Coronavirus XV: Keep Up the Good Work (no off-topic discussions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
That was what I was thinking.

One of the demographics with the highest rate of Covid fatalities (outside of seniors) is out protesting in a country where rates are still rising.

This isn't going to end well.

That cops actions could basically be the catalyst to covid19s 2nd wave what WWI Victory parades were to the Spanish Flus 2nd wave.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
2020 is becoming the most important year of the century so far. Between COVID, George Floyd and China/Hong Kong/USA, man...

Reactions: uncleben

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
That cops actions could basically be the catalyst to covid19s 2nd wave what WWI Victory parades were to the Spanish Flus 2nd wave.
It’s incredibly sad that racism is so prevalent in America. There have been multiple instances of these types of cases over the past few years, I hope these police offers see an appropriate punishment for their actions.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
The unfortunate thing is that COVID is hanging over all of this, so any activity or event that we would typically classify as monumental or historic has a chance to have COVID outbreaks as an after-effect...

Yup. I fear that March/April are going to seem like the good old days in a month or so for our friends down south.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It’s incredibly sad that racism is so prevalent in America. There have been multiple instances of these types of cases over the past few years, I hope these police offers see an appropriate punishment for their actions.

Racism plagues Canada (and the word) as well, however it is definitely on steroids in the US when it comes to some cops treatment of African Americans and racism in the south. All of them should face severe penalties for this incident, part of the issue IMO is an us vs. them mentality, the boys in blue protect their own no matter what. That has to change.

Reactions: nabob

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Racism plagues Canada (and the word) as well, however it is definitely on steroids in the US when it comes to some cops treatment of African Americans and racism in the south. All of them should face severe penalties for this incident, part of the issue IMO is an us vs. them mentality, the boys in blue protect their own no matter what. That has to change.
There's clearly something poisoning that well. There needs to be a systematic overhaul. Can't understand how mass shooters walk out and African Americans getting kneeled on and choked out for what are probably D felonies?

Racism is a problem here too but if you're racist you're going to feel the wrath of the rest of the country.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
There's clearly something poisoning that well. There needs to be a systematic overhaul. Can't understand how mass shooters walk out and African Americans getting kneeled on and choked out for what are probably D felonies?

Racism is a problem here too but if you're racist you're going to feel the wrath of the rest of the country.
Canada treats blacks much better systemically.

We educate and give healthcare to them. We don't throw them in ghettos, or mass incarcerate them.

For the most part they are just as educated and affluent as nearly any other ethnic group.

Here in Canada we treat our natives like shit, don't educate them, throw them in ghettos, mass incarcerate, while allowing them do die from substance abuse.

Reactions: Dorian2

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT

Sad part is that 98 to 99% of people in the states are good people who are not racist at all. But 2% of the American population equals to 6 to 8 million people and they ruin so many attempts at coming together for reconciliation.

I can't comprehend the pain the friends and family of that man in Minneapolis are attempting to deal with. They lost someone in such a tragic way and he was made to suffer through it all by 4 or 5 men who were trained to do better, and they were sworn in with their left hands in the air, with their right hands over a motherf***ing bible to serve and protect. Those police officers didn't just break that oath, they chewed it up and spat it out and they need the full book of the law thrown at them.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Sad part is that 98 to 99% of people in the states are good people who are not racist at all.
Not a chance that is true. There is no country in the world that has only 1-2% racists.

Personally I don’t think the US is any better or worse than other western democracies when it comes to racism. What I do know for sure is that western democracies are light years ahead of every other place on the planet. Even at that I think 1-2% is not even close to the reality.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

It's even worse for Mexicans in the states but not covered as much.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Not a chance that is true. There is no country in the world that has only 1-2% racists.

Personally I don’t think the US is any better or worse than other western democracies when it comes to racism. What I do know for sure is that western democracies are light years ahead of every other place on the planet. Even at that I think 1-2% is not even close to the reality.
Think he just means that when the population as a whole is so huge it only takes a very small percentage of openly racist and hateful people to add up to a very large number.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

I completely agree on western democracies. Canadians have this weird attitude how we are better than Americans and on race relations I don't know if this high-mindedness is justified. I have lived in most major Canadian cities and been to the rest. In my experience racial tensions are little more in your face in the U.S. but having lived in Japan for four years there is just as much racial animosity, if not more.

I lived in the US for grad school. I lived in Washington, DC. The racial tension there was of a different kind then what you see on the news. I lived in a weird 'transition' neighbourhood which was three block wide strip between a pretty nice neighbourhood and a pretty rough neighbourhood. My roommates wouldn't go to the unSafeway because it was in the wrong neighbourhood.

I only ever had two racial incidents in the 18 months I lived there. One incident was these two black kid who looked like they were 12 and tried to hold me up outside the subway station by my house. It was pretty surreal when I heard them, although they sounded young. I turned around and they were wearing nylons over their heads. The ring leader clearly had his finger in his shirt. I looked at them for a second. Said no, turned around and kept on walking. They shouted after me but didn't do anything else. They may have targeted me racially. The yelled racial slurs when I walked away. It was just a sad incident that kids that young felt they had to steal.

The other was at the unSafeway. I went there a couple times a week and was friendly to all the cashiers. I couldn't see what was going on but the black cashier got into it with a white customer a couple people in front of me. The cashier talked to the customer in front of me (she was also black) and the cashier seemed to calm down. When I got to the till he was pissed off and angry. Sigh. The guy had served me within the previous week and it was a perfectly normal and civil interaction.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Shocking. Hopefully he's not a superspreader.

Hopefully anyone who gets infected is under 60 and otherwise healthy. Then, science has proven, they are highly unlikely to suffer serious symptoms any worse than a seasonal influenza.
In Quebec, their health authority announced anyone under 70 as the age.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Bad in China too.
How foreigners, especially black people, became unwelcome in parts of China amid COVID crisis
Covid could be the catalyst for terrible world violence.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Masks being distributed in Early June at McD, Tim Hortons, and A & W Drive thru establishments. Free of charge. Pack of 4/ person per visit. No purchase necessary.

Alberta to distribute 20 million face masks at A&W, McDonald's and Tim Hortons drive-thrus
I think you Albertan’s are doing better, when it cones to wearing masks, than us in the GVRD. Anecdotally, in stores here it’s not even 10% of customers wearing masks. And of those wearing masks, it’s mostly the elderly. The younger people (under 40) don’t appear to wear them at all.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Sure seems that way. AGEISM is demonstrably worse and theres been nothing like Covid-19 to demonstrate that. The Military report on the Care homes operating in Canada are devastating. Not just because of the untold tragedies, but that the old, the infirm, were provided a level of *care* that is sub to what animals might receive in a pound. Wheres the protests on the streets regarding the Millions of Seniors dying over the years through heinous level of attention?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-19-coronavirus-ontario-update-may-26-1.5584665#report

All deaths are tragic, all ism's are as well. But its interesting that one Racism death can illicit such response. 100K senior deaths elicit hardly any such response. just saying.

Which well is poisoned more? Seniors are so devalued in our society they are left to rot and die, usually sight unseen. Or when seen with all atrocity silenced, not responded to, not normally reported, not normally news. I'd rather be left stranded on an iceberg in bitter cold temperatures in subartic than have to experience what seniors have had to experience.

The common scene world over in hospitals is an outbreak of tiktok videos by healthcare staff many even mocking the sick and dying. Being allowed to do this in free democracy as the dying rot in their filth helpless, not getting the care after even fighting in the last WW for this society..

Ageism is the biggest atrocity here and its not even close in terms of casualties due to it. Many seniors are harmed even at the hands of their progeny who would rather have their inheritance, than parents or grandparents.

rant/done

But if any rant fully deserves to be here its whats gone on with seniors *care*. That's the elephant ism in the room.

Even in these threads theres been calls of "boomer cull".

Wheres the outcry over all that?

Braedley: Our long-term care system is failing because we're ageist | Ottawa Citizen

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad