Coronavirus discussion thread (no political debates) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
My take on this is that in bars/bowling alleys groups of people would be spending longer amounts of time together, talking to one another, drinking, using the bathroom etc. The very nature of those businesses provide conditions that are conducive to the spread of the virus.

From what I've seen at grocery stores, people tend to go in, usually alone, get their stuff and get out.

It's also a lot harder to keep clean probably too. At a bar you are putting fluids in your mouth and doing a lot of direct touching with your face, etc. I mean I guess in Canadian Tire and stuff you can't stop the droplets from getting on the products, but if you wear gloves and especially wash your hands, you will be fine and it is not like you are touching your face all that much.

The main thing is that if you are wearing a mask, make sure you are wearing it properly and ideally you get an airtight mask, which is not most of the masks I have seen people wearing... And really you should be wearing gloves if possible too. A guy ripped into me because he did not understand how wearing gloves does anything for an airborne virus (I guess he did not know it spreads through droplets and these droplets can stick to surfaces, most notably your hands) and how wearing a mask incorrectly (which based on the news, seems to be very common) can actually be more dangerous (for yourself) than not wearing a mask at all, since it has a surface which it can stick to while still releasing a ton (if not as many) droplets.

Wearing a mask is really an overcompensation to prevent droplets from getting out there in the first place, much like complete isolation can prevent this thing too. Most likely the droplets just floating around in the air from talking and breathing is not enough, unless you were in a heavily infected area with a lot of people in a tight area and you are constantly breathing the droplets in (i.e. the subway, which is a complete cesspool with things that are far worse than Covid), or this is a really powerful virus which does not require a ton of droplets for infection (if someone can confirm this for me, that would be great). However if it is anything like the other airborne illnesses, simply breathing the same air (obviously sneezing or coughing on someone is completely different) as someone infected is not likely going to give you anything more than the droplets sticking to something and you touching that thing with your hands. Then if you don't clean them, or if it is like a drinking glass where you bring it into direct contact with your face, you could be in trouble if enough droplets accumulated.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Have you heard about the COVID-19 parties that have been trending lately among young adults in parts of the U.S.?

Some Americans are beyond stupid.
My son goes to college and he’s afraid the govts will try and shut down classrooms and not allow them to go to school.
He doesn’t go to these parties but the students want to get it over with so they get on with their lives.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
My son goes to college and he’s afraid the govts will try and shut down classrooms and not allow them to go to school.
He doesn’t go to these parties but the students want to get it over with so they get on with their lives.

Yes, with no regard for the more vulnerable family members they can expose afterwards.

Not to mention, in the current hotspots in the U.S., there have been an increasing number of young adults requiring hospitalization after being infected.

Some of these millenials better stop thinking they're invincible. Besides, nothing will revert back to normal until the virus is under control in society as a whole.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yes, with no regard for the more vulnerable family members they can expose afterwards.

Not to mention, in the current hotspots in the U.S., there have been an increasing number of young adults requiring hospitalization after being infected.

Some of these millenials better stop thinking they're invincible. Besides, nothing will revert back to normal until the virus is under control in society as a whole.

Im not condoning the action although I am a proponent of herd immunity. Death rates for that age group are very low. In fact all deaths in that age group are

This is from a cardiologist. Prophylaxis and care are contributing factors.
8CCcGQ-llHgrPRWk682nGQkyBt_yNrqmOLzEYBJ7TZFyR5iyJEmedeiriYrPa8qENovqNFl7GUm4nw=w1280-h960

Another reason why I'm confident: There are 3,141 counties in the U.S. At the height of the pandemic 100 counties were reporting 5+ deaths every day. Today - we are down to 28.

3 months ago I was nervous about this virus but looking at this data on a daily basis has given me a much better feeling.

Still social distancing and washing your hands is a wise idea.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Im not condoning the action although I am a proponent of herd immunity. Death rates for that age group are very low. In fact all deaths in that age group are

This is from a cardiologist. Prophylaxis and care are contributing factors.
8CCcGQ-llHgrPRWk682nGQkyBt_yNrqmOLzEYBJ7TZFyR5iyJEmedeiriYrPa8qENovqNFl7GUm4nw=w1280-h960

Another reason why I'm confident: There are 3,141 counties in the U.S. At the height of the pandemic 100 counties were reporting 5+ deaths every day. Today - we are down to 28.

3 months ago I was nervous about this virus but looking at this data on a daily basis has given me a much better feeling.

Still social distancing and washing your hands is a wise idea.

almost 25% of Canadians have some kind of health condition that could make COVID dangerous for them.

38 million population x 25% = around 9.5 million people that is a high number

It is even worst in the US; I am really scared for folks in the US

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Reactions: Nineteen67

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
The States gave 5% of the world population and 25% of the deaths and 25% of the cases. They have made politics out of the biggest threat to the world since world war 2.

They heed to be pearl harboured or they just don’t Get it i suppose.
One would have though that NYC was the pearl harbour moment of the pandemic for USA but I guess not.
The wartime president has surrendered. Apparently destruction of statues and the upcoming election are more important.

"It'll go away by itself" - Donald Trump

Sure, once there's no more people to infect.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
"It is being handled." - Donald Trump

You wanna get the numbers down? Stop testing for God's sake.

Maybe this is Trump's messed up way to try and eliminate an entire section the population to ensure his re-election.

I would not put it beyond him to do something shady like that. All of the poor people, immigrants, or minorities who won't vote for me but are the most susceptible are dying or getting really sick, well that's going to help my numbers!

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Maybe this is Trump's messed up way to try and eliminate an entire section the population to ensure his re-election.

I would not put it beyond him to do something shady like that. All of the poor people, immigrants, or minorities who won't vote for me but are the most susceptible are dying or getting really sick, well that's going to help my numbers!

Would not put it past him but he has lost men and women 50+ as well as most of the minorities. Of course the election is not until November so he could still take a large chunk out of those left.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

almost 25% of Canadians have some kind of health condition that could make COVID dangerous for them.

38 million population x 25% = around 9.5 million people that is a high number

It is even worst in the US; I am really scared for folks in the US

I’m more worried about the underlying condition and mental health issue, especially if they don’t let kids back in school - particularity K-12. Colleges is different and they will to take precautions. High school is needed for the development of kids and to take that away is criminal, IMO.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I’m more worried about the underlying condition and mental health issue, especially if they don’t let kids back in school - particularity K-12. Colleges is different and they will to take precautions. High school is needed for the development of kids and to take that away is criminal, IMO.
True but it needs to be safe.
For example, my parents live with me and my family. My mum just finished her last chemo treatment two weeks ago. I did not let my kids go back to school(BC reopened its school in June, now is closed due to Summer). Lets say today is Aug 31, I will still think it is not 100% safe for my kids to go back to school, as I am seeing more and more people being careless instead of keeping social distancing.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
True but it needs to be safe.
For example, my parents live with me and my family. My mum just finished her last chemo treatment two weeks ago. I did not let my kids go back to school(BC reopened its school in June, now is closed due to Summer). Lets say today is Aug 31, I will still think it is not 100% safe for my kids to go back to school, as I am seeing more and more people being careless instead of keeping social distancing.
Kids don’t spread it. But, they could video the class for those that have concerns.
But these kids need the social interaction and public health officials must to keep their eyes on the whole forest and not one tree.

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Kids don’t spread it. But, they could video the class for those that have concerns.
But these kids need the social interaction and public health officials must to keep their eyes on the whole forest and not one tree.
I think anyone can spread it, kids might not tested positive but that doesn't mean they are not carrier of COVID. Beside kids are not the only ones at schools.
I am not against re-opening but people need to be more responsible such as wearing masks, washing hands and social distancing. One thing I enjoyed during the lock down was buying groceries, literally everyone knew what they want and just grab and go instead of walking around, despite wanting to get out asap, people were very polite and give everyone space.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think anyone can spread it, kids might not tested positive but that doesn't mean they are not carrier of COVID. Beside kids are not the only ones at schools.
I am not against re-opening but people need to be more responsible such as wearing masks, washing hands and social distancing. One thing I enjoyed during the lock down was buying groceries, literally everyone knew what they want and just grab and go instead of walking around, despite wanting to get out asap, people were very polite and give everyone space.

Kids very rarely if ever spread it. Social distancing is important as is washing hands but almost every large spread event I’ve seen is aerosol related. A lot of cases we are seeing now are migrant workers and other people crammed inside. I’d be more worried about AC than getting it at Lowe’s.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Agree but I will put my faith in human ingenuity; like work from home has been the new normal for now; study from home with online classes on zoom or similar platforms is definitely doable.

I am certain something like that would be done until it is safe to physically return to school. They could also form small bubbles of families where students can study together, hang together etc...

Reactions: Clark4Ever

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Agree but I will put my faith in human ingenuity; like work from home has been the new normal for now; study from home with online classes on zoom or similar platforms is definitely doable.

I am certain something like that would be done until it is safe to physically return to school. They could also form small bubbles of families where students can study together, hang together etc...
It’s safe right now to return to school. It’s extremely unsafe to refuse kids from socializing. We are designed to interact and taking that away is criminal.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

That is just simply not true... Yes children are less likely to contract it, and if they do are even more likely to show no symptoms but that doesn't mean they can't spread it. Some preliminary research has suggested that they spread it at a reduced rate compared to adults but I haven't seen anywhere show with concrete hard evidence that they do not spread the virus at all.

I don't think it's that smart of an idea to just jump in like normal at the start of September. Best option would be to essentially have like soft openings. Maybe do it at reduced capacity, half the children for a few days, then the other half the rest of the week. See how it goes with that and then gradually increase. We simply lack the knowledge to jump in head first.

Reactions: Polaris1010

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Kids very rarely if ever spread it. Social distancing is important as is washing hands but almost every large spread event I’ve seen is aerosol related. A lot of cases we are seeing now are migrant workers and other people crammed inside. I’d be more worried about AC than getting it at Lowe’s.
Actually science sas the opposite. Almost all children with covid 19 are asmptomatic. It’s one of the covid’s pocket aces so to speak.

Reactions: Polaris1010

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I don’t think things will ever return to “normal”

I think they will. Looking at history; things were like this for polio epidemic too until a great mind came up with the vaccine; once the vaccine is developed I am sure things will return to normal.

Hopefully, by then the virus is mutated to its weakest state such that it isn't as dangerous as it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad