OT: Coronavirus XXVI: Keep Bickering to a Minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Is it though? No one likes people dying but Alberta averages 2200 deaths a month in 2019, thats 73 deaths a day by average.

Considering 88% of the covid deaths in the last 7.5 months are over the age of 80, I would say its prob on par for normal but because of covid we can make it look bad?

In Alberta the percentage of people accounting for Covid-19 deaths over the age of 80 is 66%.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Is it though? No one likes people dying but Alberta averages 2200 deaths a month in 2019, thats 73 deaths a day by average.

Considering 88% of the covid deaths in the last 7.5 months are over the age of 80, I would say its prob on par for normal but because of covid we can make it look bad?
So explain back when the daily death rate from Covid was 0 to 5 people was considered normal/sad.
It really was not that long ago... Maybe a month max.
I know most here seem to think they are much smarter than others but comments like these should be ban worthy.
20 humans lost their life due to Covid today.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
There really is nothing to adjudicate. Everyone is/should be on the same page. It looks like a couple guys here are just too bored and arguing for the sake of argument.

This. lol, I don't even bother responding to them anymore. They seem to think, like you say, that they're smarter than others, but if you look at their entire work it's very hypocritical, more biased and paritsan than they care to admit. And they seem to think they're the authority on what articles, data, opinion pieces etc are "legitimate".

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
So explain back when the daily death rate from Covid was 0 to 5 people was considered normal/sad.
I know most here seem to think they are much smarter than others but comments like these should be ban worthy.

20 more due to heart disease, and 20 more due to cancer.

Reactions: oilers'72

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Throughout the pandemic Hinshaw has been the best public health source of information I've seen, from any Health CEO, anywhere, and rivaled imo only by Bonnie Henry in BC. Both have been incredible.

I'll go further. She's the best public govt speaker I've seen in decades. Her consistency, ability to answer questions, flawlessly provide information, and her RESPECTFUL nature of doing all this is, jmo, beyond reproach.

What kind of sordid individuals, what degree of bitterness, hostility, results in attacking somebody like this and what they are so competently doing.

Anybody critiquing the fine work she' done should maybe consider what a difficult and thankless role she has. Speaking of which does anybody know how I could comment to that effect, specifically to AHS or encourage others to do so? She deserves some accolade.

Agree 100%. Listened to her presser today, and I marvel at the patience that woman has. I understand if someone doesn't agree with her, that's fine, but some of the social media comments towards her are just vile and disgusting.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
A thread by Dr. Deena Hinshaw

Here is a summary of today’s #COVID19AB update.

Thank you for quickly adapting to the measures that came into effect Fri. Over the past 24hrs we have IDd 860 new cases & completed 12K+ tests. Our positivity rate is 7% & our active cases have risen to 10,031. (1/13)

There are 264 people in hospital w/57 in ICU. I have heard questions about how COVID hospitalizations & ICU numbers compare to influenza season & why our current acute care burden is so challenging. There are several differences between COVID-19 & influenza. (2/13)

We’ve had 49 acute care COVID outbreaks w/42 deaths in 7.5 months, despite extraordinary measures. The worst acute care outbreak numbers related to influenza in the past 5yrs - 40 outbreaks w/13 deaths in a full year. (3/13)

Processes that enhance safety, limit capacity. Isolation policies for patients w/COVID-19 symptoms, confirmed cases or those exposed mean not using multi-bed rooms & more PPE. Staff who have COVID or symptoms that could be COVID or have been exposed are unable to work. (4/13)

As transmission rises, health care workers or their family members can be exposed. This impacts the system as services can not be operated w/o skilled workers to provide them. Continuing care outbreaks impact acute care as patient transfer is limited w/outbreaks underway. (5/13)

I must report 20 new deaths over the past 24hrs. As cases rise, our deaths will rise. Each one of these people will be missed & mourned. The measures in place are literally a matter of life & death & the choices Albertans make now will determine our future in a few weeks. (6/13)

There are active alerts or outbreaks in 309 schools w/1,046 active cases. This incl 65 schools on the watch list. In-school transmission has likely occurred in 151 schools – 79 had only 1 new case result. When we drive comm. transmission down, we’ll see this in school #s. (7/13)

Each case has on average 15 close contacts. That means with 1K new cases a day, there are 15k new close contacts a day. It is impossible to call each one, which is why AHS has changed its processes and is using tech like the online portal & text notification. (8/13)

If you test positive, share your info, it is easy & anonymous. If you receive a text from AHS that you are a close contact, take the time to respond w/the option that matches your situation. This is critical to helping AHS prioritize phone calls where they matter most. (9/13)

I want to thank those adjusting their Diwali celebrations. Everyone’s holidays are looking different this year, but that doesn’t mean we can’t find joy or appreciate their meaning. One thing we can all take away from Diwali, is that light always overcomes the darkness. (10/13)

I know many are feeling the darkness of COVID-19. There is a lag time between actions & results, but if we follow public health measures, along w/restrictions in our communities, we could start to see results in the next 1-2 weeks. We have power when we work together. (11/13)

1 million+ AB have been immunized for influenza compared to about 940K at this time last year. We haven’t had 1 lab-confirmed case of seasonal influenza yet, meaning 0 related hospitalizations or deaths. In 2019-20, we had 8,470 lab-confirmed cases & 41 related deaths. (12/13)

I hope you see this as some light in the darkness. These results, of record vaccine uptake and no cases demonstrably show the power of us working together. There is no way around COVID-19 without this same power of collective action. We must continue to work together. (13/13)

Reactions: bone and Dorian2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Agree 100%. Listened to her presser today, and I marvel at the patience that woman has. I understand if someone doesn't agree with her, that's fine, but some of the social media comments towards her are just vile and disgusting.

Thanks man, Good to see that some people share this concern. I wanted to type the bolded, but stepped back from that as I got the message across anyway.

But moreso precious few individuals in present day display patience and grace. Hinshaw most definitely being one of those and I just feel its wrong to respond to grace with such anger and hostility. People should focus on Covid-19, and what they can do to limit harm in themselves, others, to focus the agst and pain on Hinshaw is misattribution, and when that occurs it just reinforces why quality people decreasingly go into such public service.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Next, absolutely disappointeded that contact tracers are being abused on the phone by people taking the calls. Apparently this is now common, and contact tracers are being abused on the phone every day. They have a difficult job, just saying, and as unpleasant, and even frightening that it might be receiving a call from them regarding a potential exposure, are we really that society now where somebody phoning for the strict purpose of our collective safety are now commonly getting sworn and yelled at?

We really need to reduce some of the anger in our society right now if this is what the contract tracers are getting collectively, in response.

Gonna say it too. This is one of the first times I've seen Hinshaw look like this is finally all getting to her. I mean what can they even think about our society if you're in a role doing what she does, or aware of contact tracers doing what they do, and that we're seeing such vitriolic responses just through protective actions?

It speaks to our society and the message is really bad.

I don't know what the contact tracer's script is (so to speak) upon calling someone but with all the scammers out there claiming to be from the CRA or a local police force or from Microsoft or whoever, I can see them now claiming to be a contact tracer in an attempt to collect personal information and people, unjustifiably, are lashing out.

I don't know if this is the case and I'm not defending their behaviour and actions but I can see some thinking it's a scam call. If they're just being bitches and assholes for the sake of being bitches and assholes, then that is truly unfortunate to treat someone in that regard who is just trying to do a job and trying to preserve health.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
If the 60k government worker is working a job that can easily be automated out, then they are adding zero value. Automate the job, have the person sit on CERB or whatever at $2k/month, and the government's balance sheet has improved without any loss of productivity.

The government can lay off 2 or 3 of those people, hire 1 nurse/teacher/etc. and you have added positive value to the economy. Those people who brought no value can either retrain or find a job that pays them according to their skillset.

Or they’ll do what has always been done: they’ll come back as “consultants” do do the same job for twice the pay.

Interesting too that you focus on “productivity” and ignore the real economic cost of unemployment and lost wages.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
This. lol, I don't even bother responding to them anymore. They seem to think, like you say, that they're smarter than others, but if you look at their entire work it's very hypocritical, more biased and paritsan than they care to admit. And they seem to think they're the authority on what articles, data, opinion pieces etc are "legitimate".
all you do is post lockdown articles, and have been advocating it for months
your agenda couldn't be clearer

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
its pretty pathetic some of the goon politics going on where you have people dismissing or watering down their medical experts advice and then when that backfires they blame the expert.
It’s not just about the medical part. When do you think the deniers are going to understand that.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
The brutality of human life spans seems to be something you are just discovering. Yes it’s sad to fear death. You have to be brave to live.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Some Real Tulipmania going on in the stockmarkets which is increasingly bizarre.

Moderna exploding on the basis of self reports of virus efficiency on preliminary results with a very low sample of people. Not only is this news effecting their stocks its effecting the whole markets. Real crazy times and further indication that the markets are just unstable.

There shouldn't be this much day to day volatility on what is unsubstantiated, still unproven.

I mean this harkens back to the Bre-X scam (Not saying this is) where a small mining firm was able to uber valuate their stock holdings all on the basis one gold salted sample.

Really nothing seems to have changed since then.

Now again I'm not claiming any malfeasance here, just that its plain nuts how erratic the market is. All a pharma has to say now is we have some real great news, and bang, watch the stock shoot up. This is crazier than the Potmarket start ups a fews years back.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I don't know what the contact tracer's script is (so to speak) upon calling someone but with all the scammers out there claiming to be from the CRA or a local police force or from Microsoft or whoever, I can see them now claiming to be a contact tracer in an attempt to collect personal information and people, unjustifiably, are lashing out.

I don't know if this is the case and I'm not defending their behaviour and actions but I can see some thinking it's a scam call. If they're just being bitches and assholes for the sake of being bitches and assholes, then that is truly unfortunate to treat someone in that regard who is just trying to do a job and trying to preserve health.

Wait, what, are you telling me the CRA calls aren't legit? ;) Probably had one a day for the last month. Sometimes I have the time to torment them, and claim victory when they start swearing at me and hang up.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Some Real Tulipmania going on in the stockmarkets which is increasingly bizarre.

Moderna exploding on the basis of self reports of virus efficiency on preliminary results with a very low sample of people. Not only is this news effecting their stocks its effecting the whole markets. Real crazy times and further indication that the markets are just unstable.

There shouldn't be this much day to day volatility on what is unsubstantiated, still unproven.

I mean this harkens back to the Bre-X scam (Not saying this is) where a small mining firm was able to uber valuate their stock holdings all on the basis one gold salted sample.

Really nothing seems to have changed since then.

Now again I'm not claiming any malfeasance here, just that its plain nuts how erratic the market is. All a pharma has to say now is we have some real great news, and bang, watch the stock shoot up. This is crazier than the Potmarket start ups a fews years back.

Being propped up by the Fed. And an influx of Covid day traders. Fundamentals went out the window a long time ago. At some point we will get our correction. I actually think when people hear the news about the 90%, the shipment in Dec, they let their guard down even more about the virus, and figure a cure is just around the corner, so I don't need to really worry too much. I betcha the average Joe's won't see the vaccine in meaningful volume till April at the earliest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad