skating, is quite a bit taller than Weight, isn't the most intense guy out there but does possess some great puck skills.

I fail to see the comparison.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Very proficient stickhandler and great offensive instincts, Perry is especially dangerous off the rush and in close to the net. His Physical play along the boards isn't what it might be one day, (although he's a good playmaker off the side boards during the PP) Perry doesn't have the strength to fight through checks on the cycle and at times large defenseman can pin him to the boards fairly easily. His shot is good, but not great... alot of his goals come from in close anyways, but his shot could use a little work. Perry's game is comparable to the way Jason Allison played in junior.

Note: Perry's got a Kirk Maltby esque, set of antics. You name it, exagerating when he's shoved after the whistle, trash talking, working the officials, shooting the puck into the net after whistles to mess with the goalie and anything else he thinks might get under the skin of the opposition. At the same time Perry takes alot of abuse himself, as other teams pay alot of attention to him and try to physically wear him down. He draws his fair share of haters, but you can't question his competitive drive and will to win games.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Chuckalinsky said:
C'mon I wanna hear what you have to say. You gotta hear both sides of the fence. Can you back your claims? :dunno:

I think Perry is awful, I really do, he has legitimate NHL size but cannot use it to his advantage at all. He has zero strength on the puck, and turns the puck over a ton. He can't cycle and his play against the boards is atrocious. Combine that with average skating and defense and poor passing vision and you're looking right into the eyes of a bust.

One thing that could save Perry is that he has good offensive awareness away from the puck, his positioning is excellent and makes his shot look better than it is.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
OneSpeedOnly said:
poor passing vision
Corey Perry is an incredible passer, if a linemate gets good position with his stick on the ice, than Perry will find him. This guy provided Dylan Hunter with enough tap in goals to get him drafted into the NHL. His OHL leading totals in assists is also a pretty good indication of how great Perry's vision is aswell.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Boomhower said:
Corey Perry is an incredible passer, if a linemate gets good position with his stick on the ice, than Perry will find him.

What I mean is that He makes poor passing desicions. He is a good tape to tape guy but will often give it to the wrong person. On the Knights this didn't matter so much because they were so stacked, they could bail themselves out of tough situations. He is a much better open ice passer than along the boards/cycling psser though.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Chuckalinsky said:
Just wondering if any of the poster's here have seen Perry play live?

I've seen Perry live over 30 times as I watch every Knights game on tv and go to many games. I have seen him progress over the past 3 years and will continue this year. I seen him when he was a skinny 16 year old that was pummeled at every chance b/c the other team knew of his abilities. He had alot of skill at 16 and has progressed very nicely. If he can continue to get stronger he will be a great NHLer one day. If he doesn't then he'll be a minor leaguer. I predict the first option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad