OT: Coronavirus XXXV: Y'all Got Any More of Them Vaccines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Sounds like they are vaccinating quickly in the USA. Just saw the mayor of NY says anyone over 75 can get a vaccine. Really hoping we see cases and hospitalizations decline starting soon.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Regardless of anyone's take on the vaccine, unless we reach herd immunity as a species relatively soon there will continue to be mutations of this virus as mutations tend to occur when there are large numbers of people or animals infected. The virus will be jumping to other species and mutating potentially making it more lethal as well. One way or another we need to knock this damn thing down and personally I would rather get the vaccine than long haul covid or die. I'd also MUCH rather we get this shit over and done with so that we can go back to not wearing masks and get life back to how it was before the cluster f*** that was 2020 and is 2021.
Even with fear around the vaccine (warranted or not) the big thing with all of this is getting the world back to normal. Or at least a better new normal than this.

Some talk about how we should just go get here immunity...which is exactly what mass vaccinations do. Between vaccines and people who have already had covid and have some immunity her immunity can be reached with a much much smaller death and health toll.

My only worry is we will get a bunch of people vaccinated (not enough) and people will see low numbers and go "hell ya we beat it, I don't need a vaccine" and then it mutates and numbers jump up again. They need to make sure that the amount needed for herd immunity is reached and don't just say "good enough" when the numbers get low.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Well if the virus mutates right now and starts killing children do you think policy makers made the right decision to try and shield them from the virus? Knowing they'd have long term immunity if they caught the current virus which gives them mild symptoms? Because that's what we may have with the South African Variant.

And I feel, I read the study more then a week ago. I want to say it came out around December 28th, another study showing 6 months immunity also came out in early December IIRC.
I mean they didn't have "proof" of that till the study.

So yes policy makers did the right thing trying to protect people. Just saying "well we think if everyone gets it they will for sure be immune so let's just kill people" that would be the wrong decision even if they lucked into being right.

There is also the fear that you let the virus work its way thru the population and it STILL mutates, like viruses do, that could work around whatever Immunity humans have gained (which with the virus being crazy wide spread at that point). Also the likelihood of a vaccine being developed by now in that world is slim to none.

Doing it the way they do and getting the vaccine made means now they have the blueprint. They have a targetted vaccine. If the virus mutates they can in pretty short order tweak the vaccine to make it work with newer strands if needed.

The issue with just letting everyone get it in an attempt to get herd immunity is the more people who have the virus, the more chances the vaccine has to mutate

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
@Drivesaitl .

RE:
I just quoted the bits I was commenting on so my comments had some context. I didn't quote even 10% of the article. Not sure what you mean.
from the previousd thread. I meant that I didn't find it necessary for me to quote your entire post. That's why I just snipped the 2 beginning statements. :)

Reactions: Drivesaitl

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
That's not a smoking gun. Sorry.

694767-bigthumbnail.jpg

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I would allow them before convicts. ;)
Lol.

The question I actually have is how does it work for NHL teams. Are some teams going to have the edge because they all got their covid shots? Do players that don't live in Edmonton get their shots in Edmonton? Will American players have to leave during the year to go back to their hometown to get the shot?

Edit: On the convicts I wonder if people on death row are getting covid shots:laugh:

Reactions: oilers'72

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Lol.

The question I actually have is how does it work for NHL teams. Are some teams going to have the edge because they all got their covid shots? Do players that don't live in Edmonton get their shots in Edmonton? Will American players have to leave during the year to go back to their hometown to get the shot?

Edit: On the convicts I wonder if people on death row are getting covid shots:laugh:

Convict: Are you sure this is only the vaccine injection? ;)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I would allow them before me.

I can continue to do what I'm doing for quite some time, especially if that meant the sports world getting back to normal quicker.
Any industry that leads to a lot of work and jobs should have priority if they are heavily restricted because of covid.

Athletes are a spectator sport, getting them back to work safely leads to all the feeder industries around them being able to actually have work to do.

I'd put athletes and shit ahead of office worker #743

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Any industry that leads to a lot of work and jobs should have priority if they are heavily restricted because of covid.

Athletes are a spectator sport, getting them back to work safely leads to all the feeder industries around them being able to actually have work to do.

And being an office worker, I have no problem with that.:D

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

I get putting athletes ahead of office worker #743, but you must have a real gripe with him if you want shit vaccinated before him. ;)

Reactions: bone and oilers'72

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018

If that office worker is older and is a higher risk I’d say no way. Sorry athletes, but you are almost young and in incredible health, I don’t think they should jump the line.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
My thoughts on jumping the cue. If vaccines are available from manufacturers, which are not sold to some government, then if an organization or company can purchase, source and pay to administer the vaccine to their member/employees then go for it.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/covid-military-medical-intelligence-1.5866627

The Federal government response to Covid has been “a terrible failure”.

@AM had a good link about the abandonment of an emergency response plan and, instead, letting the health ministries be in charge.

“Every Store and School Should be Open.” Confronting the Pandemic with Confidence | C2C Journal

Before Covid-19, there was 9-11. And the morning after the world changed on September 11, 2001, David Redman, Director of Community Programs for Emergency Management Alberta, found himself in Edmonton with 26 other experts representing key government and private sector interests grappling with how the province should respond to this new terrorist threat.

"We spent the first two hours brainstorming, everyone just threw all their ideas on the table,” Redman recalls today. “As a result, we had a million ideas sitting there and no one had a clue what to do with them.” When the other attendees took a much-needed coffee break, Redman got busy with the white board – diagramming, charting and arranging the disparate thoughts into a matrix of five organizational groupings and ten crucial activities. “That’s how you write a plan,” he says, speaking from experience.

-

Redman retired as executive director of the Alberta Emergency Management Agency in 2005.

At the risk of stating the obvious, Redman knows how to plan for an emergency, and how to put plans into action. His accumulated military and civil expertise – as well as two science degrees – is not merely interesting and impressive, it is extremely well-suited to evaluating and critiquing Canada’s current response to Covid-19.
Unfortunately, no one in charge seems interested in hearing Redman’s advice. A series of detailed plans he offered to Alberta Premier Jason Kenney, and later to all the other premiers through the Council of the Federation, have either been completely ignored or passed off as old news. Rather than let a lifetime’s experience go to waste, C2C Journal’s Peter Shawn Taylor sat down with Redman last week to learn the basic rules of emergency planning, the many catastrophic mistakes our governments have made to date and how to shift the focus of Canada’s Covid-19 response from fear to confidence before it’s too late.

-

DR: When an emergency happens, you need a process to create a plan, and then you need to follow that plan. Since the 1950s every government in this country has had a set of emergency plans: what to do in the case of a forest fire, flood, dangerous goods accident or pandemic etc. These are all updated regularly. Alberta’s pandemic plan was last updated in 2014.
But what happened in the middle of March when Covid-19 appeared on our shores after wreaking havoc in China, Italy, Spain and France? Governments took every plan they’d ever written and threw them all out the window. No one followed the process. They panicked, put the doctors in change and hid for three months. And now, having made that mistake, we can’t get out of it.
C2C: Why is it a mistake to put doctors in charge of a pandemic?
DR: The short answer is that a pandemic is not a public health emergency. It is a public emergency. These are two very different things. Public health emergencies are best used for local outbreaks of disease. An outbreak of measles in a single community that can be isolated could be considered a public health emergency. A provincewide or nationwide pandemic should never be declared a public health emergency because the powers that you need and the people who are going to be affected go far beyond the health care system. It affects every citizen, every industry, every non-profit organization. Everything.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
@AM had a good link about the abandonment of an emergency response plan and, instead, letting the health ministries be in charge.

“Every Store and School Should be Open.” Confronting the Pandemic with Confidence | C2C Journal

Before Covid-19, there was 9-11. And the morning after the world changed on September 11, 2001, David Redman, Director of Community Programs for Emergency Management Alberta, found himself in Edmonton with 26 other experts representing key government and private sector interests grappling with how the province should respond to this new terrorist threat.

"We spent the first two hours brainstorming, everyone just threw all their ideas on the table,” Redman recalls today. “As a result, we had a million ideas sitting there and no one had a clue what to do with them.” When the other attendees took a much-needed coffee break, Redman got busy with the white board – diagramming, charting and arranging the disparate thoughts into a matrix of five organizational groupings and ten crucial activities. “That’s how you write a plan,” he says, speaking from experience.

-

Redman retired as executive director of the Alberta Emergency Management Agency in 2005.

At the risk of stating the obvious, Redman knows how to plan for an emergency, and how to put plans into action. His accumulated military and civil expertise – as well as two science degrees – is not merely interesting and impressive, it is extremely well-suited to evaluating and critiquing Canada’s current response to Covid-19.
Unfortunately, no one in charge seems interested in hearing Redman’s advice. A series of detailed plans he offered to Alberta Premier Jason Kenney, and later to all the other premiers through the Council of the Federation, have either been completely ignored or passed off as old news. Rather than let a lifetime’s experience go to waste, C2C Journal’s Peter Shawn Taylor sat down with Redman last week to learn the basic rules of emergency planning, the many catastrophic mistakes our governments have made to date and how to shift the focus of Canada’s Covid-19 response from fear to confidence before it’s too late.

-

DR: When an emergency happens, you need a process to create a plan, and then you need to follow that plan. Since the 1950s every government in this country has had a set of emergency plans: what to do in the case of a forest fire, flood, dangerous goods accident or pandemic etc. These are all updated regularly. Alberta’s pandemic plan was last updated in 2014.
But what happened in the middle of March when Covid-19 appeared on our shores after wreaking havoc in China, Italy, Spain and France? Governments took every plan they’d ever written and threw them all out the window. No one followed the process. They panicked, put the doctors in change and hid for three months. And now, having made that mistake, we can’t get out of it.
C2C: Why is it a mistake to put doctors in charge of a pandemic?
DR: The short answer is that a pandemic is not a public health emergency. It is a public emergency. These are two very different things. Public health emergencies are best used for local outbreaks of disease. An outbreak of measles in a single community that can be isolated could be considered a public health emergency. A provincewide or nationwide pandemic should never be declared a public health emergency because the powers that you need and the people who are going to be affected go far beyond the health care system. It affects every citizen, every industry, every non-profit organization. Everything.

Not at the same level, but as kids, my Dad went over the entire escape plan and strategy of evacuating from our PMQ happened to catch fire. Each room had a separate and specific strategy, although the bedrooms were the main focus. I'm going to guess not a lot of households do anything like that. Mine included as a matter of fact. I think I'll start making some notes....:)

Reactions: oilers'72
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad