Coronavirus discussion thread (no political debates)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Deceptive numbers... How many of those people are elderly and in critical care expected to die at any time? How many were already in hospital for other reasons or high risk people?

100,000 of 15,000,000 = .0006666% which is less than the standard flu statistically. That was his worse case scenario
3,000 of 15,000,000 = .0002%

And they want us to forfeit our economies and ways of life for those "horrific" numbers.
Again it's not just the deaths they are worried about. Its more about the amount of people that would be hospitalized and our hospitals can only handle so many. More would die if our hospitals can't cope with it.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Where did you get 1 in 150 every day, that's not how it works. He said worst case is 100,000 spread over 2 years! Do you know how many people we have in their 80's on oxygen that smoked all their lives? Many of these people were set to die, you can't stop death. It's less than 1% and you are going to have 30% of people losing their homes for this?

Those are their official numbers and they aren't even taking special care to isolate the seniors, didn't for mths.
Ok now your getting it. You have two years to live. Go on get out there. Why you on here.hey you might be ok anyway. You might be just fine and strong and its all the other weaker immune deficient that need to worry. Get out there go make some money and to hell with that.

You need a adjustment to your attitude

Last edited:
Reactions: PromisedLand

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Allowing most of a nation's manufacturing to depart has always been a time bomb threat to national security in multiple ways. Other nations' leaders priorities are to their nation first.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Again it's not just the deaths they are worried about. Its more about the amount of people that would be hospitalized and our hospitals can only handle so many. More would die if our hospitals can't cope with it.

I'm getting the idea that if you have COVID-19 you don't get to go to the hospital.

That way there is no impact on healthy people who don't use health care.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I don't blame him. Trudeau could order some of our factories to start pressing the very simple to produce surgical style mask though, but I guess we can just continue to keep 2m apart except on public transit. Because you know you can only let 15 people into a 60,000 sq ft Costco at a time, but have 30 on a TTC car which is like 500sq ft.

Love the logics.

JT already did this

Coronavirus: Canadian companies now manufacturing ventilators, surgical masks

N95 masks being made in Quebec.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Ok now your getting it. You have two years to live. Go on get out there. Why you on here.hey you might be ok anyway. You might be just fine and strong and its all the other weaker immune deficient that need to worry. Get out there go make some money and to hell with that.

You need a adjustment to your attitude

I am in a position to buy up peoples assets as they lose them. It's more in my interest to demand a lockdown / shakedown of the Millennial class as the cost of not being able to more easily enjoy my cottage. If I didn't care about the people I would say lock it down. Unfortunately what should be being done right now is lockdown of the elderly and vulnerable while letting the world move forward. Apparently they have to have a blanket solution because they are net stupid as a whole. I don't even care anymore because it's so preposterous, 100,000 people of which probably 50k would have died within a couple years regardless, mostly because they smoked and are old, on oxygen etc. Ironically, we could still protect those people though with locking them down but nobody wants to think about that.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
I'm getting the idea that if you have COVID-19 you don't get to go to the hospital.

That way there is no impact on healthy people who don't use health care.
I never said that. They have put these measures in place to help slow the spread so hospitals don't get overwhelmed with this. The problem is there is still far too many that either don't care or are ignorant and think it won't affect them so they go on about their life as if everything is normal. Sorry if so have been harsh to anybody but I see it every day with how many are still shopping socially.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
not sure if true, but I heard the US is trying to block N95 facemasks from being exported to Canada, if true depending on a foreign country albeit our closest ally still isn't ideal.
I think the Model State Emergency Health Powers Act was put into place in the U.S. on March 16th, 2020. 3M were ramping up production in January & February, 2020, but the industrial market is where the bulk of the purchases were going to.

Trump’s Reasonable—And Yet Still Worrisome—Emergency Declaration

When the MSEHPA was put into place, 3M ramped up distribution to health care from that point onwards. That was impacted by the decision to allow health care workers to use the N95 (industrial) masks.

The interview linked above mentions Canada as a customer, but doesn't specifically mention the subject about blocking orders to Canada. You may have better info on that (just saw it on the previous page of this thread). 3M has already doubled its production of ventilators/masks.

Last edited:
Reactions: rumman

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
100k of 15M is not .00666%. It's .667%.

15,000,000 x .0067 = 100,500 = About 2/3 of 1% check it out and 80% of that number is going to be 80+ year olds with health issues, many whom would have died regardless or because other things anyways.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The normal flu death rate is 0.02%. 0.667% is 33 times that rate.

Mentioned during the current news conference: the death rate for 80 or older who contract the virus is 20%. The death rate for 70 to 79 yo is 10%.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Allowing most of a nation's manufacturing to depart has always been a time bomb threat to national security in multiple ways. Other nations' leaders priorities are to their nation first.

Very true.

I think this will trigger a rethink of outsourcing as well as lean inventory management... particularly for critical supplies.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
I couldn't care less about the economy personally, I have lots of things to barter if it comes down to it (goats, chickens, rabbits, fruits, veggies, nuts, milk, and honey). I've been quarantining long before the LARP'ers decided it was the "right thing to do". I would hate to see people with depression, stress, anxiety, ptsd commit suicide because of it. But regardless of what happens with the economy, the real victims will be the ones to take the vaccine for this common seasonal cold. History will repeat itself, there's nothing new under the sun.

Are you with Wilson?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Very true.

I think this will trigger a rethink of outsourcing as well as lean inventory management... particularly for critical supplies.

The fact that critical infrastructure equipment/repair parts/electronics at power plants, water treatment facilities, hospitals, medical manufacturing facilities, etc. are often solely sourced to China has always been inexplicable to me.

Reactions: CelticDruid

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Numbers from Ontario ... would have just went with herd immunity

Woah.

The impact isn’t just deaths as a direct result from Coronavirus.

There are massive ripples.

If you went with the do nothing approach, ICU beds would be overwhelmed by 3-5k.

You go in with a stroke or a heart attack or internal bleeding ... you have no ICU bed and equipment. You die too.

We are already seeing surgeries cancelled based on the demands the system has now.

No bypass or stent surgery. No skin cancers removed. Other cancer surgeries to remove tumours. No transplants. No screenings for things like breast and colon cancer.

‘I’m kind of scared’: Surgery for cancer patients and others cancelled as hospitals brace for possible COVID-19 wave

Imagine the impact after 2 years.

Big picture folks. Big picture.

Reactions: leburn98

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'm retirement age, will have little opportunity to recoup the loses.

So I'll live much lighter and hopefully much longer!

I'd rather be living poor than a wealthy corpse.
when you get to where you are in life time is the real currency, far more than money, of course that's all relative. I retired early and left about 10% of my pension on the table to do so because tomorrow's promised to no one, now more than ever.............

Reactions: ULF_55

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
hopefully this will be a wake up call, at least for those who survive this thing?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
100k of 15M is not .00666%. It's .667%.

Was waiting for someone to spot this.

15,000,000 x .0067 = 100,500 = About 2/3 of 1% check it out and 80% of that number is going to be 80+ year olds with health issues, many whom would have died regardless or because other things anyways.

But what you said originally was not .0067, it was .0067%.

I haven't followed these threads closely but from what I've seen you've posted quite a few numbers that are just wrong. Example - just an hour or two ago, you posted some costco numbers that sounded like BS, I asked you for a source and you ignored me. And of course this .00067% nonsense, when you make things seem worse then they are by a factor of 100 it makes you come across as someone desperate and willing to post lies to push his agenda.

How do you expect anyone to take you seriously?

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Most other countries are mass-producing coronavirus tests kits will Canada be doing this as well?

I see that we have finally started the production of face masks (ten days ago), we seem to be behind on most essentials needed to fight this crisis.

Hope that production in all areas picks up real soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->