Corvo

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I was going to make this post, but thank you for it. Corvo was signed for 1 year/2 million. It was a gamble going into the season, and a very small one at that considering what other defenders got. If Corvo isn't up to par, it's on Muller to take him out, not JR.

It's partly on JR, because while it's only 1 year of Corvo and that's a relatively minor gamble, we also only have 1 year of another (should be) key player in Semin.

If you're going to gamble on Semin to become a strong Top 6 player that would hopefully help this team make the playoffs, you can't gamble on a player like Corvo in the same season.

Now if this was a transition year, absolutely, Corvo is a minor deal. But since from the very beginning, it was made obvious that the Canes were going to start making a playoff (if not Cup) push, and some of the deals made (namely Semin) enforced that goal, signing Corvo instead of a competent defenseman doesn't make much sense.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Corvo makes 200k more than McBain who they just sat. You can easily bury him in the press box if it doesn't work out, and that'd be on Muller to do. At that point it'd be as if they didn't sign anyone, which some of you preferred anyway. I'm not trying to completely absolve JR, but he doesn't keep an abysmal player in the lineup.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
To paraphrase one of my favorite films:

To Jim Rutherford:

We the Anton fearing people of Hurricane fandom wish to express our extreme displeasure with your choice of Tim Gleason's partner.. Please remove him immediately! The fact that you have sent him here just goes to prove that you are the leading ******* in the state!

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
To paraphrase one of my favorite films:

To Jim Rutherford:

We the Anton fearing people of Hurricane fandom wish to express our extreme displeasure with your choice of Tim Gleason's partner.. Please remove him immediately! The fact that you have sent him here just goes to prove that you are the leading ******* in the state!

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you get rid of Joe Corvo now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you get rid of Joe Corvo now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

That escalated quickly

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
So, I walked in to a local ice rink this morning for my kid's game and there sat Joe Corvo and his wife watching their son in the game before ours. I walked by with my Hurricanes jacket on and he nodded at me. It took everything I had to keep it classy.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So, I walked in to a local ice rink this morning for my kid's game and there sat Joe Corvo and his wife watching their son in the game before ours. I walked by with my Hurricanes jacket on and he nodded at me. It took everything I had to keep it classy.

Well done, must've been tough.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country

I ran into or new Russian player today, and was quite surprised at the cigarette smell coming off his tracksuit. Did a quick Google search and found that yes, he is a smoker! Did not know that!

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
I was shocked that Rick Vaive smoked back in the early 90s. I was at a Sabres/Caps game back in 90 or 91 and saw Vaive smoking after the game. And then Mario was a smoker too. But in this day and age, pro hockey players smoking, I admit, I'm shocked.

alex-semin-smoking.jpg

Apparently Carey Price is a smoker too!

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I was shocked that Rick Vaive smoked back in the early 90s. I was at a Sabres/Caps game back in 90 or 91 and saw Vaive smoking after the game. And then Mario was a smoker too. But in this day and age, pro hockey players smoking, I admit, I'm shocked.

alex-semin-smoking.jpg

Apparently Carey Price is a smoker too!

If it's recreational, I'm fine with it. But an athlete smoking at least once per day is scary. Can't be good on the lungs.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
The Corvo Hate is too much.....

He didn't do anything last night that made me believe his game has dropped off huge amounts since the last time he played here.

He's 36 years old puck mover who's okay on the powerplay, soft in his own zone and is signed to a short term low money deal

JR knew what he was bringing in when he signed him.

All your Corvo hate should be placed on JR. He's the guy who built this team.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
What I just remembered about his contract: NMC

Really, JR. Not that anyone would take him, but you got shafted into giving him a NMC when HE wanted to come here. :shakehead

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I wouldn't call 2 million per a low money deal. But yes, my Corvo hate IS directed at JR. He just can't figure out how to build a defense to save his life.

For the same money he could have had Roszival or Shane O'Brien, or for a quarter mil more we could have had Zanon. All 3 of whom are more capable in their own zone then Joe and all 3 fill what the Canes needed far better.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
How many attempted clears did Corvo keep in the offensive zone while on the PP last night? Seemed like he nearly got to double digits...

Faulk had some good ones too.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
How many attempted clears did Corvo keep in the offensive zone while on the PP last night? Seemed like he nearly got to double digits...

I was just about to say that. I was pretty impressed with how he managed to stop the puck from crossing the line.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
But then he has the puck with no pressure in the offensive zone, passes it near Harrison (but not in a place where Harrison could keep the zone), then inexplicably pinches along the boards allowing the puck to get into our zone. Then a few seconds later, they score. He certainly has his ups and downs...

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
The problem with analyzing Joe is that it isn't his skill people are worried about. It's the mistakes. That third lightning goal was set up on the rush created by two Corvo wtf's. The random pass out of the zone, and then the turnover at center-ice.

But he does have some upside. He puts his shots on goal, and he moves well with the puck particularly on the power play. The sad thing is the lack of a better option.

I really would have liked to see Bryan Allen stay. For all the talk of team toughness and defensive responsibility, the swap from Allen to Corvo is the first place to look.

^^^That's the play that you can't forget. Although, it's not like he's the only failing miserably. Perhaps a few games in, he'll get his stuff together. If Eric Staal doesn't, how Joe Corvo plays doesn't really matter.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
We're sitting here complaining about Joe Corvo and his 12 minutes a night.

But Wallym is right, if E. Staal and Ward don't start producing (along with Skinner, J. Staal and Semin), then we are screwed either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->