Speculation: Cory Conacher -- what can we expect?

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Awfully good on his skates - he's in constant motion, is very quick. A breath of fresh after seeing to many Sens static on their feet and not getting into the open. He brings great new energy into the team.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
Awfully good on his skates - he's in constant motion, is very quick. A breath of fresh after seeing to many Sens static on their feet and not getting into the open. He brings great new energy into the team.

Too bad that energy was not existent in the rest of the team...

Goat Boy

Jun 8, 2011
Yeah, the energy part of his game is HUGE for this team. One game and he's already one of my favourite players. Hopefully the other players will catch on a bit. ;)

Milan the God*

He took a ton of abuse. Got high-sticked, blocked a shot then went to the bench afterwards. Drove hard to the net. Had speed to burn. I loved his game last night. He played a big part in both of our goals.

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
He took a ton of abuse. Got high-sticked, blocked a shot then went to the bench afterwards. Drove hard to the net. Had speed to burn. I loved his game last night. He played a big part in both of our goals.

If he was a little bit bigger, he would create havoc around the net. The amount of crosschecks, face washes and hits he took were hard to watch especially since he is small. Wish greening and latendresse learn something from him

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Liked conachers game last night, unfortuantely hes the only sen I thought did anything besides make stupid mistakes. does bring big time speed and does a great job backing the defenders up once he gets passed the blue. I find most of our players slow down once they hit the blue line and look for a play (unless theyve already dumped the puck in which is usually just a pass to the other team) next year id like to see hoffman and conacher both in our starting lineup to spread the speed around.
And is there a way on this forum to get notifications if youve been responded to? or do i have to just keep checking?

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I agree, the lost dump-ins were so agravating. And when they did reach them, the Buffalo d could break it up and fling the puck to the open wing, where no Senators could pressure.

Don't bother looking for replies, none will be worth reading.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ah good reply bad reply its all for the fun of argument. I just hate logging on and there's been 20 posts since mina haha.
and yeah the team looked lost last night. My ONLY problem with Maclean is that he still has Red Wing syndrome. No matter how the team is treated by opposing players he wants them to "stick to the game plan". we are not detroit we cant get revenge by scoring 5 goals. last night if murray was coach he would have had ott taken care of and buffalo would have backed off. I mean this is why we have kassian.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Ah good reply bad reply its all for the fun of argument. I just hate logging on and there's been 20 posts since mina haha.
and yeah the team looked lost last night. My ONLY problem with Maclean is that he still has Red Wing syndrome. No matter how the team is treated by opposing players he wants them to "stick to the game plan". we are not detroit we cant get revenge by scoring 5 goals. last night if murray was coach he would have had ott taken care of and buffalo would have backed off. I mean this is why we have kassian.

I think we approach the team a lot more differently than Maclean does right now. He is looking at this team for the future and I honestly think that RIGHT NOW, W's and L's mean less to him than teaching the young guys lessons about hockey. If you listen to his press conferences, he comes off like a teacher after losses, saying: "I sent him back out there after a bad play to atone." or "I didn't like how player x responded". He is building this team for future greatness imo. Which is why he doesn't divert from the game plan too often. He wants them to stick to it, because when they do, it works.

It when they (minus the kids line) come out lazy and flat, that's when it doesn't work. Conacher and the other guys on his line developed chances every time they were on the ice. I loved when he blew past the defenders, swung behind the net, and stuck a tape-to-tape pass on Silf's stick which he one-timed for a great save by Miller. He is going to be a favorite here.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
I think we approach the team a lot more differently than Maclean does right now. He is looking at this team for the future and I honestly think that RIGHT NOW, W's and L's mean less to him than teaching the young guys lessons about hockey. If you listen to his press conferences, he comes off like a teacher after losses, saying: "I sent him back out there after a bad play to atone." or "I didn't like how player x responded". He is building this team for future greatness imo. Which is why he doesn't divert from the game plan too often. He wants them to stick to it, because when they do, it works.

I think you're totally right about P Mac's approach. It will probably frustrate fans, especially this year with top players out, but we are still in the middle of the rebuild. Even with nothing different than getting all our players back, sticking to the plan should be (more) successful.

On that note, it really looks like Conacher is going to be a huge boost to our transition game. It looks like most/all of his success has come at speed this year. He's always forcing turnovers, making passes, etc. then driving the net full bore. Going to be exciting to watch him, especially when EK, Spez & others are back.

And can somebody tell Brennan that we're not going to be calling Conacher "Little Train." It's going to catch on about as well as his ridiculous "Swench Connection" suggestion last week. I swear, for a newspaper I only read because it's free to me, I sure do regret reading the sports section a lot. :shakehead

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

It when they (minus the kids line) come out lazy and flat, that's when it doesn't work. Conacher and the other guys on his line developed chances every time they were on the ice. I loved when he blew past the defenders, swung behind the net, and stuck a tape-to-tape pass on Silf's stick which he one-timed for a great save by Miller. He is going to be a favorite here.

I agree fully with this.

We say a ton of Smith, Neil, Kassian, Regin, Greening etc...

The guys who usually get less minutes against bigger name teams.

He does it to keep their morale stronger and develop their games better in situations they can excel which adds to their game to produce more in more limited role.

Our 2nd line was easily our best line but he gave more chances for the first and 3rd lines, imo.

Especially even strength.

It's all smart coaching. Heck, we should have won that game even without fully using our arsenals.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Lmao, honesly, do you watch anyone play?

I guess me and the rest of the Tampa fanbase just throw out random comments. Conacher lays on the ice a lot. He is not strong on his skates.

Agree with most things here, he might not score you the highlight goals, but he gets the dirty goals and after all goal is goal.
Has a ton of heart and brings 110% every night and never gives up on plays.
Defensive problems were already mentioned enough, but he really lands on his ass a lot, if he could stay on his skates longer, that could help.

That was a quote from a Bolts fan in his scouting report. D/w though, your laughing and making fun of other people really shows your hockey knowledge. Thumbs up.

Definitely not the weakest part of his game. He is effective because he is such a strong skater. He gets knocked down a lot because of how hard he crashes the net (the reason both goals went in against Buffalo was from his screen)

Well, when I say weakest part of his game I think it's something that he needs to work on most based on my viewings. I heard defensive issues but he looked great defensively in his first game. Backchecked hard, blocked shots and generally wasn't out of position. He broke out of the zone well too. He was hard on the puck all night, but yeah he fell on the ice a lot. He's a great skater but he isn't very strong on his skates.

Last edited:

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
That was a quote from a Bolts fan in his scouting report. D/w though, your laughing and making fun of other people really shows your hockey knowledge. Thumbs up.

Who's to say that guy isn't the MAK of the Tampa board, though?:sarcasm:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Hahahahahaha, CJ you are something else.

You made this post at 5:15...:

"I guess me and the rest of the Tampa fanbase just throw out random comments. Conacher lays on the ice a lot. He is not strong on his skates."

You then went to the Tampa forum and asked this question at 5:16:

Has Conacher always been weak on his skates? Seemed to be falling on the ice a lot in his debut. Besides that he was amazing.

Then you re-edited your post because you found something that suits you at 5:26.

You made your original comment on Conacher not being strong on his skates before you even saw that guy's assessment of him.

What's even funnier is that you edited your post to make fun of my knowledge.

Get booked.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Plus it's logic sense.

A guy who is 5'8 and play the game he plays, especially going into the corners and getting the puck, is impossible to be effective if you aren't strong on your skates.

Also, "falling on your ass." =/= not strong on your skates.

Like someone here said, it's the way that he attacks the net that forces strong collisions. Like Hartnell's game.

You made a simple error, it's ok man. I'm not making fun of your knowledge...

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

"I guess me and the rest of the Tampa fanbase just throw out random comments. Conacher lays on the ice a lot. He is not strong on his skates."

Then you re-edited your post because you found something that suits you at 5:26.

You made your original comment on Conacher not being strong on his skates before you even saw that guy's assessment of him.

Get booked.

Detective RKL on the case!

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I guess Hartnell is actually really weak. :sarcasm:

Ill take a player that falls over a lot from going to the dirty areas than a player that rarely falls over that doesn't go to the dirty areas.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Yep.

Yes I did, to further strengthen my point so as not to only have one poster to quote.

I edited my post multiple times so as not to clog up the topic. The original time I edited the post was because I went to find the post that I originally saw speaking to Conacher falling on the ice a lot. That was on the first page and was posted 3 days ago. Here is the specific post for you:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=63172459&postcount=20

Get booked.

See above.

However, I didn't make fun of your knowledge -- I was pointing out more to the fact that you act high and mighty, talk **** instead of just having a rational discussion because I challenged something that you said in a previous post. Something that someone that has watched him all season and I disagree with.

Ill take a player that falls over a lot from going to the dirty areas than a player that rarely falls over that doesn't go to the dirty areas.

Me too -- I was just pointing out something I noticed in the game, and had seen before from the Tampa topic.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Alright, I understand CJ, the way I answered your criticism of my original assessment was not very professional, I apologize for that. I only did so cause lately you've been on a personal Vedanta against me and I thought you were at it again.

Who knows, but I'm speaking off of multiple viewings of Conacher, that's why I'm confident he is strong on skates, didn't meant to come off as a ****.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Alright, I understand CJ, the way I answered your criticism of my original assessment was not very professional, I apologize for that. I only did so cause lately you've been on a personal Vedanta against me and I thought you were at it again.

Who knows, but I'm speaking off of multiple viewings of Conacher, that's why I'm confident he is strong on skates, didn't meant to come off as a ****.

No problem...I don't remember going at you since that time you told me to get off your nuts...lol. That said I was just pointing out what I saw -- and that was a lot of Conacher on the ice and I remembered that post is all.

Looking forward to broadening the scope of my assessment over the season.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
This little corner of the internet is so wonderfully Canadian. Only forum I've ever been a part of where people will apologize or admit that maybe they were wrong.

Awesome.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
No problem...I don't remember going at you since that time you told me to get off your nuts...lol. That said I was just pointing out what I saw -- and that was a lot of Conacher on the ice and I remembered that post is all.

Looking forward to broadening the scope of my assessment over the season.

He was on the ice a lot last night but because he got a major stick to the face, was shoved from behind by a defender in the crease and was blind-sided.

I remember this one play where he went around the net and a bigger defender(Weber) tried to knock him off and simply couldn't. Usually, a guy with his size going that fast facing the momentum of the defender, would get knocked off quite easily.

We almost scored on that play too cause he came around and feed a beautiful saucer to Silfverberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->