OT: Coronavirus XXXVI: Bat Scratch Fever

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
You’re right as a population we are being deceived to believe that hiding from a virus is the best and only way to fight it. We have never in history taken this approach to a pandemic. We allowed healthy people to contract previous pandemic viruses which in turn ensures that those who survived passed on the genes to future generations, which in turn made our species as a whole more immune to said viruses. Hiding away will only delay the inevitable and in the end we won’t be any better off than we are today. But you know lock everyone up for an undetermined amount of time and keep pushing the narrative it is for our safety!
This is not correct at all. Going back all through history and until as recently as a couple of hundreds years ago people actually always tried to avoid getting infected. We just have not lived it in the last 100+ years.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You’re right as a population we are being deceived to believe that hiding from a virus is the best and only way to fight it. We have never in history taken this approach to a pandemic. We allowed healthy people to contract previous pandemic viruses which in turn ensures that those who survived passed on the genes to future generations, which in turn made our species as a whole more immune to said viruses. Hiding away will only delay the inevitable and in the end we won’t be any better off than we are today. But you know lock everyone up for an undetermined amount of time and keep pushing the narrative it is for our safety!
Which viruses were those? You realize that the H1N1 outbreaks still kill large numbers of people, right? The significant difference is that every time these outbreaks occur, there are numerous methods of treating these patients who contract it. This is a novel virus, meaning that there were no treatments available. Show me examples of outbreaks of similarly transmissible viruses in history and how our population simply rode it out.

No action would've resulted in an exponentially higher case count and everything else that would've gone with it. This is just simple math.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Ah the covid denier label Nice

Deaths from TB - figures from 2020 report

Oh now you want to talk to people about influenza

Thats easy you can only die from Influenza if your in the hospital and have been tested for it.
*You're

Not interested in going down this rabbit hole again. I vaguely remember your spiel before the pandemic started. You're just continuing to be wrong. I'd be happy to throw out the 'conspiracy theorist' label if that suits you better.

Last edited:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Which viruses were those? You realize that the H1N1 outbreaks still kill large numbers of people, right? The significant difference is that every time these outbreaks occur, there are numerous methods of treating these patients who contract it. This is a novel virus, meaning that there were no treatments available. Show me examples of outbreaks of similarly transmissible viruses in history and how our population simply rode it out.

No action would've resulted in an exponentially higher case count and everything else that would've gone with it. This is just simple math.
1968 Pandemic (H3N2 virus) | Pandemic Influenza (Flu) | CDC
Woodstock Music festival went on during a pandemic

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Dr. Saxinger is "amazed". :laugh: For someone that is supposed to be guided by the science, she has been one of the more outspoken medical individuals with the doom and gloom scenario, and criticism of the way the government has handled this. And now, she is taken aback at the results that science would have indicated to her about a hundred times in the last 6 months.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Do you know where the term "quarantine" comes from?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
So another flu variant? A significantly less transmissible virus that the majority of the human population has antibodies to fight. And a virus that people had treatments for.

If governments decided to ignore this virus, what do you think would have happened knowing the current figures despite widespread lockdowns?
well first, I don't advocate "ignoring" it....my only question is why unprecedented lockdowns are the one and only solution
I mean, look at "relaxed" states like Florida and their curve...it didn't skyrocket and get out of control like many predicted it would when they relaxed restrictions in September

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton

H1N1 or the Spanish flu killed 50-60 million people between 1918 and 1921. When the same viral strain re-emerged as the Hong Kong flu in 1968-70 only 4 million died. When H1N1 re emerged in the 2000’s less than 1 million people died. It’s call genetics those that survive pass on their genes to their children who survive better because of genetic memory.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Yes and usually a quarantine is administered to people that are infected not those that are not. Hiding away is not helping and you can not convince me otherwise. Healthy people should be allowed to live their lives and I’m sorry if you don’t agree.

That's not true either. Historically, quarantines have applied both to the sick and people who aren't yet sick but might carry a disease.

As for the "healthy people should be allowed to live their lives" everyone is healthy until they get sick.

Reactions: McOilers97

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hmmm...guess that's why there are dozens of COVID variants spreading internationally. They've got this shit locked down.
Try to keep up. The dread UK Covid variant is so much of a problem there numbers are down enormously. Theres no indication, in actual real world numberrs, that the variant is being more dangerous, or contracted much more. lol take a look at the UK numbers, or the London specific numbers, where the Variant is common. The pandemic is dissipating there, 10K cases per day in all of the UK. From a high of 68K.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
That's not true either. Historically, quarantines have applied both to the sick and people who aren't yet sick but might carry a disease.

As for the "healthy people should be allowed to live their lives" everyone is healthy until they get sick.
So your solution is to lock everyone up around the world for an undetermined amount of time and let the economy crumble?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Everybody is alive till they die..
Heh She is just on a roll in the last 2 weeks. Springtime must be around the corner

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/covid-19-vaccine-tam-1.5673729

Oh look, she got her hair done...

I'll be nice.

Wait? Silver Bullets? Thats for werewolves and maybe zombies. WTF?

Reactions: oilers'72

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
So your solution is to lock everyone up around the world for an undetermined amount of time and let the economy crumble?

They're trying to go about it in a way where as many people can work as possible still, balancing essential services vs non-essential. We're not "locked up", we can still do the things we have to do to get by. It's not optimal for quality of life, but there is no optimal solution when a virus with no vaccine comes about.

This pandemic was going to hurt the economy no matter what. You know what else would hurt the economy a lot? If millions and millions of skillfully employed people died when a large chunk could've been prevented.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
well first, I don't advocate "ignoring" it....my only question is why unprecedented lockdowns are the one and only solution
I mean, look at "relaxed" states like Florida and their curve...it didn't skyrocket and get out of control like many predicted it would when they relaxed restrictions in September
This is a very large conversation that will occur throughout history. The response to this virus should have been unique from region to region based on an incalculable number of factors. I don't think we got it right at any point when it comes to responding to the challenges this virus faced us with. But with a population split down the center when it comes to even acknowledging its existence, how could we have?

New Zealand got it right, but they're also an island.

H1N1 or the Spanish flu killed 50-60 million people between 1918 and 1921. When the same viral strain re-emerged as the Hong Kong flu in 1968-70 only 4 million died. When H1N1 re emerged in the 2000’s less than 1 million people died. It’s call genetics those that survive pass on their genes to their children who survive better because of genetic memory.
Actually, it's called science. The ability to treat someone with the flu in 1968 is probably far greater than it was in 1918.

Again we're talking apples and oranges. COVID-19 is a novel coronavirus that has shown to be far more transmissible than any flu variant.

When you have an example like Marco Rossi where the virus can completely wipe a 20-year old professional athlete's entire season, you can see why this particular virus is something our governments are worried about. When was the last time you saw the flu do that?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Try to keep up. The dread UK Covid variant is so much of a problem there numbers are down enormously. Theres no indication, in actual real world numberrs, that the variant is being more dangerous, or contracted much more. lol take a look at the UK numbers, or the London specific numbers, where the Variant is common. The pandemic is dissipating there, 10K cases per day in all of the UK. From a high of 68K.
I am. I'm in lockdown right now because my region has an outbreak including a variant of concern. I'm not even suggesting it's any more dangerous or transmissible than other variants. Our numbers were non-existent until some shlub brought this back, spread it within a retirement community and inadvertently caused the death of one person this far.

What are you trying to argue here? Do you think people should be travelling freely at this point?

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
So another flu variant? A significantly less transmissible virus that the majority of the human population has antibodies to fight. And a virus that people had treatments for.

If governments decided to ignore this virus, what do you think would have happened knowing the current figures despite widespread lockdowns?

A few places such as Sweden took that approach.

Reactions: oilers'72
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->