OT: Coronavirus XXXX: Variant & Vaccination Rates Are Climbing, Let's Get to Herd Immunity Baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Wanted to get your take on the CDC's recommendation that vaccinated people no longer have to wear masks or social distance in most settings, which of course was followed today by many of the big stores announcing that masks were no longer required for vaccinated people, but would be on the honor system. Which is pretty much a free pass for anyone that doesn't want to wear a mask to not wear it. Thought it was a bit early for that decision, with only 36% of the population fully vaccinated, and with vaccinations rates really slowing down. Thought they had a good thing going if they just waited a bit longer, to at least get to the 50% level.
Sorry, has been a busy weekend. I think @Fourier provided an answer along the lines of what I was going to say. It's a great incentive to improve vaccination rates hopefully. On the other hand, it will be a mess for many businesses and public places to enforce.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

kY.gif

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
I just got back from Costco here in the Portland area. Us left-coaster's are/were one of the last states requiring masks, and I was curious what it would be like in the store. I went in with my mask on out of habit and out of not exactly knowing if they (Costco) still required them. I'd say about 1/4 of all people were maskless, including a number of workers. That's when I knew it was legit :)

They weren't asking people at the entrance if they had their vaccine - just the typical flash of the membership/VISA and in you go. I decided to take it off on my way out and boy was it ever strange being inside, by a number of people, and not wearing the thing. After a year or so it's totally habit. Felt great!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
As much as I thought our announcement last week regarding the relaxing of restrictions was a bit extreme and was a bit fearmongering, I prefer that approach to this CDC announcement. At least the fence sitters here have incentive. And our timetable can be moved up as needed. The US was given a golden opportunity that pretty much no other country in the world was given, and I really hope they don’t blow this.

I think that once kids are available to be vaccinate that we could be closer to that 65-70% because most parents that got the vaccine may indeed also have their kids get it. Those that don't likely won't give it to their kids either. The other thing to remember is the sheer amount of people in the US that got the virus relative to most other countries. TBH if I had gotten the virus prior to getting a vaccine, I likely wouldn't have taken a vaccine even though it is recommended to get a single dose. I'm wondering how many people that got the virus shares this opinion?

Part of me wonders if the CDC regulations are to try and reach herd immunity by allowing many of the anti vaxxers to get it and be done with it?

Reactions: bellagiobob

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Red Deer Home Care are sending a dose of Pfizer to my place on Wednesday. This came out of the blue and probably to those in their care who haven't been vaccinated yet. I wonder, though, if I should try to find somewhere to get my second shot after 3 weeks or if 12 weeks is better.

That’s awesome buddy, great to hear. The latest report is that 12 weeks is better, so probably no rush to get the second one. Prob have more info in three weeks for you to make a more informed decision. But I’m not Doc, so take that with a grain of salt. ;)

Reactions: oilers'72

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
If you (in general, not you sOiled) post this fact you get a bunch of likes and people praise you for taking a deeper look at the data. The same thing however is true, word for word, about many of the people who unfortunately passed away with COVID-19 prior to any vaccines being available. But we counted all those deaths. If you post that fact, people will call you a denier, a conspiracy nut, an anti-science mouth breather and an all round terrible human being. It’s true. I’ve seen all those posts in these threads.
Just a comment on this, in Sweden there are two counts on deaths. One is the one you'll see (mostly) in the media, and commented on daily. I think that stands at around 14'200 or similar. This are based on daily reports from medics signing cause(/s) of death at the time of death. That is the number reported in the press conferences and as you point out, it says people who have died with covid, not necessarily from covid. The second number, currently at 13'400 deaths, is the actusl number of deaths with covid19 as primary cause. This is investigated and normally determined after about month.

So yes, there is definitely a difference and for each country that difference will probably not be the same. It should normally be available at a country's statistics offices, with some delay. In Sweden the people reported dying with covid is currently 6% higher than the people dying from covid as primary cause.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's fast forwarding to normalcy here in New York. We just got a firm memo stating that all core office services will be up and running on July 6th (most firms are targeting this date as they usually copycat each other) so that will be an "encouraged" phase to go back to work and by early September, everybody will be required to come back to work at 100% capacity.

I've been coming into the office every other week since last July so it won't be a huge change for me but I'm going to soak up the little time I have remaining to enjoy the city without a ton of people flooding the streets while I can because it's going to change very quickly in the summer. It's nice that we're getting back to normalcy, but it's going to be weird at first. I was getting a little used to the post apocalyptic world. ;)

Last edited:

GingerJesus28

This is the way
Feb 25, 2015
Saskatchewan
Anyone else getting their ass kicked by Pfizer's vaccine?

I've had barely any energy for ~42 hours now, arm is sore where I got it, my whole body is sore, and my neck is inflamed lol

Kirby

Sponsor
Jan 31, 2009
Edmonton
Anyone else getting their ass kicked by Pfizer's vaccine?

I've had barely any energy for ~42 hours now, arm is sore where I got it, my whole body is sore, and my neck is inflamed lol

My energy levels were down for about a week (felt overly exhausted the first 36 hours), arm was sore for 3 days, and I possibly had a minor fever that I slept through the first night (woke up in a bunch of sweat, but no fever when I checked)

Reactions: oilers'72
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad