OT: Coronavirus XXXVI: Bat Scratch Fever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
same types of video were posted about young people gathering at West Edmonton Mall together back in December

not a good look but these people are most likely gathering in private anyways

The big issue I see is that the other restauranteurs who've been following rules and paying attention to the issues so they can reopen for business might have some negative consequences due to the actions of a small number of nincomepoops.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The big issue I see is that the other restauranteurs who've been following rules and paying attention to the issues so they can reopen for business might have some negative consequences due to the actions of a small number of nincomepoops.

Absolutely. Restaurants are also in a better position to distance clientele, and reasonably keep them distance then some watering hole serving alcohol where inhibition starts flying out the window and everybody starts having a good time with Uncle Covid.

The moment people walk in a bar, consume a couple drinks its like pandemic never happened, pandemic isn't here. Several establishments, same kind of videos. Pint DT had 36 people in the place but half of them were seated at bar. I mean just mind blowingly dumb but it is what it is.

Its harder now to tell the wife that just because this stuff is open doesn't mean that in any way, shape, or form that its a good idea to be patrons right now. We take out only. Always make a point of going to the establishment and picking up our own food, so that establishments don't have to pay for the delivery. Least I can do I figure. I even wait outside or in vehicle while order is prepared, even in this weather. That too helps establishments stay open.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I agree, just saying we can't discern much from a 9 second grainy clip about who lives with who
again, bad look and it's up the restaurants to enforce the laws

Reactions: oilers'72

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Question: People in Alberta aren't allowed to gather in houses, but they're allowed to gather in restaurants. What if I invite people over and just give the government the 100 bucks I'd spend on a meal and drinks?

@DecadeofDarkness I think the people in the video are employees of that restaurant. Can't really confirm otherwise though.

Last edited:
Reactions: soothsayer

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Absolutely. Restaurants are also in a better position to distance clientele, and reasonably keep them distance then some watering hole serving alcohol where inhibition starts flying out the window and everybody starts having a good time with Uncle Covid.

The moment people walk in a bar, consume a couple drinks its like pandemic never happened, pandemic isn't here. Several establishments, same kind of videos. Pint DT had 36 people in the place but half of them were seated at bar. I mean just mind blowingly dumb but it is what it is.

Its harder now to tell the wife that just because this stuff is open doesn't mean that in any way, shape, or form that its a good idea to be patrons right now. We take out only. Always make a point of going to the establishment and picking up our own food, so that establishments don't have to pay for the delivery. Least I can do I figure. I even wait outside or in vehicle while order is prepared, even in this weather. That too helps establishments stay open.

a bit OT from what you're saying, but...I went to my local fav pizza joint on the Friday before they were allowed to open (on Monday) and the lady getting my pizza mentioned it was going to be "one of those days". She said that a customer had called to ask if they were opened for seating, and she said no. The person on the othe end started to argue with her and told her she was full of shit. Paraphrased but you get the jist of what business's have to deal with these days. :loony:

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
a bit OT from what you're saying, but...I went to my local fav pizza joint on the Friday before they were allowed to open (on Monday) and the lady getting my pizza mentioned it was going to be "one of those days". She said that a customer had called to ask if they were opened for seating, and she said no. The person on the othe end started to argue with her and told her she was full of shit. Paraphrased but you get the jist of what business's have to deal with these days. :loony:
the beauty now is the pizza place can choose to stay closed, except for pick-up and take-out

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Not that they don't deserve it. I am sure they deserve that and more. But holy mother of mercy are we going to be in a ton of debt when this is all said and done.

People are going to change their opinion of all this when we have the pay the bill.
Do we ever end up paying the bill?

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Do we ever end up paying the bill?

There was a long discussion about that. A few went by "a dollar is a dollar" and everything will be the same value. Of course, what it is a devalued dollar, and with higher taxes, the loonie will buy less from outside the country. I haven't seen what the CND/US exchange but I wouldn't be surprised that it's dropped.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Not that they don't deserve it. I am sure they deserve that and more. But holy mother of mercy are we going to be in a ton of debt when this is all said and done.

People are going to change their opinion of all this when we have the pay the bill.

It's small change compared to the Billions they throw at corporations. I am on board if they give it to the little guy. I'd like to see a mandatory minimum wage of $20. That's around the equivalent of what it was in the 70s and 80s all things considered.

Reactions: Skar

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
There was a long discussion about that. A few went by "a dollar is a dollar" and everything will be the same value. Of course, what it is a devalued dollar, and with higher taxes, the loonie will buy less from outside the country. I haven't seen what the CND/US exchange but I wouldn't be surprised that it's dropped.
The Canadian dollar hovered around 75-79 cents this past couple years.

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
It's small change compared to the Billions they throw at corporations. I am on board if they give it to the little guy. I'd like to see a mandatory minimum wage of $20. That's around the equivalent of what it was in the 70s and 80s all things considered.
Plus the little guy will almost always spend that money and reinject that straight back into the economy. The billions going to corporations will probably head straight to Panama.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Plus the little guy will almost always spend that money and reinject that straight back into the economy. The billions going to corporations will probably head straight to Panama.

Agreed.

Trickle down economics works when the rich are struggling. The rich are not struggling.

The middle class on down in the private sector are struggling. As you said, they will spend it right away because they need it. It's not as if they aren't already heaped upon with debt. I understand the nurses, teachers but IMO that's just vote buying. They don't need the $1200. They are very well paid in this province.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
My senile landlady has bought the WHO misinformation from the Red Deer Advocate. I wonder if someone said if they can flap their arms and fly to the moon to cure Covid, she'd be outside right now flapping her arms. :loony:

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Our dollar has actually risen a few point as most of last year we were between 1.32 and 1.34 now it is down to 1.27 to 1.28

For a while there I thought it might dip into the 60's but it never did. It was not long ago the Canadian dollar was on par with the Greenback. Lots of economic punishing decisions/happenstances against Canada since then.

Edit: I must of missed the 1.34. I keep a pretty good eye on it.

Last edited:

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
the cost of living will exponentially rise though

Minimum wage workers only make up a fraction of the cost of a product. We are talking a wage increase of around 25 -33% depending on where you live.

If corporations feel the need to raise the prices to offset all those costs to continue making obscene profits, then the little fellow will have more buying power and that will improve their ability to choose.

They will be able to go to a farmers market when the corporations charge more for vegetables, etc. They can afford to go to a small private business that has a better opportunity to compete with the big box stores now that they cant pay poverty level wages. Maybe instead of shopping for groceries in a palace you can see some cement floor...

Reactions: Skar and oilers'72

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

421 in hospital, including 77 in ICU. 5706 active cases.

Going forward, it would be nice if officials specify which variant has been identified. The variants first identified in South Africa (B.1.351 or 501.V2) and Brazil (P.1) have more cause for concern than the others based on recent vaccine efficacy data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad