Speculation: Cory Conacher -- what can we expect?

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
This little corner of the internet is so wonderfully Canadian. Only forum I've ever been a part of where people will apologize or admit that maybe they were wrong.

Awesome.

2012-04-30-canadianproblems.jpg

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
His only problem is defensive coverage. He was all over the zone chasing the puck rather then playing his man and playing the left side and staying in position.

Easily correctable.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Hey, no Americans on here.

How's you and your gf, bro?

:sarcasm:

I'm half Canadian so I think I qualify to post here haha.

Anyways...back to topic. Like other people have mentioned, I think Cory's defensive problem is in positioning, as we can already see its not a lack of effort. Moral to the story is that its something that can be fixed.

And I don't even think that's really a problem anyways. Ideally, you don't want any defensive liabilities, but who else on our team really qualifies? I don't think we really have anyone to be honest.

Were not even a true defensive team like the Rangers for instance, and they employed defensive superstars like Gaborik and Gilroy, yet came first in the east last year.

Conacher is here to be creative, make plays, and score, and he will get the chance to, and will continue to as long as he produces. If he at least puts effort into the other side of the puck, he will get the ice time here to succeed from the Stache and grow his game imo.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
On that note, it really looks like Conacher is going to be a huge boost to our transition game. It looks like most/all of his success has come at speed this year. He's always forcing turnovers, making passes, etc. then driving the net full bore. Going to be exciting to watch him, especially when EK, Spez & others are back.

EK will have a new target for his breakout passes, and one that is in motion. Will be sweet.

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
As much as the Calder line is flying out there, both Zibanejad and Silfverberg must secretly hate playing with the Honeybadger. "How the hell am I supposed to catch him in the rookie scoring race when I keep setting him up with goals lol

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
As much as the Calder line is flying out there, both Zibanejad and Silfverberg must secretly hate playing with the Honeybadger. "How the hell am I supposed to catch him in the rookie scoring race when I keep setting him up with goals lol

lool

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
At least there can be (mostly) unanimous opinion that Conacher has looked great in his first 2 games. Nice to see him bury one tonight.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
At least there can be (mostly) unanimous opinion that Conacher has looked great in his first 2 games. Nice to see him bury one tonight.

Im impressed he finished off that pass. Condra, greening, smith, Turris, regin, and latendresse all would have somehow missed it.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Im impressed he finished off that pass. Condra, greening, smith, Turris, regin, and latendresse all would have somehow missed it.

Haha yeah, a lot of his goals have looked like easy tap-ins, but he gets open, does it quick, and most importantly, he finishes. We've been starving for that type of guy.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
It's funny you guys say that my friend and I were talking the other day about how weird it is that all these players score decently in the AHL but for some reason even just conpleteky miss the net so much in the NHL.

It's kind of weird.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It drives me nuts when I see Chris Neil out on the powerplay instead of Conacher. He's been great in his first two games. The Conacher - Zibanejad - Silfverberg line has easily been our best and most consistent. I love the element he brings to this team.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
It's funny you guys say that my friend and I were talking the other day about how weird it is that all these players score decently in the AHL but for some reason even just conpleteky miss the net so much in the NHL.

It's kind of weird.

In the AHL you get that little bit more time in most situations. The NHL is a faster game, and it's a lot harder to get good shots away.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
In the AHL you get that little bit more time in most situations. The NHL is a faster game, and it's a lot harder to get good shots away.

As they always say, the biggest thing young players have to learn is to adapt to the speed of the NHL game. Suffice to say that it ain't Conacher's problem.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
You see it? A 30G 30A player. I see it.

I could definitely see that. He's really hard on the puck, good hands, good speed, good hockey sense and he doesn't seem to give up on the play. If this guy was 6'1 he might be a superstar the way he plays.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
It drives me nuts when I see Chris Neil out on the powerplay instead of Conacher.

If you understood what Neil's role was out there, maybe you'd breathe easier.

What drives me nuts on the PP is over-handling/over-passing the puck, and getting outnumbered in the corner or on the boards in general.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If you understood what Neil's role was out there, maybe you'd breathe easier.

What drives me nuts on the PP is over-handling/over-passing the puck, and getting outnumbered in the corner or on the boards in general.

Ah yes, please, explain what Neil's role is out there so I can understand why someone with hands and scoring ability isn't out there instead.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Ah yes, please, explain what Neil's role is out there so I can understand why someone with hands and scoring ability isn't out there instead.

Tomas Holmstrom ring a bell?

He's there to create traffic and take a beating in front of the net- hardly a role Conacher is in competition for.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Neil has a history of being put out to screen the goalie and cause havoc in front. His best season for that was a while ago in 05/06 when he put up 13 PP pts, but he was fairly effective in that role just last year with 6 pp pts, (edit: bad math)

As an aside, Neil actually has some pretty soft hands in close for a player of his ilk.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Tomas Holmstrom ring a bell?

He's there to create traffic and take a beating in front of the net- hardly a role Conacher is in competition for.

Neil has a history of being put out to screen the goalie and cause havoc in front. His best season for that was a while ago in 05/06 when he put up 13 PP pts, but he was fairly effective in that role just last year with 6 pp pts, (edit: bad math)

As an aside, Neil actually has some pretty soft hands in close for a player of his ilk.

I'm aware of why Neil is put out there -- but the reality is that he is just not effective at it. I get giving vets a chance, but I'd rather see many players out there instead of Neil. Maybe someone that is a bigger body and has better hand-eye, or someone like Conacher who actually is quite effective in front of the net.

Neil brings nothing to the powerplay except standing in front of the net. Might as well put Kassian out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->