Coronavirus in Football

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

They should offer bracelet to these people.

Don't tell them the purpose, just tell them it's to show your support to freedom.

Then tell medical officers that people with a bracelet should not be treated as they have selfishly favored their own freedom over their life and the life of others.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
They should offer bracelet to these people.

Don't tell them the purpose, just tell them it's to show your support to freedom.

Then tell medical officers that people with a bracelet should not be treated as they have selfishly favored their own freedom over their life and the life of others.

Yes this is a great response lol

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If you're looking for positives something to note about the virus, and something I think most people speculated, is that as the testing is becoming more widespread the percentage of cases that are considered serious or critical has dramatically decreased. It was over 10% a few weeks ago and now it's sitting at 4% (and continuing to drop). Only a fraction of those will be fatalities, as well, and still don't account for probably a lot more cases where testing simply isn't available or considered a priority. Very much a tip of the iceberg situation previously with the majority of the cases that were being tested/coming forward being those with the most severe symptoms.

Reactions: robertmac43

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Yeah there's a lot of talking being done now. All football below the Top 2 divisions has already been cancelled.
I think right now about 18 out of 24 pro teams would prefer to end the season, although some are still open to waiting a bit longer.
There is only 1 regular season matchday remaining (and the Cup Final) so there is still hope to maybe play those games in June or something, because a couple of teams can still qualify for Europe and two bottom teams are fighting for relegation. Also the Cup Final will decide who qualifies for the EL group stage.
For midtable teams it just doesn't matter anymore. And at the top, Club Brugge are so far ahead of anyone else, they will be champions anyway.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Uruguay FA cuts 400 people from their payroll including long time manager Oscar Tabarez. Some media outlets say he was sacked but it seems temporary due to the virus and no training/games coming anytime soon

Meanwhile in Croatia the Dinamo Zagreb players and coaches refused to take a pay cut, as a result they fired the entire coaching staff with the exception of the manager (probably in the hope he resigns so they don’t have to pay him more)

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yeah there's a lot of talking being done now. All football below the Top 2 divisions has already been cancelled.
I think right now about 18 out of 24 pro teams would prefer to end the season, although some are still open to waiting a bit longer.
There is only 1 regular season matchday remaining (and the Cup Final) so there is still hope to maybe play those games in June or something, because a couple of teams can still qualify for Europe and two bottom teams are fighting for relegation. Also the Cup Final will decide who qualifies for the EL group stage.
For midtable teams it just doesn't matter anymore. And at the top, Club Brugge are so far ahead of anyone else, they will be champions anyway.

I think you missed the most important point which could resonate in other leagues:

Legislation announced decreeing COVID-19 is irrefutably presumed force majeure; protecting club against claims from broadcasters & sponsors in case of early termination of league.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I think you missed the most important point which could resonate in other leagues:

When leagues resume back to normal, good luck getting those broadcasters and sponsors paying anything close to what they're paying now. If they haven't gone bankrupt themselves, that is.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Doesn't Belgium use some bizarre playoff system?

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Doesn't Belgium use some bizarre playoff system?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Bunch of clowns.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if someone who had the Virus (Arteta?), gets it again and gets really sick or others get sick. This is so incredibly stupid.
:huh: they are talking about june/july.. so 2/3 months from now. Nothing wrong with that.

Also sorry to burst the bubble to you but at some point the quarantine will stop as life will have to continue. I mean, if the virus is not contained in 2 months, I don't ses how 2 or more months of confinement will significantly change anything at that point. I don't want to sound defeatist but there is no way that we can completely prevent this outbreak. We can only mitigate the risks and flatten the curve and find possible antiviral drugs.

Also as proven many times, you cannot get sick twice of it (at least for now). It would take at least a year for a virus to mutate and even then the impact will be way lower since our immune system would already have developed antibodies to it.

And for a vaccine? Absolute best case scenario and, I will be as optimistic as possible by thinking they fast track the mass production of it and the required testing of it, would be by the end of this year.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
It's not proven many times that you cannot get sick twice, but it seems the more likely yes. As for mutations that is not how those work. There are mutations all the time. Thankfully most mutations means it will get less harmful (probability wise that is quite given as this "current version" just won the virus lottery in the first place - winning twice is a lot more difficult).

Unfortunately I think the more likely scenario is that a lot of people will die in the UK over the next 4-6 weeks - which will obviously influence how football is discussed. The same way the PL seemed ignorant to what was happening right up until they suddenly completely changed their mind.

Not that moving into the fall automatically means you got to start off with a new season. What if you can't play until October? Next season is kind of ¤#"#"&% if you are to start a new season in October so might as well just finish the current one then. Soon it also becomes a question of how much time teams will need after this until you can actually play. Having a bunch of players quarantined for potentially months for then to go straight back to playing hardly works either.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Bunch of clowns.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if someone who had the Virus (Arteta?), gets it again and gets really sick or others get sick. This is so incredibly stupid.

Don't forget that the UK government initially advised that the nationwide well-intentioned house arrest scheme should last three weeks from 23 March. The first Saturday after that arrives as soon as 18 April. If we assume that timeline is informed by the advice of Scientific Experts Who Definitely Know What They Are Doing then it's surely fair enough for the league to make contingency plans.

Meanwhile, on 22 March the UK government was writing letters suggesting 12 weeks of well-intentioned house arrest for extremely vulnerable people. The first Saturday after that would be 20 June.

The number of daily deaths and infections in this country has been volatile, in the last week or so especially, but the bloke whose modelling encouraged the government to embrace the lockdown says there are signs of the infection slowing.

Equally, it's been said the peak of infections is, 'some weeks away' (a pleasingly vague analysis, I'm sure we can all agree), and the deputy chief medical officer mentioned it'll take six months before everything returns to normal.

Who genuinely knows what they are talking about (as opposed to making educated guesses that are - no matter how well educated - guesses), and indeed whether we reach the point where the public becomes so pig sick of being locked up they cease to care what experts say at all (consider the success of experts fighting Remain's corner in the EU referendum) is a moot point.

Reactions: Cassano and YNWA14

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Wimbledon is about to be cancelled [slated to start on 6/29].
FWIW, I don't think that type of news bodes too well for the prem to get going before then, or even at all.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

Definitely not the safest idea for the country or the players, but my goodness if this wouldn't be such a fun thing to watch. It would also be really stressful from a relegation battle standpoint.

Overall though just don't do it Prem. Wait this thing out like the rest of the world is going to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->