Coronavirus XV: Keep Up the Good Work (no off-topic discussions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The fear is that places like Western Canada and Hawaii which havent been hit badly as of this point may let their guards down and then all hell breaks loose. Hopefully if people continue practicing good hygiene habits it will keep the numbers down.
The way we are in Edmonton right now I can't really be bothered to wear a mask. Seems like a lot of people have learned how to wash their hands now and how to sneeze/cough.

Now if borders open up I might change my mind, but I'll worry about that when it happens.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The way we are in Edmonton right now I can't really be bothered to wear a mask. Seems like a lot of people have learned how to wash their hands now and how to sneeze/cough.

Now if borders open up I might change my mind, but I'll worry about that when it happens.
Doctor Tam and our government officials have been saying the mask isn’t to protect the person wearing it, but those around them.
But now we get this video from the WHO saying only those who are ill, or caring for the ill need to wear them.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Not Canada related obviously but the amount of foreclosures and bankruptcies in the US could be massive down the line due to this virus and the actions taken to limit its spread.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Doctor Tam and our government officials have been saying the mask isn’t to protect the person wearing it, but those around them.
But now we get this video from the WHO saying only those who are ill, or caring for the ill need to wear them.

I guess they arent worried about asymptomatic spread anymore?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

To each their own. The big issue with this damn thing is the lengthy incubation period. So everything might look great now but a week or two out it could go to shit.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Absolutely. Guy should be in jail for sure. Or, is there some Covid 19 scare keeping certain criminals out of jails, and under (some sort of) house arrest?
Are you suggesting that "the COVID scare is being perpetuated to keep certain criminals out of jails"?

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Are you suggesting that the (media hyped) COVID scare is being perpetuated to keep certain criminals out of jails?

Here in Hawaii they released criminals and I am pretty damn sure that they arent making as many arrests as they normally would so that the jails dont get overcrowded. Hopefully that changes as adding more criminals to the streets in these times is hardly a good idea. They should be treating the prisons like nursing homes IMO.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Here, on the left coast, restaurants and pubs can (again) seat patrons for food/drink service. But the restaurant/pub is ordered to collect and keep the personal information of their customers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The rest should follow suit. Set an example that being inactive won't be tolerated either.

I accept this is off topic. I saw a video of the store owner, who’s brother was the one who phoned the police because of a fake 20 dollar bill. He said his brother, after seeing the brutality, stepped in and tried to stop the police from being so stupid. Clearly the police didn’t care to listen. You’re 100% correct. All the officers at the scene should be charged as complicit. It’s their bloody job to protect people!

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Unintentional consequences [to saying only sick people need masks]. It’s a bad idea [because they can be targetted]. These are the things that happen when storys changes. Ie story goes from asymptomatic spread is happening to not happening.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Unintentional consequences are like that. It’s a bad idea and I pointed out why. These are the things that happen when storys changes. Ie story goes from asymptomatic spread is happening to not happening.
and changing government direction on masks for the general public: first masks are not needed, then they are needed, and now the WHO says they aren’t needed. (IMO, under the right circumstances, masks are needed (to protect others) but this government misdirection creates confusion. And, as we are seeing in some places, anger and violence.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-store-beating-masks-1.5586457

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
COVID-19 Alberta statistics

Since May 10th, this website has not changed the total number of active cases in the Castle Downs and St. Albert area; the former has remained at 6 active cases, and the latter with 1 active case. The number of active cases have been stagnet for 19 days. I can't speak for the rest of the areas, but I wonder if these are an anomaly or there is an error with the website.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
A thread by Dr. Deena Hinshaw

Here is a summary thread of today’s #COVID19AB update.
6,220 Albertans have recovered leaving 616 active cases. Currently, 55 people are hospitalized with 4 people in ICUs. There were 24 new cases out of 3,754 new tests in the last 24 hours. (1/10)

I am pleased to say that there are no new deaths today & in today’s outbreak web posting, several outbreaks have now ended. This includes Horizon work camp and Manoir du Lac. (2/10)

We have now surpassed 250,000 COVID tests in Alberta. This is a remarkable achievement & testament to the tireless efforts of our public health system - from our lab technicians & contact tracers to public health nurses & those working at assessment centres. (3/10)

As we re-open, we must continue to prioritize the health of our most vulnerable community members. That includes Calgary and Brooks. I want to thank Albertans in these 2 cities for their patience as we took a measured, phased approach to the first stage of their relaunch. (4/10)

Taking this extra time allowed us to monitor any spread from opening businesses & other stage one activities. I would like to congratulate residents on the downward trend in #s. Thanks to these numbers, the final stage of phase one will begin in these cities on Monday. (5/10)

This means day camps, summer schools & places of worship may open with precautions. Everyone must help prevent the risk of transmission among staff, volunteers & members of the public who enter these spaces. Expanded guidance is available on . (6/10) (alberta.ca/biz-connect)

I also committed to posting guidance for organized outdoor sports & recreation. I know many people are eager to get outside with their teammates, but organized sports events, games & leagues present a high risk of transmission & are not yet permitted. (7/10)

Non-contact, outdoor activities (like running) can proceed with measures in place to limit the risk of transmission. Activities like soccer or martial arts are not permitted unless organizers can limit activities to meet health orders & physical distancing requirements. (8/10)

If you are looking to plan outdoor sports or other physical activities, please refer to the guidance posted online at . (9/10) (bit.ly/36GFzQN)

Albertans have done a tremendous job pulling together, supporting each other and protecting each other by following public health orders. It is important we all continue to do our part by looking out for each other as we open activities back up. (10/10)

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
A thread by Dr. Deena Hinshaw

Effective immediately, we are expanding testing to include anyone in Alberta, whether they have #COVID19AB symptoms or not.

Everyone who wants a test will be tested but please remember that priority will be given to symptomatic individuals & contacts of confirmed cases. (1/3)

Expanded testing will help to further understand the impacts of COVID-19 before moving to stage two of Alberta’s relaunch strategy. It will also help us understand where there might be undetected positive cases & prevent further spread of the virus. (2/3)

Please book your appointment for testing by completing the online assessment tool. Please be patient as Alberta Health Services implements province wide asymptomatic testing. To book your test, visit: (3/3) (bit.ly/2xTTaHj)

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

I still wear a mask when I go shopping, so like twice a week. Likely still in the infancy of this virus, so don't mind the very minor inconvenience, and if by chance I have the virus, it might help to not infect someone else. Was at Costco today, and their policy towards masks changed this week, as they now recommend all customers wear masks. They were handing them out at the door. I'd say 80% of the people in the store today when I was there had a mask on. Hopefully when people get used to wearing one for an hour here or there, they'll get comfortable with them on, and will continue wearing them in stores, etc for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Luckylarry
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->