Corvo

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Sadly, we were right about him being the "new" whipping boy the instant he was signed. Tells you a lot about JR's sense of defenseman.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
TBH, I didn't realize quite how bad Corvo was. I knew he was dreadful in his own zone, but I at least had hoped he still had "it" at the point on the PP. Clearly not. Forgot about "Shinpad Corvo." He was truly atrocious, more noticeably bad than any Cane in any single game than I can really remember.

La Huracanista

Nov 28, 2009
Raleigh
Corvo is going to be responsible for our breakout for 1/3 of the game every game. He's literally taking one period's worth of opportunities away from our forwards just by being out there, lol.

If Corvo must be in the lineup, we need to split up Faulk and Pitkanen, who are both really competent at their jobs, and more specifically getting the puck up the ****ing ice.

Gleason-Faulk
Pitkanen-Corvo
Harrison-Sangs

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
No.

Pitkanen/Faulk was the best thing about our team today. That's an actual, legit, borderline elite #1 pairing if they can keep playing like they did today. Faulk's been getting Doughty comparisons already, both from the Panthers fan in their GDT and a bunch of the prospect guys I follow on Twitter. Pitkanen's ALWAYS had an elite skillset when healthy, and he finally seems to know how to use it (i.e. finally using that bomb of his every once in awhile).

I say keep them together. A true #1 pairing. Have we ever actually had that?

La Huracanista

Nov 28, 2009
Raleigh
No.

Pitkanen/Faulk was the best thing about our team today. That's an actual, legit, borderline elite #1 pairing if they can keep playing like they did today. Faulk's been getting Doughty comparisons already, both from the Panthers fan in their GDT and a bunch of the prospect guys I follow on Twitter. Pitkanen's ALWAYS had an elite skillset when healthy, and he finally seems to know how to use it (i.e. finally using that bomb of his every once in awhile).

No, and we don't now honestly. Pitkanen's an okay two-way player but nothing special in his own end, and Faulk's waaaay too young for all this Doughty talk.

imho the biggest problem with our team was constant turnovers and contested entries into the Panthers' zone. We got 2 power play goals scored on us, but holy **** we looked bad at even strength. There were almost no simple tiki-taka passes. Just lame, easily intercepted attempts. We need crisp-passing PMDs throughout the lineup.

Razputyn

Feb 24, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
He's fine.

I am the only one who feels this way.

I played goalie for ~a decade, and I see nothing about the way Corvo engages opposing players that would make HIM ALONE stick out to me as unfit for the job.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
No.

That was a comparison that I formed early last year when he started establishing himself on your blueline. It's really bold but I believe he is a special player and his performance in the World Championships amongst and against other stars indicated that.

I also thought Rutherford's statement was really bold. I don't follow your franchise a lot but is Rutherford one of those GMs that have made statements from time to time about players and be proven totally wrong a la Brian Burke?

They really do have a similar build and skill set/talent. But Doughty is able to play really reckless which suites him at times and I find Faulk has better offensive instincts.

I think if I watch him more I will see that he's very much different but that was a comparison I saw last year.

Also, who are the twitter guys? I am really interested, no doubt this comparison will start to arise as he gets noticed. As I said they have a really similar build and talent.

Anton H Christ

ruh-roh corvo
May 4, 2011
Columbia SC
his performance last night was undeniably horrid sure, but I'll give him a couple more games to go back to his ol slightly less than mediocre self.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Pretty much every vet who hasn't played in 8 months, was sloppy at best last night. Pitkanen was the only one who hasn't been playing, who looked decent.

And yet I've already heard people say he was the worst player on the ice last night. Apparently, everyone watches games differently.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Anyone trying to be optimistic about Joe Corvo needs to get out immediately. You are ruining the meltdown.

At least once or twice last night, I saw Corvo use his speed to cover his own ass, after getting beat or missing a puck at the point. That counts for something! :laugh:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think it's time JR realizes that when the Bruins are willing to let go a defenseman, it's for good reason. Fool me once (Aaron Ward), shame on you. Fool me twice (Tomas Kaberle), shame on me. Fool me thrice (Joe Corvo), I'm a moron.

Next up will be Seidenburg sometime down the road after he's beyond his useful life also.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
Uh-Oh Corvo doing what he does best - winning the game for the opposing team.

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC
I can still see why JR wanted to get a stop-gap player, and so got Corvo figuring he'd already played here so would fit right in. The thing is he never played under Kirk, and the same ol' wasn't good enough. That's why we got Kirk. We needed change.

I'd rather they just play all the young guys and deal with the growing pains, knowing at least it was part of the process. Unfortunately they're probably going to just switch Sangs, McBain, and Faulk in and out of the lineup as the answer instead.

Clark Gillies

Oct 3, 2006
Carolina
Unfortunately they're probably going to just switch Sangs, McBain, and Faulk in and out of the lineup as the answer instead.

There is no way that Faulk will be involved in any "in and out" of the lineup. He has already established that he is one of the top 3 D men on the team. We will probably be calling him our best by the end of the season.

On the original topic as bad as Corvo looked - Sangs looked even worse, completely clueless out there. At least Corvo it is strictly lack of talent - Sangs looked like lack of brains.

The problem is Harrison deserves to be in the top 4 on this team but there is no way you can come up with a pair from McBain, Corvo, and Sangs that will be able to play any defense. I would leave Justin and Joni as our #1, play McBain with Gleason and let Sangs and Corvo fight it out and alternate who gets to play with Harrison.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Imagine how screwed this defense could have been if Faulk didn't take a fast track in his development. The only guys who would be atleast competent at defense would be Gleason, Pitkanen (when he wants to), and Harrison. Sangs=a forward, McBain is terrible at keeping pucks in which causes him to give up ~2 breakaways per game, and Corvo who flat out sucks and always gets caught flat footed. Still can't believe we signed this p.o.s. over a guy of, say, Allen's skill set.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
EXCELLENT point. Why blame Corvo for being Corvo? He's 35 years old and has been in the league 10 years. His level is well-established, and on top of that well-established, very low level of talent, he's on the clear downside of his career. He sucks. But it's not his fault that he sucks. He is what he is.

It's up to JR to keep sucky players off the roster, and Muller to keep sucky players out of the lineup. Corvo is playing like Joe Corvo. Blaming him for not playing like (insert name of some player better than Joe Corvo here) is not logical.

I was going to make this post, but thank you for it. Corvo was signed for 1 year/2 million. It was a gamble going into the season, and a very small one at that considering what other defenders got. If Corvo isn't up to par, it's on Muller to take him out, not JR.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
I remember Corvo playing some decent stretches of hockey for this team in the past, last night was ridiculous though. I might just have a bad memory, but that is probably the worst game he has played for us...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->