Coronavirus XV: Keep Up the Good Work (no off-topic discussions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
There are Ed Hardy and Affection style masks out there with the skulls and such.

They can say they’re cosplaying for Call of Duty or something, I’d suggest leaving the plastic guns at home though unless they want to end up like that girl that dressed up as a stormtrooper May 4th :sarcasm:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I don't exactly blame them as there has already been talks about players wanting leagues to be liable for years

I believe that was an early sticking point with the NHL and the NHLPA. I'd guess the ability for players to opt out of playing was the compromise the parties arrived at.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
When said leadership is actively encouraging the protests and downplaying the threat the virus poses, I think it's completely fair to criticize them.

Hinshaw come out said protesting is a critical freedom. I guess that would be actively encouraging protests.

"The freedom to protest is a critical one, and preventing the spread of COVID-19 is also critical," she said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
A thread by Dr. Deena Hinshaw

Here is a summary thread of today’s #COVID19AB update.

6,862 Albertans have recovered leaving 440 active cases. 31 people are hospitalized with 7 in ICUs. There are 20 new cases out of 3,462 tests. We’ve now surpassed 343,000 tests. (1/9)

I must report 1 additional death, bringing our total lives lost to 151. My condolences go out to the family and friends of this individual, and to all those who have lost loved ones during this time. (2/9)

Alberta continues to test more broadly than any jurisdiction in Canada, and we are responding swiftly every time a new case is identified – I want to recognize the many public health officials who work around the clock to support our COVID-19 response. (3/9)

Thank you for respecting gathering limits, maintaining 2m distance, wearing masks when you couldn’t, practicing good hygiene & staying home if you were sick this weekend. Please continue to follow all public health orders & guidance so we can continue moving forward. (4/9)

As Albertans go out more, we can expect some increases in cases. To help prevent local outbreaks & help you make informed decisions, our relaunch map shows active case rates – if a muni has 50 cases per 100K w/at least 10 active cases we move it into the “watch” category. (5/9)

This means we will work with public health & municipal officials to see if we need to implement additional measures. There are currently 2 munis in this category, but no additional measures are needed at this time. We do continue to monitor closely. (6/9)

We have 167 active cases in Edmonton, 2/3 are linked to close contact with a case or outbreak. We’re seeing transmission at social events where people are not keeping 2m apart or wearing masks at high-risk activities, not from casual contact or public places at this point. (7/9)

The success of our relaunch is anchored in all of us doing our part. It is important anyone with symptoms or who has known exposure to COVID-19 goes for testing. You can book online. If you have a disability that might make it difficult to go for testing, call 811. (8/9)

11,341 asymptomatic people were tested last week and we identified 4 COVID-19 cases. 41/300 asymptomatic contacts of confirmed cases tested positive. This highlights why it's critical for close contacts to get tested & self-isolate for 14 days even if they're feeling well. (9/9)

Reactions: Dorian2 and oobga

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
A thread by Dr. Deena Hinshaw

Here is a summary thread of today’s #COVID19AB update.

6,862 Albertans have recovered leaving 440 active cases. 31 people are hospitalized with 7 in ICUs. There are 20 new cases out of 3,462 tests. We’ve now surpassed 343,000 tests. (1/9)

I must report 1 additional death, bringing our total lives lost to 151. My condolences go out to the family and friends of this individual, and to all those who have lost loved ones during this time. (2/9)

Alberta continues to test more broadly than any jurisdiction in Canada, and we are responding swiftly every time a new case is identified – I want to recognize the many public health officials who work around the clock to support our COVID-19 response. (3/9)

Thank you for respecting gathering limits, maintaining 2m distance, wearing masks when you couldn’t, practicing good hygiene & staying home if you were sick this weekend. Please continue to follow all public health orders & guidance so we can continue moving forward. (4/9)

As Albertans go out more, we can expect some increases in cases. To help prevent local outbreaks & help you make informed decisions, our relaunch map shows active case rates – if a muni has 50 cases per 100K w/at least 10 active cases we move it into the “watch” category. (5/9)

This means we will work with public health & municipal officials to see if we need to implement additional measures. There are currently 2 munis in this category, but no additional measures are needed at this time. We do continue to monitor closely. (6/9)

We have 167 active cases in Edmonton, 2/3 are linked to close contact with a case or outbreak. We’re seeing transmission at social events where people are not keeping 2m apart or wearing masks at high-risk activities, not from casual contact or public places at this point. (7/9)

The success of our relaunch is anchored in all of us doing our part. It is important anyone with symptoms or who has known exposure to COVID-19 goes for testing. You can book online. If you have a disability that might make it difficult to go for testing, call 811. (8/9)

11,341 asymptomatic people were tested last week and we identified 4 COVID-19 cases. 41/300 asymptomatic contacts of confirmed cases tested positive. This highlights why it's critical for close contacts to get tested & self-isolate for 14 days even if they're feeling well. (9/9)

Good to see testing of asymptomatic people, and basically anyone with close contact to a case is in full swing. Definitely a huge part of stopping spread and avoiding having to roll back openings.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Trump on coronavirus: 'If we stop testing right now, we'd have very few cases, if any'

You can't have COVID if you don't test for it.

MDJ_big_brain_alien_thumb.jpg

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Seems the viral load part of the COVID-19 equation is becoming better understood. Basically, in your multi-day incubation period, the more virus you are in contact with, the more likely you will end up with a severe infection. If, in your time of first exposure to when your body is finally fighting the virus off, if you came in contact with only a bit of the virus, say only came across 1 person, your chances of a quick recovery are far greater.

Seems like common sense, but different viruses act different ways in the body depending on the load, and COVID-19 may be a virus where that is a major factor. Hence how you can get a crazy run of deaths like in Italy or new york where people were probably coming across dozens of other infected people before they finally realized they were sick with symptoms.

Not the easiest concept to explain to the masses I guess, and probably need to be better quantified, but if this is indeed how this virus works, it lends some validity to the distancing measures and in general the attempts to flatten the curve. A slower spread can mean a significantly lower chance of serious infections as well among people that still end up getting it.

Reactions: HK97 and Drivesaitl

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
Seems the viral load part of the COVID-19 equation is becoming better understood. Basically, in your multi-day incubation period, the more virus you are in contact with, the more likely you will end up with a severe infection. If, in your time of first exposure to when your body is finally fighting the virus off, if you came in contact with only a bit of the virus, say only came across 1 person, your chances of a quick recovery are far greater.

Seems like common sense, but different viruses act different ways in the body depending on the load, and COVID-19 may be a virus where that is a major factor. Hence how you can get a crazy run of deaths like in Italy or new york where people were probably coming across dozens of other infected people before they finally realized they were sick with symptoms.

Not the easiest concept to explain to the masses I guess, and probably need to be better quantified, but if this is indeed how this virus works, it lends some validity to the distancing measures and in general the attempts to flatten the curve. A slower spread can mean a significantly lower chance of serious infections as well among people that still end up getting it.
Thats interesting. A couple of things :
1) Its that how other viruses work? Any? Ive never heard of that.
2) where you get this "theory" (for lack of a better word) from?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Thats interesting. A couple of things :
1) Its that how other viruses work? Any? Ive never heard of that.
2) where you get this "theory" (for lack of a better word) from?

I think the flu acts in a similar way, luckily we have vaccines that really limit how many people you can come across with a flu. And I guess it differs by strain. H1N1 was not nearly as deadly as the spanish flu was. It infected tens of millions in the USA with only ~12.5k deaths at the end. Some viruses, if you get any of it at all, you're pretty screwed and are gonna have a bad time :) Most of those though, we have vaccines for. Others, like AIDS, lifestyle choices and where you live help you avoid.

I think questions about the viral loading effect of COVID-19 were looked at from the start of all this, for example: https://www.hpnonline.com/infection...v2-viral-load-and-severity-of-covid19-studied

Something more recent now that we have seen this virus move through various populations and situations: Is the New Coronavirus Getting Weaker? What to Know

I think the current explosion of cases/deaths in brazil goes against the theory that just heat and weather make it go away. It does however lend more support to the idea of the initial viral load playing a big factor in your odds of getting a serious infection. Brazil is seeing a lot of <60 people dying from COVID-19 as well unfortunately. Think ~30% of Brazil's deaths are people <60.

Last edited:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
We just need to keep lockdowns in perspective. Need to protect vulnerable populations and keep the curve flat. If you find you are taking “chances” use the app.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
We just need to keep lockdowns in perspective. Need to protect vulnerable populations and keep the curve flat. If you find you are taking “chances” use the app.

The contact tracing app?

Last I read there were only 140,000 downloads. That's about 3% of the population.

The app has some glitches. Nobody is going to bother to make sure they switch back to the app after every text.

Between the lack of acceptance, technical issues and legitimate privacy concerns it is no wonder the app has essentially been a failure.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Maybe he’s saying the populations getting the disease are Robust enough not to have bad symptoms?

There is no age or health demographic "robust" enough to avoid "bad" symptoms. Asymptomatic infection is rare and a majority of people who develop symptoms will develop awful illness. A quarter of people in the 40 year old range will need to spend significant time in hospital. Others have described it as having razor blades in your lungs.

The contact tracing app?

Last I read there were only 140,000 downloads. That's about 3% of the population.

The app has some glitches. Nobody is going to bother to make sure they switch back to the app after every text.

Between the lack of acceptance, technical issues and legitimate privacy concerns it is no wonder the app has essentially been a failure.

I can only speak to my experience with the app, but I've never had to "switch back after every text". It just runs in the background constantly and is in my activity bar at all times.

Last edited:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I can only speak to my experience with the app

Since you can only speak for yourself I took the time to look it up. That way I am providing more than just anecdotal evidence.

According to the government of Alberta, due to Apple’s bluetooth functionality restrictions, the TraceTogether app cannot operate in the background of iOS devices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->