OT: Coronavirus XVII: Second Wave? More Like a Tsunami

Status
Not open for further replies.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Really unfortunate for a lot of these businesses. Certainly unprecedented times. It's only going to get worse I suspect.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
@harpoon
Im curious. I was looking at government stats last week for a client and saw that Italy is one of the worst countries (among G10) for under-employment. The figures I saw had Italy at 22% under-employment (I guess that includes the 9+% that are completely unemployed). That rate of under-employment compares very poorly to Germany (8%), the US (7%), the UK (11%), Japan (6%). Only France is close at 17%. Easy to look at stats on a page, but do you have a similar sense living there? I mean are there a lot of people who want to work but can’t find a job? Or are stuck in a part time job with limited hours when they’d like to work more regularly?

It is not great where I live, but being in the north in Lombardy we are kind of spared from the worst of it. Here we are (were) around 5-6% unemployment, while in the south you can take your pick, Sicily, Calabria, Puglia, all over 20% unemployment (not even talking under-employment).

I think one big issue here is that there are so many that work few hours "officially" and then do the rest off the books. I mean there is a lot of poverty, especially in the south.

Sorry, have to run, might edit the post later.

Reactions: harpoon

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

We can't control the virus, so we'll just buy our way out of it. Sorry everyone else. Potential bad omen for when a vaccine is available.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

We can't control the virus, so we'll just buy our way out of it. Sorry everyone else. Potential bad omen for when a vaccine is available.

The mass production effort of a vaccine for Covid-19 would probably blow away any mass production effort in human history. We won't have to worry about the US buying up the billions of doses that will be manufactured over the year or so it becomes available.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I saw a news report that a swanky long standing Toronto hotel is opening again, and the manager says they are enthusiastically welcoming visitors to the historic place. However, guests MUST wear a mask during their entire stay anywhere in the hotel, when not in their rooms. Sorry, for me, if that is what it takes to stay in a hotel these days, I'll just hang out at home thankyou.

Last edited:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I saw a news report that a swanky long standing Toronto hotel is opening again, and the manager says they are enthusiastically welcoming visitors to the historic place. However, guests MUST wear a mask during their entire stay anywhere in the hotel, when not in their rooms. Sorry, for me, if that is what it takes to stay in a hotel these days, I'll just hang out at home.
My problem with hotels is they charge you to stay at them. And I’ve got a perfectly good house that I’m paying for anyways. Somehow the wife doesn’t see it that way though.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Arizona had their highest daily death number. People having to be transported around to find an open ICU bed. Florida's ICU beds from 1600 available to ~1000 in a couple days. Texas seeing the same.

One dynamic born of a for profit medical system as well, there are some reports, specifically in Texas, about hospitals being hesitant to reveal their full bed situation because they want to keep areas of their hospitals open for the far more profitable elective surgeries. There is less money in just putting old people on ventilators for weeks on end when you can keep that consistent flow of big money surgeries flowing through the hospital that only need a short ICU stay afterwards. No pay days for the surgeons in people just laying there being treated by nurses.

Edit: Just looked up that Texas story again. Looks like the Governor got wise to what was going on and outright banned elective surgeries in a lot of areas yesterday. Good move.

Last edited:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
The mass production effort of a vaccine for Covid-19 would probably blow away any mass production effort in human history. We won't have to worry about the US buying up the billions of doses that will be manufactured over the year or so it becomes available.

You have more faith in the system than I do. Eventually it will available to all, but I doubt that third world countries will get first dibs.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
You have more faith in the system than I do. Eventually it will available to all, but I doubt that third world countries will get first dibs.

Not a chance they do. It does appear though that some "pre-sellers" of vaccines are at least acting with a bit of self imposed ethics, not letting 1 country buy everything up. It's really up to the people selling to have a bit of a conscience. There was zero chance that a company like Gilead would do anything but sell to the highest bidder.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not a big surprise. If it's your country that wins the lottery and discovers a vaccine, it's only natural that you look after your own first, and then fan out supplies to others as quickly as possible after that. Charity begins at home.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Fauci said the US will have to group test or whatever they call it like they do in China. It’s where they put 5 or so peoples tests into 1 machine to save on supplies. If it’s a negative result then all 5 tests were negative. If it’s a positive they rerun the tests individually to see how many of the 5 were the positive. Apparently they can increase the testing by 500% if they do that. Seems to make sense.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
They just don’t get it in America, do they? Let’s get 100,000 people to sign a waiver so they can fill Cowboy Stadium. Never mind that it will spike the virus to unheard of levels.

My God does that country need some actual leadership right now and their citizens to park their misplaced sense of personal freedoms and politics aside for the greater good.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

If California isn't the most liberal state in the USA it is right up there. Proof positive that there are idiots on both sides of the political spectrum in the USA.

At this rate we may have herd immunity before any other country because as a whole we are doing a piss poor job as a country and as individuals.

Reactions: yukoner88

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
They just don’t get it in America, do they? Let’s get 100,000 people to sign a waiver so they can fill Cowboy Stadium. Never mind that it will spike the virus to unheard of levels.

My God does that country need some actual leadership right now and their citizens to park their misplaced sense of personal freedoms and politics aside for the greater good.

Trump went on Fox today and claimed (again) the virus will one day just disappear.

Reactions: McBeastMode

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Trump went on Fox today and claimed (again) the virus will one day just disappear.

At this rate we may have herd immunity by fall.

I hope that the US mainland has herd immunity soon so that maybe we get spared the pandemic. Then we just have to watch out for those damn Canadian tourists for bringing the virus in since they have limited th ed spread so well :)

Being 100% serious, by then there will have been enough people that have recovered to go to the games.

Their parents must be proud. And then they wonder why some animal species eat their young.

Reactions: oobga
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->