OT: Coronavirus XXVIII: Vaccinations to Start Soon? Would You Take One By Years End?

Would You Take a COVID Vaccine by Year's End?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
It already lasted weeks in March and April. Now we are back to major restrictions. How many more times do we do this before people say nope?

Their predictions have sucked so far though. They got it wrong every step of the way.

Back in March and April though it hardly seemed real. I certainly didn't know anyone who had caught it.

Now though with numbers so high I know several people who have caught it. Some no or minor symptoms, some more serious (thankfully nobody had to go to hospital). It feels a lot more real now.

Reactions: LaGu

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Just as a small observation it seems were starting to go sideways in new cases with numbers hovering around 1300/day. Hopefully this means that the curve is rolling over and with the additional measures we can return to some sort of "normal" soon.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Just as a small observation it seems were starting to go sideways in new cases with numbers hovering around 1300/day. Hopefully this means that the curve is rolling over and with the additional measures we can return to some sort of "normal" soon.

Never look at data in two or three day segments. Too much randomness. Last week some people felt optimistic when we went from the then record 1000 cases and dropped 4 days in a row down to 732 before setting new daily records four days in a row after that.

Using a 7-day rolling average, cases have still been increasing anywhere from 4-9% daily over the last week (6% today). There is only 2 days where the rolling 7 day average dropped since September. Those days were October 17 and 31.

Looking at the curves on even more stringent lockdowns, numbers take 2-3 weeks to really start showing the effect.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
there’s already mask mandates in almost every single county in the Province. People continually harp on that as some glaring thing that the government didn’t do, but it’s already covered for any area where Covid is a problem and areas that would cause the healthcare system to be overwhelmed.

Amen. Too much common sense.

Everybody in public places is wearing masks anyway, and its not a lack of that, at all, that is driving numbers. But its the only thing the knobs can talk about now. They can't do wheres Kenney, wheres waldo, its the only game they have left.

Reactions: oilers'72 and nabob

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
It's straight forward to you because you're making brutal assumptions. Here's what your reasoning looks like.

- Cops take an oath to uphold the peace.
- Shooting people is not peaceful.
- Therefore, cops are never justified in shooting people.

See, it's straight forward.

Never mind that the Hypocratic oath isn't taken literally because it leads to absurd reasoning.
I didn’t say it was literal.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What strange times we live in. Illegal to gather in your own home with your own family for the holidays. I know i know, virus, flatten the curve for a second time, yadda yadda. You know the logical reasons, but something in the back of your mind says it does not feel right somehow. Like the government feeling obliged to enforce what goes on in your own home. Granted its not like you are allowed to break the law in your own home anyways, you can't do drugs or beat the crap out of your family, understood. But paying fines that could be as high as 100 000 dollars feels like an overreaction.

Will I social distance and not see my family? Yup. I will sacrifice this Christmas like I have this Thanksgiving, last years Easter, etc. But if they ask me to sacrifice next Christmas, if this crap is still going on, I will tell the Government to shove it. I will play along temporarily but i foresee a future that in order to look out for us peasants they will enforce a lot more rules like this more because they will tell us they know what's best for us.

Either its a slippery slope or a hill full of nothing, I just don't trust our elected officials to not change the world permanently based on what's going on now. September 11th happened and it affected one country, but somehow we got stuck with a system of super strict airport restrictions, more justified surveillance world wide and the planet was never the same after that event. They used a tragedy to benefit themselves and their corporate buddies. I just fear that the world is not going back to normal even if we clear this hurdle. This does not feel right. Am i crazy?

I vote yes by the way. I am not comfortable with giving the government so much power as to control 100 percent of what goes on in our own, now we have given them a way in and an excuse because of fear. I trust the doctor's and officials but not to the point of ignoring my own critical thinking. When something starts feeling off i will make a point to mention it, right now its fine we know pandemics require strict regulation, I just don't want them to intrude in our homes permanently.

This was a pushed decision. Every newspaper in the country, every pundit, every opponent clamoring for this. I don't know that I would have given in this much, and the personal at home restrictions are fodder for ample criticism down the road, not gonna do it now, that will be analyzed forever, and its 3 weeks. Probably what happens is they extend it for a week to bring the date up near Xmas and its anybodies guess at that point. I tend to think the combo of vaccine and numbers going down will loosen anxiety by then.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The thing for us, is our Christmas get together includes only 2 additional people making for 6 people in total because my wife is an only child. So it's just my wife's parents, who will likely isolate prior to and after Xmas and with our young kid now being out as of the 18th, she'll have been away from any direct potential contagion for at least 7 days before and likely 14 days after. The older daughter will have been away from contagion for four weeks. The risk profile of that get together doesn't even exist it's so low, so I'll be pretty annoyed if they feel the need to make the entire police force work the holiday to try and enforce against that kind of social gathering.

I understand cancelling our bigger extended get togethers and we've already done so, but I don't agree with it in a case like ours where it can be easily demonstrated how low of a risk there is.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about it, sounds like the province is going to take a little bit hashing out the details and then there will likely be some back and forth between the provincial government and municipalities so it might be a week or so before we get a more clear picture on enforcement.

When they finally do get it all sorted out I’m sure the message will be that peace officers are only to hand out fines to the most egregious offences where someone’s got 15-20+ people in their house.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I wouldn’t be too concerned about it, sounds like the province is going to take a little bit hashing out the details and then there will likely be some back and forth between the provincial government and municipalities so it might be a week or so before we get a more clear picture on enforcement.

When they finally do get it all sorted out I’m sure the message will be that peace officers are only to hand out fines to the most egregious offences where someone’s got 15-20+ people in their house.

Yeah. We'll continue to plan and see the landscape at that time understanding it can change (both good or bad). Fortunately we live within a 10 minute drive, so it doesn't take a lot of planning to adjust.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I agree, there should be cooperation to resolve these types of issues. I might be jaded but I just believe it's unrealistic in our current political atmosphere.
Now, I realize that Mayor Don isn't the official provincial opposition, but I'm pretty sure he won't be sending a Christmas card to Kenney or anyone in the UPC. And I doubt it's a stretch that he could be trolling for the NDP leadership when 'Ol Scarecrow hangs' em up. No secret that I'm not in love with the guy with some of what I thought were hair brained moves during his reign. However, a few props to him for throwing the partisan hat away for one small moment if he genuinely believes something good may have happened.
His comments, in reaction to the measures announced yesterday.

Meanwhile, Edmonton Mayor Don Iveson applauded the measures in a statement.
“I’ve long stressed that a regional approach is key to helping slow the spread of COVID-19 which is why I’m relieved to see the province announce these new measures today that I hope will help flatten the curve across our region,” said Iveson.

Maybe there is a Santa Claus. And possibly some cheap lakefront property.;)

Reactions: Skar and nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Amen. Too much common sense.

Everybody in public places is wearing masks anyway, and its not a lack of that, at all, that is driving numbers. But its the only thing the knobs can talk about now. They can't do wheres Kenney, wheres waldo, its the only game they have left.
Yeah the “where’s Kenney” thing blew up in their face pretty bad when it turned out he was isolating as he should while being on tons of phone call with doctors, business owners and medical professionals from all over the province during that time. I’m guessing that part of the massive hate on he’s getting from the opposition and her minions today because they were made to look like complete fools.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Now, I realize that Mayor Don isn't the official provincial opposition, but I'm pretty sure he won't be sending a Christmas card to Kenney or anyone in the UPC. And I doubt it's a stretch that he could be trolling for the NDP leadership when 'Ol Scarecrow hangs' em up. No secret that I'm not in love with the guy with some of what I thought were hair brained moves during his reign. However, a few props to him for throwing the partisan hat away for one small moment if he genuinely believes something good may have happened.
His comments, in reaction to the measures announced yesterday.

Meanwhile, Edmonton Mayor Don Iveson applauded the measures in a statement.
“I’ve long stressed that a regional approach is key to helping slow the spread of COVID-19 which is why I’m relieved to see the province announce these new measures today that I hope will help flatten the curve across our region,” said Iveson.

Maybe there is a Santa Claus. And possibly some cheap lakefront property.;)

No Iveson fan either, but thats what a reasonable reply looks like. Never more important than at this time that there is some corroboration, and which furthers cooperation.

Its the trouble with the naysaying, is it not only sets divisive tone, it confuses people in times where that is certainly not needed. We're all Albertans here. Its OK to act like it.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Yeah the “where’s Kenney” thing blew up in their face pretty bad when it turned out he was isolating as he should while being on tons of phone call with doctors, business owners and medical professionals from all over the province during that time. I’m guessing that part of the massive hate on he’s getting from the opposition and her minions today because they were made to look like complete fools.

And yet they still claim he's MIA because he won't do a CBC interview. After listening to Hinshaw's presser today, I can understand why. Nothing but an attack question from the CBC near the end, with his agenda quite clear. They have been spoon fed that a complete lockdown is the only way to go, and seem to be irate that the govt didn't follow that plan, and won't let it go. I'm proud to be a Canadian in so many ways, but admit I'm embarrassed that our taxpayer funded national broadcaster is allowed to be run the way it is. At the very least fake interest that you want to cover both spectrum's without bias.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Never look at data in two or three day segments. Too much randomness. Last week some people felt optimistic when we went from the then record 1000 cases and dropped 4 days in a row down to 732 before setting new daily records four days in a row after that.

Using a 7-day rolling average, cases have still been increasing anywhere from 4-9% daily over the last week (6% today). There is only 2 days where the rolling 7 day average dropped since September. Those days were October 17 and 31.

Looking at the curves on even more stringent lockdowns, numbers take 2-3 weeks to really start showing the effect.

Yep. The constant is we're holding around 8 % of tests being positive, and generally we're doing lots of testing. So that when we process 20K tests a day we're getting big case numbers.

For comparison Sask are routinely seeing 10% rates of infection and Manitoba around 14%. Clearly those provinces are doing MUCH worse and have much less population density, and shouldn't be having as much of a problem with this. Alberta being by far the most populated prairie province, with cold dry winters was going to be hit relatively hard.

We've mitigated well. We're now at 71ICU and for the first time through the entire pandemic we are ranging to the 75 Covid ICU beds allotted. Most jurisdictions have blown their hospitals out of the water.

Reactions: oilers'72 and nabob

Pucklington

Mar 24, 2008
Köln

Not really as it turned out he was still fund raising for UCP, and attendance of other UCP events. I would call that absent leadership.

Reactions: HK97

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yep. The constant is we're holding around 8 % of tests being positive, and generally we're doing lots of testing. So that when we process 20K tests a day we're getting big case numbers.

For comparison Sask are routinely seeing 10% rates of infection and Manitoba around 14%. Clearly those provinces are doing MUCH worse and have much less population density,
and shouldn't be having as much of a problem with this. Alberta being by far the most populated prairie province, with cold dry winters was going to be hit relatively hard.

We've mitigated well. We're now at 71ICU and for the first time through the entire pandemic we are ranging to the 75 Covid ICU beds allotted. Most jurisdictions have blown their hospitals out of the water.

I wish more people would pay attention to the numbers. Truth is that some people will never be happy. They want a complete lockdown on social gatherings and they get it, but then they try to tell you that social gatherings at homes aren’t proven to be the biggest spreaders according to the stats they want to use.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

For comparison Sask are routinely seeing 10% rates of infection and Manitoba around 14%. Clearly those provinces are doing MUCH worse and have much less population density, and shouldn't be having as much of a problem with this. Alberta being by far the most populated prairie province, with cold dry winters was going to be hit relatively hard.

Yeah, I prefer watching ICU and hospitalizations as those cases will be captured regardless of testing capacity in all jurisdictions and our elevated testing possibly explains why our death rate seems less than many other jurisdictions. That said testing volume is still somewhat related to how many people are feeling ill so it's still a very relevent measure in my mind to at least compare to ourself.

ICU and hospitalizations are still going up too much but not as drastically as in recent past. ICU increased at least 4% every day using 7 day averages from October 28 to November 15th before slowing down a little, but the 7 day average is creeping up a bit again though the last four days.

Non-ICU hospitalizations increased more the 4% every day from November 9th until the 20th, but is now settling a little bit but still over 3% each day.

Long way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad