Corrado Dismissed?

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Bizarre choice by Team Canada. Playing a bit of politics I guess. Corrado was one of the few consistent scorers in these lead-up games.

Seeing it echoed in the TSN article comments.

http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=411610#YourCallTop

Bummer that we don't get to see him perform on the big stage.

But, from what Mackenize says, it probably came down to the fact that Corrado doesn't do one thing great. Old saying, good at everything, great at nothing.

Reilly/Hamilton were locks
Harrington/Ouellet were locks too.
Reinhart seemed like a lock.
Down to Wotherspoon and Murphy. Wotherspoon is a big defender, while Murphy is a PP QB.

Corrado did have a great camp, but it is what it is.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I'm thinking that perhaps HC was concerned about Ouellet's injury, and so they kept an extra defensive LHD in the event that Ouellet can't go or reaggrivates his injury?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I'm thinking that perhaps HC was concerned about Ouellet's injury, and so they kept an extra defensive LHD in the event that Ouellet can't go or reaggrivates his injury?

Seems silly. They've got 5LD, 2RD as it is. They can still name replacements if they were worried about Ouellet before the tournament starts.

It is what it is. I'm glad he got the chance to prove to himself that he's good enough to be up there with these guys. He was the lowest, most unheralded draft pick on defense there and made it almost all the way to the team and (probably) deserved to be there over 2 guys that made it. Hope he goes home confident and a bit pissed off.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Seems silly. They've got 5LD, 2RD as it is. They can still name replacements if they were worried about Ouellet before the tournament starts.

Weren't you the guy in the WJC forum who called me out when I listed Harrington and Ouellet both on the left side?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Weren't you the guy in the WJC forum who called me out when I listed Harrington and Ouellet both on the left side?

Harrington can play the right side and so can Ouellet. But they still have 5 guys that are lefties, regardless of what side they can play and only 2 righties.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
@reporterchris
Duncan Keith failed to make Canada's world junior team in 01 and 02. In May he told me: "I thought I should have been on those teams."

‏@reporterchris
The point is that player's never forget missing out on the world junior opportunity. For Keith, I think it's been a bit of a motivator.

As dissapointing as not making the team is, it's not the end of the world for a prospect. Corrado's play in camp showed everyone why the Canucks are so high on him, and that he is a potential steal in the 5th rd.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Been a few weird choices, Dumba got cut as well as the best (IMO) goalie in camp.

arsmaster*

Been a few weird choices, Dumba got cut as well as the best (IMO) goalie in camp.

Dumba was a pylon all camp, and is having a lackluster year.

People who look at draft position and question how a 7th overall pick can get cut, obviously haven't watched him play.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

Dumba getting cut wasn't a surprise to me. He didn't deserve to make the team with his play at camp. The Hockey Canada Brass gave him every opportunity to play better too. Had Corrado played like Dumba in camp he'd have been among the 1st cuts.

Brossoit hasn't had the best season for the Oil Kings and I think that played a factor into him not making the team.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Dumba was the worst defnesmean in camp. He should have been in the first round of cuts. Except they gave him every chance to succeed and he didn't. If he would have made two nice plays he would have made the team.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Dumba getting cut wasn't a surprise to me. He didn't deserve to make the team with his play at camp. The Hockey Canada Brass gave him every opportunity to play better too. Had Corrado played like Dumba in camp he'd have been among the 1st cuts.

Brossoit hasn't had the best season for the Oil Kings and I think that played a factor into him not making the team.

Agree on all points, makes me wonder why bother with camp at all then. I agree about Dumba looking out of place, and that Corrado looking quite good, (better than i expected actually) but if the point of camp is to see if someone REALLY stands out, thats what Brossoit did in my opinion. Subban was pretty much a lock, but Patterson and Brossoit really stood out.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Agree on all points, makes me wonder why bother with camp at all then. I agree about Dumba looking out of place, and that Corrado looking quite good, (better than i expected actually) but if the point of camp is to see if someone REALLY stands out, thats what Brossoit did in my opinion. Subban was pretty much a lock, but Patterson and Brossoit really stood out.

I don't think Drouin makes the team without a Camp. Unfortunately I think Spott had his mind made up up on 6 of the defensemen before Camp and then went with a personal choice on type of defenseman vs who played the best.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I don't think Drouin makes the team without a Camp. Unfortunately I think Spott had his mind made up up on 6 of the defensemen before Camp and then went with a personal choice on type of defenseman vs who played the best.

I feel this way about the top 9-10 forwards as well.

arsmaster*

If anyone listening could sum it up, it would be much appreciated.(or if there's a link to it, to post it)

Just basically what you'd expect.

team1040 will have the podcast up later today.

The chip is on his shoulder now.

duplo

prince kasspian
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver
He's pissed. Talked about how he couldn't have done more to make the team. Made a point to say that not only did he score the two goals in three games, but he didn't have a single goal against.

When asked if he made any new bonds or friends over there, he said not really. He wasn't there to make any friends, will check out some highlights of the WJ's but it'll be hard to watch.

Said he's only focused on making the NHL now.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Just basically what you'd expect.

team1040 will have the podcast up later today.

The chip is on his shoulder now.

This is a very good thing.

He said he felt he did everything he could to make the team (no one can dispute this).

He's focused on playing well in Sudbury and if he gets the chance to go to Camp this year if the lockout ends he'll be super focused on making an impact there and hopefully making the club.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
He's pissed. Talked about how he couldn't have done more to make the team. Made a point to say that not only did he score the two goals in three games, but he didn't have a single goal against.

When asked if he made any new bonds or friends over there, he said not really. He wasn't there to make any friends, will check out some highlights of the WJ's but it'll be hard to watch.

Sounds like a pretty intense/competetive fellow. I like it.

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
I didn't know much about him before this but its very encouraging to see one of our 5th rounders playing so well. I'll be certainly watching his progress more closely from here on in.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

pretty much everything in this owns and im glad he's not falling over himself to "thank" team canada for their ********

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
I think that from a Canucks perspective it works out better. Chip on the shoulder is a great way of putting it. We want him motivated, not drifting with a sense of entitlement.

Don't worry Corrado, the Canucks still want you

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
"I went their to make the team, not make friends." Great line. Love him.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
pretty much everything in this owns and im glad he's not falling over himself to "thank" team canada for their ********

Exactly, so glad he didn't give the usual stupid Canadian responses. "Obviously any time you get a chance like this..."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad