Coronavirus discussion thread (no political debates) VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Because I don't want my ability to go wherever I want to go to depend on not violating whatever Toyota decides their terms of service are that day. That or say you're in China and cars stop coming to you because one of your social media posts dropped your social credit score below the threshold.

Why would you not just own a car that gives you the option of manual and autopilot?

I think there's room in the world for both. Fleets of cost effective, low environmental impact self driving cars are a pretty straight line (and less exploitative) evolution of "ride share" services, and would layer very well with expanded public transit systems and standard rentals to make life fully accessible without car ownership being a necessity.

But for those of us that live rurally or otherwise have the need- we drop the cash and own.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
What I said is that the rosy glow theory is just as full of holes. Watch it again. They aren't saying debt forgiveness, they are saying "You will own nothing, and you will be happy". That's not full of holes and theory. That's a part of their mission statement, agenda, and mandate. Period. I don't see anywhere where it says you have to agree to this for it to occur. I would hope so. This is something that needs far more scrutiny and transparency. All of it.

Right now one can't even have an alternative viewpoint on the whole "Covid crisis" response it's glaring lack of logic without being shouted down for the most part.

Yet here is something that isn't receiving any airtime. Let's ask why.

So, there was widespread academic fraud and complete fear mongering with regards to HCQ. Remember that this was an incredibly "dangerous" drug, and ineffective, which obviously isn't true....but people spout it like gospel. People want to trust the science, but it really cannot be trusted.

People need to understand that, well, there are agendas being pushed that fly in the face of academia, and worst of all....is being believed without question because CNN said that, and anyone who dares question any of this is dangerous, crazy, or a luddite.

Opinion: The ‘Great Reset’ conspiracy theory is a great embarrassment for all involved – including Ottawa

That puts a big hole in your theory

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Because I don't want my ability to go wherever I want to go to depend on not violating whatever Toyota decides their terms of service are that day. That or say you're in China and cars stop coming to you because one of your social media posts dropped your social credit score below the threshold.

Why would you not just own a car that gives you the option of manual and autopilot?

firstly why would Toyota be the only option? I’d assume most automakers would get in on the market and I suppose you could pick and choose which would be has better terms and conditions for you that day?

Everyday you agree to terms and conditions on things with the knowledge they could change at anytime yet they rarely if ever do change in a way that affects you

If you are in China now and do those things you’ll be arrested what does a car not getting you have to do with it?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I think there's room in the world for both. Fleets of cost effective, low environmental impact self driving cars are a pretty straight line (and less exploitative) evolution of "ride share" services, and would layer very well with expanded public transit systems and standard rentals to make life fully accessible without car ownership being a necessity.

But for those of us that live rurally or otherwise have the need- we drop the cash and own.

You'd have to be awfully optimistic to expect that no government or multi-national corporation effectively above the law running this type of system will never behave in a way that's unfairly beneficial to themselves at the cost of the average customer.

The idea of getting locked out of the fleet system because I was in the same store as an infected person last week is both realistic today and unsettling. Manual cars in this scenario would be several times more expensive due to lower demand, still highly computerized and dependent on software updates to continue working, and borderline unrepairable unless done at an official licensed dealership.

Again, I have no problem with the fleet system, but it should be an addition not a replacement. If I own a car, I'm still probably taking a self driving fleet car for my commute, why would I want to have to be alert in 7am traffic everyday? At the same time, I want to be able to go camping without worrying that I'm going to get stranded because my phone died.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think the point is that it's not enough to live on, but working any job + UBI would enable you to "get ahead" and create more opportunity, economic activity, etc.
If that’s the case, then that’s a great idea. I am all for that as long as our tax don’t increase.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I take a lot of road trips. My family is far away. How exactly am I to take a 2500 km drive in an electric car? Or will I now be forced to buy airfare and rent a car when I get there?

Loss of yet another freedom and being forced to spend a lot of money needlessly is being framed as something great for us yet again.

Are you asking if an electric car can drive 2500km or that in the scenario of fleet cars you wouldn’t be allowed to go that far?

good electric cars now go as far as regular fuel cars, I guess developing quick charge technology to the point where it’s just as quick as a refuel like now is what would be stopping 2000km + journeys as of right now.

I can’t see a future where you aren’t allowed to travel Canada, even in your conspiracy world if the whole world is in on this conspiracy of yours they would monitor you world over why confine you to on province what do they get out that?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

When reading this tweet from this reporter, I have a feeling it is my kids school and when I send this to other friends, they have the same feeling, and here is the kicker, our kids all go to different schools and we don’t live in the same district/region.

It's concerning not only because the parents acted with flippant regard for others, but that the staff member of a high school lost count at 9 or 10.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

I really wish people would look up the meaning of freedom of speech (not speach). This guy defied public health regulations whether you agree with them or not it is not a “freedom of speech” issue. The public health regulations are to keep people safe this clown has no right to endanger anyone under any law in Canada’s constitution. Again whether you agree it’s a public health issue or not is irrelevant it’s the rules right now

Reactions: Pink Mist

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
firstly why would Toyota be the only option? I’d assume most automakers would get in on the market and I suppose you could pick and choose which would be has better terms and conditions for you that day?

Everyday you agree to terms and conditions on things with the knowledge they could change at anytime yet they rarely if ever do change in a way that affects you

If you are in China now and do those things you’ll be arrested what does a car not getting you have to do with it?

It doesn't really matter if they're the only manufacturer or not, they're companies looking to make a profit. Your "right" to transportation is not something they care about if it harms their bottom line in any way.

I really cannot see any argument where "you are allowed to use a car if your behaviour is up to the standards of the PR team at Toyota/Tesla/whoever" is better than the current system. I didn't vote for Toyota's CEO, I didn't vote for Elon Musk, why would I be ok with them deciding if I'm allowed to go where I want or not?

Also no, you don't get arrested lol. Your social credit score can just prevent you from being eligible for high speed train tickets, premium real estate opportunities, and even travelling outside the country.

Again, let me repeat that, legal non-criminal non-violent behaviour that the current government isn't thrilled about can revoke your ability to leave the country or get a train ticket. The system is in place, even if today's government doesn't abuse it, you'd have to be awfully optimistic to expect that a bad actor is never going to gain power.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Exactly. Although it is good to have UBI as a fallback(if you can’t find a job) and let’s say that’s the same amount at CERB-900/2 weeks. Is that enough to support yourself and have a life?
I fear a lot of people would lose their drive to work if it’s too high.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think the point is that it's not enough to live on, but working any job + UBI would enable you to "get ahead" and create more opportunity, economic activity, etc.

this exactly. The U is universal which means everyone gets it. The point of it is, so if you have a job you have extra to get ahead and if you lose your job you have something there so as to not fall behind so far you get stuck in a cycle of poverty.

the problems and catches with it are
- would companies start trying to pay less because “you get ubi as well”
- should it be universal? I’m not sure probably should be a cap imo
- it has to be enough to cover food and probably rent at least which can be pretty expensive and is different city to city and town to town

those are some of the problems with ubi that need to be addressed before it ever gets rolled out

at some point in the near future we will have ubi 100% imo

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It's concerning not only because the parents acted with flippant regard for others, but that the staff member of a high school lost count at 9 or 10.
The protocols in BC is confusing at best. Not trying to be a conspiracy spreader, but the fact that you can only get tested if you show symptoms even if you are exposed to someone tested positive really means the govt is trying their best to lower the numbers by not testing potential COVID patients. The other thing, if someone close to you or live in your household tested positive, as long as you are not showing symptoms, you can go out, go to work or school, just recommend to monitor the situation closely.
It is like they(govt) don’t even want to contain COVID.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It doesn't really matter if they're the only manufacturer or not, they're companies looking to make a profit. Your "right" to transportation is not something they care about if it harms their bottom line in any way.

I really cannot see any argument where "you are allowed to use a car if your behaviour is up to the standards of the PR team at Toyota/Tesla/whoever" is better than the current system. I didn't vote for Toyota's CEO, I didn't vote for Elon Musk, why would I be ok with them deciding if I'm allowed to go where I want or not?

Also no, you don't get arrested lol. Your social credit score can just prevent you from being eligible for high speed train tickets, premium real estate opportunities, and even travelling outside the country.

Again, let me repeat that, legal non-criminal non-violent behaviour that the current government isn't thrilled about can revoke your ability to leave the country or get a train ticket. The system is in place, even if today's government doesn't abuse it, you'd have to be awfully optimistic to expect that a bad actor is never going to gain power.

Can a government not change laws now that make it so you can’t do those things? What has not owning a car for to do with it?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I really wish people would look up the meaning of freedom of speech (not speach). This guy defied public health regulations whether you agree with them or not it is not a “freedom of speech” issue. The public health regulations are to keep people safe this clown has no right to endanger anyone under any law in Canada’s constitution. Again whether you agree it’s a public health issue or not is irrelevant it’s the rules right now
Lol yes speech

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Are you asking if an electric car can drive 2500km or that in the scenario of fleet cars you wouldn’t be allowed to go that far?

good electric cars now go as far as regular fuel cars, I guess developing quick charge technology to the point where it’s just as quick as a refuel like now is what would be stopping 2000km + journeys as of right now.

I can’t see a future where you aren’t allowed to travel Canada, even in your conspiracy world if the whole world is in on this conspiracy of yours they would monitor you world over why confine you to on province what do they get out that?

I would imagine that the viability of electric cars will depend on building readily available quick charging stations in urban centers, rural communities and all along highway routes. Just like you're not going to drive 2500 km on a single tank of gas, you're not going to be driving 2500 km on a single battery charge or whatever.

Regarding the conspiracy theory about ownership of these electric cars, I'm pretty sure the automotive industry has always been built on the model of selling vehicles to the public. Even if we see a subscription based plans rolled out, the ability to purchase or lease to own a vehicle won't be going away any time soon.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Can a government not change laws now that make it so you can’t do those things? What has not owning a car for to do with it?

1) a government that people voted for and has to follow due process is a little different than a private company that can choose to ban me for literally 0 reason.

2) you could pass a law that I'm personally no longer allowed to drive. My car is in my driveway and I can get pretty far out of the city before anyone notices. A little different than your app informing you that you are no longer eligible to ride with no alternatives.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The protocols in BC is confusing at best. Not trying to be a conspiracy spreader, but the fact that you can only get tested if you show symptoms even if you are exposed to someone tested positive really means the govt is trying their best to lower the numbers by not testing potential COVID patients. The other thing, if someone close to you or live in your household tested positive, as long as you are not showing symptoms, you can go out, go to work or school, just recommend to monitor the situation closely.
It is like they(govt) don’t even want to contain COVID.

I'm not sure of how it works in B.C, but at least as far as children are concerned, the system should be setup so that you can be mailed two weeks of course work and/or can slide your child into online classes seamlessly, in the event they must quarantine for two weeks.

Obviously inconsistent counting and protocols just contribute towards confusion and mayhem, in addition to spreading.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
You should see the people that don’t agree with you or how he was handled. I think he’s well over $250,000 on his gofundme now. People and lots of them are against everything they done to him. I think they are right. Now they are being power mongers on him. They’d do it to you too

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
You should see the people that don’t agree with you or how he was handled. I think he’s well over $250,000 on his gofundme now. People and lots of them are against everything they done to him. I think they are right. Now they are being power mongers on him. They’d do it to you too
hopefully it covers his bills. The kid deserves it, right or wrong that took balls to do.

Comical really, the place had dozen or more police officers on site, some arm of the government changes the locks to the place in the middle of the night. A little later than normal opening but nevertheless a sealed door gets broken down... WE'RE OPEN! lol

Last edited:

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Really there needs to be a regulatory agency created for A.I, covering electric self-driving cars. The same way there is one for cars, planes, food etc. that works in the interest of the public. Sooner rather than later as well.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Really there needs to be a regulatory agency created for A.I, covering electric self-driving cars. The same way there is one for cars, planes, food etc. that works in the interest of the public. Sooner rather than later as well.

100%, I'm shocked there aren't more prominent futurist departments in governments outside of Finland and some other Asian/Baltic countries. AI is already influencing politics and economics at levels that people shouldn't be ok with being unregulated. We shouldn't wait for it to cross over to physical every day utilities before recognizing it as a problem.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
hopefully it covers his bills. The kid deserves it, right or wrong that took balls to do.
Yeah and I didn’t agree with his approach. Now after the way they abused him and his rights I’m hoping everyone in business tells them to go f*** a stump but does it while social distancing.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

Right. If he can't have customers inside and can only do curbside/delivery then the rules should also apply to box chains. Spending 30 minutes in a grocery store is probably even worse than spending 30 minutes in a restaurant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad