Like Radar from MASH.

Does anyone remember MASH?

Mt4CaxT.gif

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Looks like the Olympics are going to be postponed. That's too bad, I would have thought that as the World was coming out of the pandemic crisis, that would have been the perfect feel good event.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Looks like the Olympics are going to be postponed. That's too bad, I would have thought that as the World was coming out of the pandemic crisis, that would have been the perfect feel good event.

Yeah, it's a major bummer. They were scheduled to start July 24th...wonder what the minimum lead time would be needed to host Olympic trials to select athletes as well as for Japan to prepare facilities.

Makes sense from an overall planning perspective...just too much uncertainty right now.

US track and field trials were supposed to be mid to late June...guessing that would've been the same for most countries.

Still hoping that we're trending in the right direction by then.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
New York is in for a world of hurt if they don't lock it down right now.

They needed to do it a long time ago given the amount of cases they already had even a week ago.

But LOL at 3 months even of sheltering in place, there's no way that happens without massive civil unrest. I know we don't want to overburden the medical system but we have to be realistic here.

Reactions: DaveG

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
They needed to do it a long time ago given the amount of cases they already had even a week ago.

But LOL at 3 months even of sheltering in place, there's no way that happens without massive civil unrest. I know we don't want to overburden the medical system but we have to be realistic here.

Realistically that's what we're facing at this point.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Palacio de Hielo, an icehall in Madrid, Spain, will be turned into a temporary morgue.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Apparently the sales for Corona Extra have doubled in Finland as of lately.

Meanwhile in UK:

3abe3ff2a419ef60af537622cbcd8fd67e894249a37f29f9f5c25e1602d0ab09.jpg

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Don't worry guys, the geniuses on the main board have assured me this will all be over in a month or so and everything will be perfectly normal again. LOL

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
This may end up being the defining moment of history in all of our lives. Moon landing? End of European communism? 9-11? This may end up making all of them seem like small potatoes.

Reactions: SlavinAway

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Looking at the forecast scenarios...no action, social distancing, and sheltering in place...I'd say locally we're already close to sheltering in place right? Schools closed, retail stores closed...in my neck of the woods it seems everyone is already staying at home without mandated edict from the government.

The graphics are effective at showing why we're doing what we're doing though.

I'm hopeful we'll see the confirmed cases curve begin to plateau if we keep this up. It won't be as drastic as the China curve, but hoping we'll see something similar to South Korea.

It's great they added the county level detail on the Johns Hopkins map...next level would get the case growth curve available by state or county. I'm sure some sections of the US will contain faster than others.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Looking at the forecast scenarios...no action, social distancing, and sheltering in place...I'd say locally we're already close to sheltering in place right? Schools closed, retail stores closed...in my neck of the woods it seems everyone is already staying at home without mandated edict from the government.

The graphics are effective at showing why we're doing what we're doing though.

I'm hopeful we'll see the confirmed cases curve begin to plateau if we keep this up. It won't be as drastic as the China curve, but hoping we'll see something similar to South Korea.

It's great they added the county level detail on the Johns Hopkins map...next level would get the case growth curve available by state or county. I'm sure some sections of the US will contain faster than others.

Aside from two trips at off hours to an empty gym, and groceries every 2 days, we’ve essentially been self-quarantining. Even before shelter in place got passed, the safeguards that were in place (closing schools, restaurants, etc) falls somewhere in between social distancing and self-quarantine. The dummies that aren’t following the spirit of it are ruining it for the rest of us, but the rules in place are pretty darn strict already. Might need to tighten it further, but can’t say indefinitely cancelling schools is nothing.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I said this on the main board before they banned me from the thread for defending myself against somebody who attacked me, but whatevs....my kids school was giving out lunches today and they wanted to see their friends and say hi to their teachers, so we went.

500 or more people there, all standing in a line. Not one single person there observing a 6 foot distance. Just piled up in the parking lot. In places the line was clumped up with people gathered in semicircles talking, you know how that goes. Nobody was being safe. I didn't even get the kids out of the car, said sorry, maybe we'll try again tomorrow.

The humans just aren't very smart at all, are they.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Looking at the forecast scenarios...no action, social distancing, and sheltering in place...I'd say locally we're already close to sheltering in place right?

To some extent, yes. But it’s definitely not being universally followed. Saturday, I went for a drive and both Lowe’s and HD were absolutely packed with people. Was just driving by so not sure how close people were, but they were packed. My son has a job in retail and his store remains open and he said it was way busier than normal this weekend.

One day this week, I saw a bunch of cars at a neighbors house. Come to find out that because school was closed, their teen threw a pool party.

there is a lot of shelter in place going on for sure with restaurants, bars, schools, and the new things closing this week. Working from home. People, for the most part, are trying to stay further apart when at a grocery store. Better hand washing/sanitizing procedures, etc and I’m sure that will help. Only time tell if it’s enough.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
To some extent, yes. But it’s definitely not being universally followed. Saturday, I went for a drive and both Lowe’s and HD were absolutely packed with people. Was just driving by so not sure how close people were, but they were packed. My son has a job in retail and his store remains open and he said it was way busier than normal this weekend.

One day this week, I saw a bunch of cars at a neighbors house. Come to find out that because school was closed, their teen threw a pool party.

there is a lot of shelter in place going on for sure with restaurants, bars, schools, and the new things closing this week. Working from home. People, for the most part, are trying to stay further apart when at a grocery store. Better hand washing/sanitizing procedures, etc and I’m sure that will help. Only time tell if it’s enough.
There was appropriate social distancing at the gun store yesterday, waiting outside in line before they opened. Inside .... that was another story. Too many people.

Appropriate social distancing at the Sheriff’s office today.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I don't know if I should worry... I'm adhering to the instructions of social distanting but my life hasn't really changed in any meaningful way.

More socialicing really because I washed my hands today at the bottle return place sink of the grocery store together with some unknown guy. Wet my hands, take soap, move aside to rub it, all yours sir...

And at the gentlemen's, an older man and I were soaping up at the same time, after which I chose to be the one to leave first who has to maneuver the door open without touching the lethal handle with my newlywashed hands. He was pretty damn suave with his foot work to piggy back himself out of the open door with/after me.

I'll probably start noting "we won't die today" to these guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad