OT: Coronavirus XXXVI: Bat Scratch Fever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
How is everyone holding up by the way?

Apart from the news cycle I mean, how are you doing? I was in the **** for a while, but family and work has picked me up. I know I am damn lucky to have my job, and a family which didn't bail on my drunken *** after these .... **** almost 11 months at home...

We're doing better and better here, even though we obviously have a lot of constraints. Vaccine cannot come quick enough imo, we need to see people again. Socialize, at least a little bit.
I've really been able to self-isolate lately, not too bad actually. Mind you, when it's minus 40, you don't exactly feel tempted to go anywhere else other than your own house.:D

Reactions: oilers'72 and LaGu

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Clothing and beauty products are 2 sections I avoid as well. I've done the gift cars thing too, "here hon. Love you, pick what you want, you look good and what ever you choose" and pay the 10-30$ extra it costs cause she always picks a combination of things that cost more than the gift card(s) lol.
Got my wife some really tasteful underwear and nice shoes. When she saw them, she freaked and made me return them to Fredericks of Hollywood.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
100%. I'm not really a party person, so when even I start missing gatherings of humans, you know it's gone on too long. ;) I find that the mental aspect wears on me more than anything. The constant negativity from certain political groups is so depressing. You try to turn it off but it is everywhere. But we just go day to day, keep as busy as we can, knowing that things will eventually get better. Take care over there!
Agreed.

P.S. Did you guys want your slippers back? You left them behind.

Reactions: oilers'72

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Holy shit, dailies now down well into the 200's, hospitalization edging toward 400, ICU's really dropping now, and total cases soon to be below 6000. In other news, Rachel says please, stay in your basements, the end is nigh!

Since I'm in the area. I listened to CHED last night..........Sunday night CHED radio......that was a mistake

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
ALDRICH: Health orders may have worked, but it shouldn't have come to that | Winnipeg Sun

"Oh, they definitely did work. Logic says that isolating a province’s population for now three months will stop the spread of any communicable virus in its tracks..."

"The reality is, the buck was passed on to Manitobans and the business community due to an inability of the province to protect the vulnerable in long-term care homes and other communities."

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
That didn't take long. It's all wrapped up. Time for the WHO to move on. I find it bemusing how they call it the Trump theory.

‘Extremely unlikely’: WHO discounts Trump’s origin theory that COVID-19 leaked from Wuhan | Vancouver Sun

"The theory the virus came from a laboratory leak was “extremely unlikely,” Peter Ben Embarek, a WHO official, told reporters Tuesday at a joint WHO-China briefing in Wuhan, the city where Covid-19 first mushroomed at the end of 2019. He said no further research or study is needed into this theory, which has been promulgated by some, including former U.S. President Donald Trump."

"“It could’ve been introduced by a person who was infected and then spread to other people in the market — could be a trader or visitor — but it also could be the introduction of a product,” said Embarek,"

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
That didn't take long. It's all wrapped up. Time for the WHO to move on. I find it bemusing how they call it the Trump theory.

‘Extremely unlikely’: WHO discounts Trump’s origin theory that COVID-19 leaked from Wuhan | Vancouver Sun

"The theory the virus came from a laboratory leak was “extremely unlikely,” Peter Ben Embarek, a WHO official, told reporters Tuesday at a joint WHO-China briefing in Wuhan, the city where Covid-19 first mushroomed at the end of 2019. He said no further research or study is needed into this theory, which has been promulgated by some, including former U.S. President Donald Trump."

"“It could’ve been introduced by a person who was infected and then spread to other people in the market — could be a trader or visitor — but it also could be the introduction of a product,” said Embarek,"

Everyone already knows it was created in a lab, this proves nothing.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005

Shameful. But entirely expected. WHO is a bought and paid for collection of sock puppets.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Crazy thought I had:

I'm not a bio-tech guy so I'm curious if it is possible this virus has actually been around for years mimicking common respiratory/flu illnesses which didn't cause any concern or reason to investigate further but then it mutated into something deadly last year.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

"...but it also could be the introduction of a product"

Interesting. They completely discount and brush off the theory it may have been lab created but then go on to suggest it could have been introduced from a product practically all in the same breath.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Crazy thought I had:

I'm not a bio-tech guy so I'm curious if it is possible this virus has actually been around for years mimicking common respiratory/flu illnesses which didn't cause any concern or reason to investigate further but then it mutated into something deadly last year.

There are teams of scientists around the world who track such things through phylogenetic analysis.

Phylogenetic supertree reveals detailed evolution of SARS-CoV-2 | Scientific Reports

"Whatsoever, the above distinct phylogenetic analysis results showed beyond a reasonable doubt that the rates of evolution on sequences of varied proteins in SARS-CoV-2s are highly non-uniform. There probably exists another bat coronavirus in divergent species as the adjacent ancestor of SARS-CoV-2, and/or SARS-CoV-2s already made advanced evolution in its animal host."

At the same time, bats located in certain regions of China and coronaviruses have been locked in an arms race against each other. Scientists studying this area have noted previously that such an environment is an ideal setting for rapid evolution of different coronaviruses (and their spike proteins).

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

Lol who could of saw this coming when the money was flying out the door.

They’ll spend a pile of money trying to track who owes what and recoup it. In the end they’ll probably end up spending more then they get back from people and call it a success.

That money is gone and they should just accept that fact. People saw an opportunity to take advantage of a flawed program and they milked it plain and simple. Most of these people are already living in poverty or struggling financially, good luck getting blood from that stone. And even if they do well they’ll just end up giving it back on the back end through various programs that these people will need to rely on to fill the gap of have to pay back 10-14,000 dollars.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad