OT: Coronavirus XXXV: Y'all Got Any More of Them Vaccines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
That’s not how it works. They don’t just have it sit on a shelf for two weeks...the vaccines get used as they come in.
say if Alberta gets 100,000 doses...the original plan was to only inject 50,000 people because the vaccine requires 2 doses
essentially, they're "keeping" 50,000 doses for round #2 instead of giving those 50,000 to new people

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Not a fan of this move. Several sources still stating that first dose vaccine is only giving 50-52% immunity. I mean thats good relative to Flu Vaccines but its a huge gamble and doesn't maximize safety for anybody. I would prefer that vaccinated people first in line, that they get both of their shots first. I'll wait.

I’d prefer if the Feds keep their word and we don’t have to make that choice. Time will tell.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
say if Alberta gets 100,000 doses...the original plan was to only inject 50,000 people because the vaccine requires 2 doses
essentially, they're "keeping" 50,000 doses for round #2 instead of giving those 50,000 to new people
The whole idea of a vaccine that takes two doses for it to be effective is that people need two doses. I really don’t see what you’re trying to say here. Are you advocating that no one should ever get a second dose because that might hold someone up from getting their first???

this is where actual management and supply chain is so important. If the federal government can’t meet their promises then it puts the entire country in a bind with lives at stake. This is why the groundwork and the acquisition of vaccines was so important. This is why I can’t just accept people giving the feds a free pass for not coming through.

Last edited:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The whole idea of a vaccine that takes two doses for it to be effective is that people need two doses. I really don’t see what you’re trying to say here. Are you advocating that no one should ever get a second dose because that might hold someone up from getting their first???
I'm saying I don't mind extending the wait period for the 2nd dose...thus instead of giving people the next dose after 2 weeks, you give those allocated for their 2nd dose to new people

the 1st dose is approx. 52% effective....if we were to vaccinate 100,000 people with 1 dose, 52,000 will be immune
if we instead only vaccinate 50,000 people for 2 doses, that's only 47,500 immune (95% effective)

52,000 > 47,500....simple math ;)

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'm saying I don't mind extending the wait period for the 2nd dose...thus instead of giving people the next dose after 2 weeks, you give those allocated for their 2nd dose to new people

the 1st dose is approx. 52% effective....if we were to vaccinate 100,000 people with 1 dose, 52,000 will be immune
if we instead only vaccinate 50,000 people for 2 doses, that's only 47,500 immune (95% effective)

You can still give that second dose to other people. It doesn’t have to just sit there collecting dust like you keep on saying...

I guess if you want to pretend like you know more about the vaccine than the people who developed it that say the 2nd dose has to be given two weeks after the first. Maybe you should be developing ground breaking vaccines and making medical breakthroughs instead of posting on a hockey forum.

Reactions: oilers'72

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
You can still give that second dose to other people. It doesn’t have to just sit there collecting dust like you keep on saying...

I guess if you want to pretend like you know more about the vaccine than the people who developed it that say the 2nd dose has to be given two weeks after the first. Maybe you should be developing ground breaking vaccines and making medical breakthroughs instead of posting on a hockey forum.
I’m not saying I know more about the vaccine lol
All I’m saying I agree with provinces delaying the 2nd dose
Sorry if that bothers you

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
Canada is pretty much middle of the pack in terms of vaccines/capita for developed nations. What were you guys expecting?

Vaccinations will hopefully ramp up a bit as more companies start developing their own vaccines.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Canada is pretty much middle of the pack in terms of vaccines/capita for developed nations. What were you guys expecting?

Vaccinations will hopefully ramp up a bit as more companies start developing their own vaccines.

Trudeau promised in September that we would be first in line for vaccines. So I expect him to live up to that promise. Thought it was pretty bold at the time.

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
Trudeau promised in September that we would be first in line for vaccines. So I expect him to live up to that promise. Thought it was pretty bold at the time.
Doubt we'll be first in line for anything. I do believe with production ramping up for existing vaccines, and other vaccines seeing good results we will see the light at the end of this dang tunnel approach faster than we thought!

Have a good night I downed 15mg of melatonin

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Doubt we'll be first in line for anything. I do believe with production ramping up for existing vaccines, and other vaccines seeing good results we will see the light at the end of this dang tunnel approach faster than we thought!

Have a good night I downed 15mg of melatonin

I agree that we won't be first in line, and if he had simply said that we would hopefully be the top 10 as far as procurement, then there wouldn't be an issue. But he went bold, do it's fair to question him on that now. Have a good sleep!

Reactions: oilers'72

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did Kenney say they'd give businesses a one week notice before opening up?

If true, then does that mean today we should be hearing from him on whether restrictions are staying or being lifted?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did Kenney say they'd give businesses a one week notice before opening up?

If true, then does that mean today we should be hearing from him on whether restrictions are staying or being lifted?

Yup. But with hospital numbers still stubbornly high, I don’t expect any restrictions to be lifted for a while.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

The problem with this approach is that in order to protect the population you may need 70-80% of the people effectively vaccinated. Moreover a big unknown is the duration of protection. The second dose isthought to extend the duration significantly. So the risk is you will have to start all over again.

If you want your hambuger today you still have to pay me on Tuesday!

Reactions: nabob

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Reads much like an opinion piece.

It doesn't feel like inaction as we do have a crap ton of vaccines ordered, more per capita than others. It does seem like they just hitched their horse to the wrong vaccine and he was left scrambling.

So more of a bad decision than inaction.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Their response is.."we have given you everything we got.....by jumping the queue of vaccine approvals." "Now we get what we can"
They didn't jump any que. They had a bunch of countries move in front of them while they chased Chinese vaccines, and then had to get back in line. Your last sentence is correct, however.

Last edited:
Reactions: nabob and oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
numbers dropping everywhere in the province for 3-4 weeks except in hospitals.

community numbers not even half what they were. In Edmonton a fraction of what they were, for weeks, hospitals still full. ICU even increasing hmmmm

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
numbers dropping everywhere in the province for 3-4 weeks except in hospitals.

community numbers not even half what they were. In Edmonton a fraction of what they were, for weeks, hospitals still full. ICU even increasing hmmmm
I would be interested to see the numbers for new admissions to hospital and ICU versus those who have been there for a substantial period of time.

I have no idea how any of this actually works, but perhaps now that cases are down and I would assume there are less new admissions, patients are staying longer? Without the continued strain, hospitals are able to keep patients in for longer without needing to strain resources? A patient who would have been sent home in December to recover there is now kept in hospital for more supervision because they are able?

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Some of the restrictions are being lifted on Monday. I think it was the salons, tattoo parlors, etc. Also, increasing the number of people at gatherings. Still nothing on a lot of other industries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad