Coronavirus XV: Keep Up the Good Work (no off-topic discussions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
My heart weeps for sure. I just hope racism dwindles in certain parts of the world.

If you can't tackle the most prevalent form of discrimination how are you going to tackle others?
You can still have compassion for others while acknowledging that racism is a major issue all over the world.
To claim that all other forms of discrimination should be ignored until racism is fixed is such a crappy thing to say. Be better man.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You can still have compassion for others while acknowledging that racism is a major issue all over the world.
To claim that all other forms of discrimination should be ignored until racism is fixed is such a crappy thing to say. Be better man.
I never said it should be ignored. I said that racism is still the strongest and most prevalent form of discrimination out there currently. Maybe I flew off the handle a bit but the issue right now, today, that people are protesting (and unfortunately rioting over) is systematic racism in the very force that's supposed to protect the common man. It's been a long time since I was in a senior's home but I remember my late grandmother getting excellent care in Leduc.

If you don't fix the worst kind of discrimination you think others are going to fade away? Hate doesn't die out, it spreads. Much the pandemic we are currently dealing with.

PerformanceMcOil

Aug 2, 2005
I did both. I guess its how you want to read it. It wasn't whatabboutism. its more why isn't anybody speaking about the ageism epidemic that is going on HERE in CANADA. I was triggered to write that due to an editorial article in the Journal, which I cited.

Caring is not universal in present day. Don't fool yourself. What we are seeing is mobilized, militant, activist care denoting what the focal points of concern are and standing up for those only. Telling us which disenfranchised we should care about. Unfortunately seniors and geriatrics aren't on that list. Seniors lives matter? Anybody?

I didn't say care is universal. I said it needed to be before any of it will truly be solved. The elderly problem is somewhat complicated, but it is mostly solvable - care centre's shouldn't be privatized and they should receive adequate funding. Also, there has certainly been attention given to what is happening to the care centre's during the epidemic. Personally, I doubt any real change will come, because, like the homeless problem, it is largely out of sight, out of mind. I hope I am wrong, but I fear the next election cycle there will dominated by calls to reduce debt, which will make solving this problem difficult.

Solving what is happening in the states is hard and also deserves attention (and reflection, since Canada is hardly perfect). The media attention is deserved, even if it is for the wrong reason.

Again though, solving one means solving the other - as a society, we need to care about each other and commit to leaving no one behind.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I don't think police officers are murdering seniors, at least not to my knowledge. If a senior was murdered like Mr. Floyd was, the offending officer's head would likely be on a pike.

Time to bring this guy back? :naughty:

0Wz6M5b.jpg

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Sure seems that way. AGEISM is demonstrably worse and theres been nothing like Covid-19 to demonstrate that. The Military report on the Care homes operating in Canada are devastating. Not just because of the untold tragedies, but that the old, the infirm, were provided a level of *care* that is sub to what animals might receive in a pound. Wheres the protests on the streets regarding the Millions of Seniors dying over the years through heinous level of attention?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-19-coronavirus-ontario-update-may-26-1.5584665#report

All deaths are tragic, all ism's are as well. But its interesting that one Racism death can illicit such response. 100K senior deaths elicit hardly any such response. just saying.

Which well is poisoned more? Seniors are so devalued in our society they are left to rot and die, usually sight unseen. Or when seen with all atrocity silenced, not responded to, not normally reported, not normally news. I'd rather be left stranded on an iceberg in bitter cold temperatures in subartic than have to experience what seniors have had to experience.

The common scene world over in hospitals is an outbreak of tiktok videos by healthcare staff many even mocking the sick and dying. Being allowed to do this in free democracy as the dying rot in their filth helpless, not getting the care after even fighting in the last WW for this society..

Ageism is the biggest atrocity here and its not even close in terms of casualties due to it. Many seniors are harmed even at the hands of their progeny who would rather have their inheritance, than parents or grandparents.

rant/done

But if any rant fully deserves to be here its whats gone on with seniors *care*. That's the elephant ism in the room.

Even in these threads theres been calls of "boomer cull".

Wheres the outcry over all that?

Braedley: Our long-term care system is failing because we're ageist | Ottawa Citizen

Unfortunately the senior population in Canada is rising incredibly fast, they already make up 15% of the population and as Boomers age out that’s expected to rise to 25% over the next decade or so. It’s probably also the most expensive segment of the population between pension, oas commitments and increased healthcare requirements and people are living longer and longer. On the other end of the spectrum the tax base is shrinking, there’s less Gen X’ers then Boomers and less Millenials/Gen Z then Gen X’ers. It’s not as easy to have a family these days as it was 40-60 years ago. Governments are already stretched thin as it is and Covid has only compounded those issues as well as exposing many societal issues including the negligence towards elderly. There’s also other contributing problems such as you mentioned the fact that it’s an undesirable job working with elderly people. They aren’t always easy to work with or care for, and generally these care workers are underpaid, overworked in an environment that can be mentally draining.

Realistically I don’t see it getting any better, the feds will make some token announcements, shift a few things around to make it seem like they are doing something but in the long run it will get swept under the rug.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I don't know man. I see some posters who are waving their hands about ageism while shitting all over the Millenials and younger generations through the other side of their mouths. Buncha BS.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I didn't say care is universal. I said it needed to be before any of it will truly be solved. The elderly problem is somewhat complicated, but it is mostly solvable - care centre's shouldn't be privatized and they should receive adequate funding. Also, there has certainly been attention given to what is happening to the care centre's during the epidemic. Personally, I doubt any real change will come, because, like the homeless problem, it is largely out of sight, out of mind. I hope I am wrong, but I fear the next election cycle there will dominated by calls to reduce debt, which will make solving this problem difficult.

Solving what is happening in the states is hard and also deserves attention (and reflection, since Canada is hardly perfect). The media attention is deserved, even if it is for the wrong reason.

Again though, solving one means solving the other - as a society, we need to care about each other and commit to leaving no one behind.
Time to increase the retirement age 5 years, good idea!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Of course its much more complicated than that and that discrimination, racism, polarization, counter racism exist. The other poster had no difficulty chiding me with "old man" has said a lot worse, and has used the term "Karen" several times here referring to WHITE women. THAT poster is on a soapbox today complaining about racism, which is too beyond the pale for me to fully ignore.

This is an interesting situation to illustrate.

Outrage erupts over ‘Karen’ who called cops on Black birdwatcher in Central Park

Now I am entirely sympathetic with the man being interviewed. The actions and statements of the Canadian woman are reprehensible. But those of the mans sister, calling the woman a Karen (white privileged female) are problematic as well. By all means if taking a high road, than take the high road, don't further prejudice on all sides.

Now heres something that is also illustrative. 30M have watched the video posted. Millions have chided this "Karen" countless people have threatened her online. She's lost her job, income. But it wasn't the only racism on display in the reviews of the incident.

That 30M have been activism inclined to even view such a video, that thousands in the US are rioting about a death, its also making a point about the degree of militant activism that is in the background and foreground causing these fevered reactions. As with all things mob related its very dangerous. More deaths occur due to rioting than the original heinous death. But the activists want to inflame, they want militancy, they want force, they don't want calm, and they don't want peace. They don't actually want peace. That is another problem.

This is the problem with the brand activism we are seeing that is flaming fires. Lest we might forget;

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/black-lives-matter-controversial-tweet-1.3523055

On Feb. 9, Yusra Khogali tweeted, "Plz Allah give me strength to not cuss/kill these men and white folks out here today. Plz plz plz,"

That doesn't look like a live in harmony and peace brand to me. It looks like something that furthers strife and harm.

I like this brand more;
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.”

- Martin Luther King

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Unfortunately the senior population in Canada is rising incredibly fast, they already make up 15% of the population and as Boomers age out that’s expected to rise to 25% over the next decade or so. It’s probably also the most expensive segment of the population between pension, oas commitments and increased healthcare requirements and people are living longer and longer. On the other end of the spectrum the tax base is shrinking, there’s less Gen X’ers then Boomers and less Millenials/Gen Z then Gen X’ers. It’s not as easy to have a family these days as it was 40-60 years ago. Governments are already stretched thin as it is and Covid has only compounded those issues as well as exposing many societal issues including the negligence towards elderly. There’s also other contributing problems such as you mentioned the fact that it’s an undesirable job working with elderly people. They aren’t always easy to work with or care for, and generally these care workers are underpaid, overworked in an environment that can be mentally draining.

Realistically I don’t see it getting any better, the feds will make some token announcements, shift a few things around to make it seem like they are doing something but in the long run it will get swept under the rug.

I do thank you for the reasonable response.

Well how much taxes, federal, provincial, municipal have those seniors paid out in a lifetime? how many jobs have they created for themselves and others. How many fought for this country so that we even have it today? just saying.

OAS, Pension, etc, are provided guarantees. CPP particularly being a paid fund. That those seniors already paid for. Maybe if mismanagement of funds and debt expenditures weren't so rampant there would be ample money to meet the guaranteed commitments.

Reactions: oilers'72

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I do thank you for the reasonable response.

Well how much taxes, federal, provincial, municipal have those seniors paid out in a lifetime? how many jobs have they created for themselves and others. How many fought for this country so that we even have it today? just saying.

OAS, Pension, etc, are provided guarantees. CPP particularly being a paid fund. That those seniors already paid for. Maybe if mismanagement of funds and debt expenditures weren't so rampant there would be ample money to meet the guaranteed commitments.

Well it wasn’t younger generations mismanaging those funds and creating the environment we have now. Younger people are already getting screwed and it seems the burden to solve all these problems created by previous generations neglect now falls on them.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
2020 is becoming the most important year of the century so far. Between COVID, George Floyd and China/Hong Kong/USA, man...

It's Y2K 20 years later. All those apocalypse conspiracy theories back in late 1999 and now we're living the real thing 20 years later, the collapse of society unfolding in front of our eyes.

As far as the Floyd situation is concerned, the riots are just as despicable as the Floyd murder itself yet you have some people saying that they don't condone the actions of the rioters but they understand where they're coming from. Screw that, these people aren't protesting racial injustice, they're animals who are looking for any excuse to quench their violence thirst. They're making a mockery of the whole purpose of these protests. Just more needless violence to counter needless violence.
Even here in NYC, there were violent "protests" going on with turning over cop cars and burning one as my firefighter friend showed us on our Zoom call last night.

It's unreal that during times of a pandemic that the pandemic itself isn't the main headline in the U.S. I'm ashamed of my country on so many levels.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well it wasn’t younger generations mismanaging those funds and creating the environment we have now. Younger people are already getting screwed and it seems the burden to solve all these problems created by previous generations neglect now falls on them.

I'm sympathetic. Particularly in view of what say living costs are today and mostly due to cost of housing. But segments of the population have voted for the parties in power and are responsible for who is in power, as happens with democracy. Older people are more right inclined. Younger people more left inclined. A lot of tomorrows services are being spent today. For instance on covid cheques by a govt that was inept in the handling of this pandemic. In a sense were all paying.

But understand as well that the seniors dying today were born in the 20's 30's, 40's and inherited a lot worse shit than being doled out now. Those people, particularly that have been around a century, have truly seen the worst humanity is capable of. They inherited that. Generally the last 100 years of those people made the world a much better place than it was formerly. Could be said.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
There's clearly something poisoning that well. There needs to be a systematic overhaul. Can't understand how mass shooters walk out and African Americans getting kneeled on and choked out for what are probably D felonies?

Racism is a problem here too but if you're racist you're going to feel the wrath of the rest of the country.

Mass shooters don't walk out, they usually don't survive the mass shooting at their own hands.
With that said, there's no doubt that the system is broken in the U.S.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's Y2K 20 years later. All those apocalypse conspiracy theories back in late 1999 and now we're living the real thing 20 years later, the collapse of society unfolding in front of our eyes.

As far as the Floyd situation is concerned, the riots are just as despicable as the Floyd murder itself yet you have some people saying that they don't condone the actions of the rioters but they understand where they're coming from. Screw that, these people aren't protesting racial injustice, they're animals who are looking for any excuse to quench their violence thirst. They're making a mockery of the whole purpose of these protests. Just more needless violence to counter needless violence.
Even here in NYC, there were violent "protests" going on with turning over cop cars and burning one as my firefighter friend showed us on our Zoom call last night.

It's unreal that during times of a pandemic that the pandemic itself isn't the main headline in the U.S. I'm ashamed of my country on so many levels.

Amen man. Pretty well stated.

Its what I'm trying to touch on is that the brand activism currently going on is a worse cure than the disease.

we could use another MLK instead. Lest we forget, again:

Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.”

- Martin Luther King

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Amen man. Pretty well stated.

Its what I'm trying to touch on is that the brand activism currently going on is a worse cure than the disease.

we could use another MLK instead. Lest we forget, again:

- Martin Luther King

And amen to the bolded. MLK would be ashamed of these actions, essentially defying everything he stood for.

FWIW, there are many peaceful protests going on. People that actually stand for something and let their voices be heard instead of their fists.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Well, there's only one option I guess: Increase fees at the seniors' homes to provide a higher standard of care and limit the profit for the companies that run them.
Hearing from some politicians (NDP guy, Singh) the Covid crisis (specifically in the nursing homes) will lead to all homes being government ran. They would become an extension of our healthcare system. We currently classify the people in care as “residents”, but considering their multiple medical issues, and obvious fragility, they should (perhaps?) be better classified as “patients”.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
And amen to the bolded. MLK would be ashamed of these actions, essentially defying everything he stood for.

Its so sad how race relations are being rewritten since. MLK accomplished more than these people are accomplishing and have him to thank for that, while forgetting everything he stood for.

I'll look for inspiration from Gandhi from MLK, not the ones that want rioting, strife, killing, on all sides.

I'm spiritual, not religious, but anyway... "Forgive them lord for they know not what they do"

Maybe one day they will again.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Its so sad how race relations are being rewritten since. MLK accomplished more than these people are accomplishing and have him to thank for that, while forgetting everything he stood for.

I'll look for inspiration from Gandhi from MLK, not the ones that want rioting, strife, killing, on all sides.

I'm spiritual, not religious, but anyway... "Forgive them lord for they know not what they do"

Maybe one day they will again.

Without getting too political, society is a function of the divisiveness created by the leaders of this country. This is the most divided and chaotic the U.S. has been in my lifetime and it's not due to the pandemic. Sadly, I don't know how it gets fixed either.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Without getting too political, society is a function of the divisiveness created by the leaders of this country. This is the most divided and chaotic the U.S. has been in my lifetime and it's not due to the pandemic. Sadly, I don't know how it gets fixed either.

The divisiveness you see is borne of the internet, social media, and all of us succumbing, and you and I. Because this is the new learned normal in social exchange. I'll bang this drum all the time but Marshall McLuhan famously alerted that the Medium is the message over half century ago. We didn't listen to that either. We're divided countries largely because of the internet, because of social media, because of twitter and facebook accounts of reality and non stop sparring. These medium teach us all to fight, go off on each other, its what the mediums are about. The Politics and shifts and upheavals we see is a symptom of that discontent. The sad reality is that flaming gets the votes, gets the actions, gets the hits, gets the views. The mediums select for that.

The internet was supposed to bring about light, knowledge, wisdom, future. Has it achieved that? Theres a key in what I noted earlier. 30M people watched a Central park video about a dog walker. Because we're societally groomed, mobilized to do that and conditioned to recoil with horror, hate, dismissiveness etc. We all do it, include myself in that. But its how we're being shaped by the mediums in use, which are extremely divisive and designed to shock us into submission every day.

But I'm a stubborn sort..;)

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
The divisiveness you see is borne of the internet, social media, and all of us succumbing, and you and I. Because this is the new learned normal in social exchange. I'll bang this drum all the time but Marshall McLuhan famously alerted that the Medium is the message over half century ago. We didn't listen to that either. We're divided countries largely because of the internet, because of social media, because of twitter and facebook accounts of reality and non stop sparring. These medium teach us all to fight, go off on each other, its what the mediums are about. The Politics and shifts and upheavals we see is a symptom of that discontent. The sad reality is that flaming gets the votes, gets the actions, gets the hits, gets the views. The mediums select for that.

The internet was supposed to bring about light, knowledge, wisdom, future. Has it achieved that? Theres a key in what I noted earlier. 30M people watched a Central park video about a dog walker. Because we're societally groomed, mobilized to do that and conditioned to recoil with horror, hate, dismissiveness etc. We all do it, include myself in that. But its how we're being shaped by the mediums in use, which are extremely divisive and designed to shock us into submission every day.

But I'm a stubborn sort..;)
The internet exposes events such as the George Floyd incident which may have otherwise never seen the light of day. This is not a single isolated incident either, you can easily find hundreds of videos of police brutality, citizens being pricks to each other, evidence for crimes, etc.

With regards to the protests, America was built on protests. I'm not a fan of violence and destruction, but when an oppressed group of people reach a boiling point, riots are nearly inevitable. See the Boston Tea Party, 1992 LA Riots, Ferguson, Hong Kong protests, France protests, etc.. Even MLK, a peaceful activist was assassinated.

I'm a big proponent of the internet, and our generational differences will probably lead to us disagreeing on its uses and importance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad