OT: Coronavirus XVI: Hey Covid-19, Piss Off Already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I'm fine with tipping and I'm fine with them not paying tax on it. Heck I already paid tax on that money
Everyone has already paid tax on the money they're using to buy something... The government taxes the circulation of money, not the printing of it.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Honestly if this is the case then maybe they shouldn't come here.

How come. Even a crappy retail job where they are barely making ends meet might be better than the situation they came from. Doesn't mean it couldn't be better though for everyone.

Reactions: KingKhron

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
How come. Even a crappy retail job where they are barely making ends meet might be better than the situation they came from. Doesn't mean it couldn't be better though for everyone.
When you start getting to the unemployment numbers that we are at, I have a hard time feeling bad for people that just came to this Country.

We need to start taking care of the people that are already here. All we do is add more and more issues, before fixing the ones we have.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Honestly if this is the case then maybe they shouldn't come here.
I'm not sure if you're serious or not... If you looked at the requirements to immigrate here, most Canadians would not be allowed to immigrate to Canada. The requirements are quite high and many people were engineers, doctors, nurses, etc. in their home countries. Canada doesn't recognize their degrees and some people have to work low skilled/minimum wage jobs while they take the necessary courses/classes/training to have their designations recognized here.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Lots of these people aren't kids who live at home though. There are a ton of people who have immigrated here and are trying to feed their families on a McDonald's salary. Some people haven't had the same opportunities for education that some of us have and work minimum wage labour & warehousing jobs. Some people who are servers are trying to pay their way through university so they don't graduate $80k in the hole.

It's not just Timmy working his first job to pay for his Supreme sweatpants and a pair of Jordans to flex to his friends in grade 11.

So extremely high minimum wage should be mandated to service very bad immigration decisions and policy?

WE know why one provincial party increased the minimum wage. Buying specious votes.

But its unjustified and not proportionally in line with other jobs and the hardships/risks/skill/responsibility in those jobs. Minimum wage is so high it reduces the ability to hire for more difficult positions.

Minimum wage has gone up disproportionately relative to other middle earner wages.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
When you start getting to the unemployment numbers that we are at, I have a hard time feeling bad for people that just came to this Country.

We need to start taking care of the people that are already here. All we do is add more and more issues, before fixing the ones we have.

We're getting a little too into the weeds and it's a touchy subject. I'll just leave it by saying that there are good reasons for immigration even during times of high unemployment. I applaud those who are willing to make huge life changes to try and improve their lot in life and those in their families, and think we can have a country where those folks who do so, as well as those who were already here, are given the tools and sufficient income needed to do it. But again, this is why data is important, because my "feels" on this don't really matter. Data does.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So extremely high minimum wage should be mandated to service very bad immigration decisions and policy?

WE know why one provincial party increased the minimum wage. Buying specious votes.

But its unjustified and not proportionally in line with other jobs and the hardships/risks/skill/responsibility in those jobs. Minimum wage is so high it reduces the ability to hire for more difficult positions.

Minimum wage has gone up disproportionately relative to other middle earner wages.
For someone reason during this Covid time I find myself agreeing with you more than ever.

I better go get tested, something might be wrong with me:laugh:

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Today was my first day back in the office (in New York for those of you who don't know) and let me tell you something, we're f***ed.
It was only a sparse amount of people in Manhattan relative to normal (still crowded relative to most places) and half the people weren't wearing masks talking with their buddies/significant other or on a cell spraying those droplets everywhere and some that had masks were walking around with them pulled down (what's the point of wearing one in a crowded environment if it's not on the face?). Even some people inside my building weren't wearing masks.

I just don't see how there won't be a huge 2nd wave when everything reopens and with the thousands and thousands of protesters crowding the streets, lots of people walking around as if coronavirus doesn't exist anymore. Sigh

Corona virus does not attack those with moral causes, everyone knows that.:D

Reactions: Dorian2

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I wouldn't call it gross, but the time we went when we were in Calgary, after hearing all the hoopla, it was pretty mediocre.
The worse thing I could have done is start making my own with my dad and freeze a bunch. Now everything taste mediocre.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
For some people who are still thinking the coronavirus is only as serious as the flu/cold virus and that it's no biggie to contract it, you never know if this will happen to you.... Doctors "don't understand" why some coronavirus "long-haulers" have symptoms for months

A recent Dutch study looked at about 1,600 people who reported coronavirus symptoms, 91% of whom were never hospitalized, and found that a vast majority said they continued to suffer health problems like extreme fatigue or shortness of breath nearly three months later.

"These people reported that they still had symptoms — shortness of breath, cough, headache, intermittent fevers, brain fog, trouble concentrating, chest pain, palpitations, things like that — that continued for months and months and months," Elfenbein said on CBSN Monday.

"The scary part about this is that when they looked at these people, 85% of them considered themselves healthy before this happened, and afterwards, only 6% reported they were healthy, so these are like everyday people that had no medical problems."
Almost half of the people in the study said they could no longer exercise and about 60% said they had difficulty walking, according to the group that commissioned the research.

Elfenbein said doctors don't know the answers to those questions yet and "the big problem" is they don't know how to treat the ongoing symptoms.

Scary... sounds almost like a viral equivalent of the bacterial lyme disease.

Reactions: Leo360

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
There are still a few places who can put out a good burger, but I agree, nothing is as good as the stuff we can dream up ourselves and throw on our own grills.

Best burger I ever had was at a hotel called Wilson's retreat on Gili Island in Indonesia. Second best burger I've had is at a chain restaurant in Brazil called Madero. Still haven't found a burger that I'm addicted to in Edmonton.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
For some people who are still thinking the coronavirus is only as serious as the flu/cold virus and that it's no biggie to contract it, you never know if this will happen to you.... Doctors "don't understand" why some coronavirus "long-haulers" have symptoms for months

A recent Dutch study looked at about 1,600 people who reported coronavirus symptoms, 91% of whom were never hospitalized, and found that a vast majority said they continued to suffer health problems like extreme fatigue or shortness of breath nearly three months later.

"These people reported that they still had symptoms — shortness of breath, cough, headache, intermittent fevers, brain fog, trouble concentrating, chest pain, palpitations, things like that — that continued for months and months and months," Elfenbein said on CBSN Monday.

"The scary part about this is that when they looked at these people, 85% of them considered themselves healthy before this happened, and afterwards, only 6% reported they were healthy, so these are like everyday people that had no medical problems."
Almost half of the people in the study said they could no longer exercise and about 60% said they had difficulty walking, according to the group that commissioned the research.

Elfenbein said doctors don't know the answers to those questions yet and "the big problem" is they don't know how to treat the ongoing symptoms.

Scary... sounds almost like a viral equivalent of the bacterial lyme disease.

I'm going to throw a slightly different perspective here. Most of those symptoms are related to other factors as well. Up to and including anxiety and disorders of that nature. I'm not in disagreement but it's plausible that other medical conditions can contribute.

Link is not site specific, just one of the ones that came up.

Anxiety Disorders | Lehigh Valley Health Network

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
I wouldn't call it gross, but the time we went when we were in Calgary, after hearing all the hoopla, it was pretty mediocre.
I would without a doubt call it gross. the same paper thin patties that they use at burger baron drowned in ketchup, Mccain frozen onion rings and fries. nasty all around. Those who enjoy Peters have impaired taste buds. The one in edmonton is just like having a little piece of calgary right in our back yard. Indigestion and the hersey squirts without the three hour drive.

McShogun99, Have you had a next act burger, They're awesome and the fries are done right too, properly blanched and double fried. Get the jalapeno garlic mayo to slather on the burger and dip the fries. Awesome. Beercade deserves honorable mention for their smash patty burgers (they have a monster triple with a truckload of bacon that is like a good version of a wendys baconator but crunchy crispy and on a really nice brioche bun) i hope they reopen but i think the phone is dico'd after corona. . the hat downtown used to be great back in the day but they are all burger from a box now and terrible. Caffreys in the park cranks out a pretty good house made patty too. get the creature and a side of garlic aolie

:shakehead

I love me some Peters Drive in. It is proven if you eat a Pete’s burger you can’t get Covid. :nod:
If Peters doesn't kill you the wuflu has no chance

Last edited:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
:shakehead

I love me some Peters Drive in. It is proven if you eat a Pete’s burger you can’t get Covid. :nod:
The placebo affect is powerful medicine. To bad the trump one was attacked so much. When I was a kid we used to stop at peters when we went to Calgary. I haven’t liked their burgers but I think it’s worth three or four studies to find out whether their milkshakes are a powerful covid fighter.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Do you have some Alberta/Edmonton specific reading I can do on how the minimum wage increases have actually hurt the food industry? I have heard lots of opinions on either side, but rarely see good data that supports either side. Gotta be tough to tease out what has been covid19, what has been regular market downturn, and what has been related to minimum wage increases.
You can check the ny numbers, they are quite pronounced.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
The best way to ensure everyone gets paid fairly would be to set the wages for what the role is actually worth, raise prices and eliminate tipping. It also gets rid of the tax evasion from cash-based tips.
When bureaucrats set prices the first commodity which gets a price are their favour.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->