OT: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I don't know if I should worry... I'm adhering to the instructions of social distanting but my life hasn't really changed in any meaningful way.

Mine either, for the most part. I work nights and I work alone so I don't see a lot of people anyway. The only real difference is I have my kids all day until I go to work, instead of just having them for the 3 hours after they get home from school. So I'm going to bed at like 2-3 a.m. and getting up at 6-7 a.m., because those little f***ers never sleep in.

Reactions: DaveG and Lempo

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
This person my mom knew that just died worked at a gas station/convenience store in the tiny town they live in, and it's pretty much the only store in town and EVERYBODY goes there.

gulp

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Came in to work today to find our the restaurant where I work will be closed ‘temporarily’ but ‘indefinitely’

So that was fun.

Reactions: DaveG

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
ET0uMroWAAUoDWq

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I understand we're gonna save the economy now by just consigning the old folks to death. What a country, huh? USA! USA! USA!

when one side wants to make sure they’re donors can make the most money as possible off of death and the other wants to push its own agenda which is completely independent of this situation into saving the country right now I’ve given the f*** up. We’d be better off letting a monkey pick between 3 options for every decision.

Reactions: DaveG

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Wow..it didn't even take 2 weeks for the sickening truth to surface re: eldercide...when someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. Scarier than the virus.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
The cabin fever has gotten some folks going crazy it would seem.
Or, maybe some of us have actually witnessed the horrors of seeing a loved one with ARDS..the desperate gasping for air..the gurgling in the throat..the effects of Sepsis as it is poisoning the body..the pulse beating out of control..the sound of suction if one is lucky enough to get to a ventilator in time.

I apologize for being so blunt but if a chunk of our society is ok with older folks, persons at risk and anyone else deemed disposable taking one for the team, I think bearing witness to what it's all about should be a requirement. Probably, still wouldn't faze some of the soulless though.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
GOV needs to stop "strongly urging" people to stay at home and just rip off the band-aid. All that's doing is prolonging the process. Yes It's gonna do even more economic damage, yes hardships will abound, but the number of sicknesses, and deaths will be less for every day they're not trusting people and companies to be smart and heed the warnings. People are complacent, stubborn, and uneducated in crisis like this. Don't trust people.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
GOV needs to stop "strongly urging" people to stay at home and just rip off the band-aid. All that's doing is prolonging the process. Yes It's gonna do even more economic damage, yes hardships will abound, but the number of sicknesses, and deaths will be less for every day they're not trusting people and companies to be smart and heed the warnings. People are complacent, stubborn, and uneducated in crisis like this. Don't trust people.
So when the ICUs can’t keep up with the demand and you or someone you know has a bad accident that is normally completely treatable and can’t get the care you need what do you chalk it up to?

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
So when the ICUs can’t keep up with the demand and you or someone you know has a bad accident that is normally completely treatable and can’t get the care you need what do you chalk it up to?

The whole point, and proven result of mandating a lock down is to avoid exponential rise in new cases, and stop community spread. Therefore avoiding ICUs being overrun with COVID patients.

Reactions: MinJaBen

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
Goldman Sachs has estimated GDP for Q2 will be down 24%.

Such is the price of business to save lives at this point. Unfortunately people still aren't understanding this.

Why We Are Deliberately Allowing Our Economy To Go On A Downward Spiral

The problem here is..no much lives are saved anyways without huge impact. You can't control the virus so that the hospital capacity is more or less enough but that virus reaches enough poeple.

By "enough" I mean, to get group immunity. As very early precautions were not made no where around the world, the options are:
1a) complete shut down for couple of months to stop epidemic now. But the problem is what happens after stopping restrictions. You have then new chance to try control all chains of infections and hope it won't spread again and then with good possibility is that the vaccine is ready until the late summer/autumn and after vaccination of many people, this is over.
1b) control of chains is not working well enough after complete shutting down and full closure need to e done again at latest in autumn. Even worse, vaccine is ready in 1-2 years and shutting down world needs to be made again and again. Or let it spread then.

2) Just let it spread now, try to keep risk groups as isoleted as possible for few months. Victims will come yes. But with current estimate of infection factor R0 = 2,2 without restrictions and 5 day average latency phase, some about 30 % of infected people is enough to get group immunity. It bit depends on social networks (how much variation there is how people meet each others). In thi scase, the total R0 drops below 1, meaning one infected person infects on average less than 1 new person cuasing that all chains die themselves. This takes several months and is horrible time but after that, it's kind of all over once and for real.

What is the righ play, dpends strongly on how effective mdeications will be availeble nearest weeks and when the vaccine will be ready. But as big financial depression causes also lot of victims and much more yougng such, it is not possible at all that the tactic with (almost) free spreading will be actually the winning tactic now. It all can be seen and judged only in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad