Coronavirus discussion thread (no political debates) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
This is satire. This post suggesting ultra extreme authoritarian/unlawful measures for a virus with 0.010% (or less) infection rate is satire. Won't convince me otherwise.
I'd say it was a modest proposal.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
See that's the thing though, stating that as a fact does not make you some "tin foil hat" guy. It's just the sad, and to some people, shocking truth.
F*** conspiracy theories! There is enough right before peoples lazy a$$es to do something about that they don’t have the time or could care about nobody but themselves. Action speaks louder than words. Action talks and Bullsh!t walks

Reactions: lottster14

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I don't see why they can't play in a bubble, particularly the NFL. The NFL plays a total of 16 games a season plus the postseason. Surely they could bubble these teams up between two to four hubs. Sure sacrifices will have to be made, whether reducing the schedule to 8 games or playing 2 per week to reach 16 games. However, both can be completed in two months, plus postseason.

As for potentially playing two games a week, the CFL have done it and that's with travel between cities.

I was telling my brothers the same thing over the weekend. To travel all over the country without fans in attendance is asinine.

In MLB and the NFL, they could have set up 4-5 hub cities and made it work logistically if there was enough motivation from ownership and the players unions.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
They not say that was the case but does it really matter what the party was for?

I'm curious who looks more dumb in this situation -- the people hosting this party, or the 200 people who actually thought attending a gathering of this magnitude at a time like this was a good idea.

Reactions: ACC1224

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Symptomatic or bust. There are reports of inanimate objects testing positive. Pretty much we have to let this thing run its course one way or another. The lockdown methods may be working against the end goal anyways with herd immunity. I am not a fan of controlled demolition of our civilization because adversity and risk. Other generations braved it, we should as well taking the precautions we can that don't hinder the lifestyle we know.

Risk should be on the individual, can't handle the risk, stay home and bubble up, the rest have stuff to do.

Add: recently noticed a graphic where it showed the least strict countries had the best outcomes so far per million. Sweden was the highest but only on par with USA anyways.

That last part is not true at all.

Sweden has the 5th highest deaths per million, the US is around 11th or 12th.

The countries that did well, were countries that were already used to, or had little problems wearing masks, and where they tend not to throw their elderly into homes but instead they live with their famalies.

Countries that did poor, minus US and Brazil,, were all at the beginning of the outbreak where no one had any idea that it would be so brutal on the elderly. New York,, New Jersey, Italy,, Canada all let it get into LTC facilities and it was a mess.

The problem mostly in North America is the liberty debate. What constitutes as freedom, and what we see as oppression.

I am as cynical as most when it comes to believing our government has our best intentions in mind, but even if the rich get richer because of this, that was happening already.

We still have enough people denying the virus is real, let alone wondering if they have any civic responsibility to their neighbour.

Having made many friends, and many more aquaintances in the US, with all the years of travelling and playing ball there, it is a real horror show in some parts. It doesn't work to just open up and let people do what they want. Like it or not, we are seeing a shift in how we are going to live. It has happened numerous times in history, and it certainly won't be the last.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
That last part is not true at all.

Sweden has the 5th highest deaths per million, the US is around 11th or 12th.

The countries that did well, were countries that were already used to, or had little problems wearing masks, and where they tend not to throw their elderly into homes but instead they live with their famalies.

Countries that did poor, minus US and Brazil,, were all at the beginning of the outbreak where no one had any idea that it would be so brutal on the elderly. New York,, New Jersey, Italy,, Canada all let it get into LTC facilities and it was a mess.

The problem mostly in North America is the liberty debate. What constitutes as freedom, and what we see as oppression.

I am as cynical as most when it comes to believing our government has our best intentions in mind, but even if the rich get richer because of this, that was happening already.

We still have enough people denying the virus is real, let alone wondering if they have any civic responsibility to their neighbour.

Having made many friends, and many more aquaintances in the US, with all the years of travelling and playing ball there, it is a real horror show in some parts. It doesn't work to just open up and let people do what they want. Like it or not, we are seeing a shift in how we are going to live. It has happened numerous times in history, and it certainly won't be the last.

To be honest with this joke all billionaires and including their bogus foundations should be garnished. The Fed printed funny money and basically gave it to the wealthy. The average person is getting robbed over this.

The freedom line will be drawn when or if they attempt forced vaccinations and removal of people from their homes. The social contract is ended then, the country non existent at that point. Wild west in the US and they will likely annex us.

Look at SK Japan and the others. Very low instances of CV deaths. SWE was the worstof the loosely restricted.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
To be honest with this joke all billionaires and including their bogus foundations should be garnished. The Fed printed funny money and basically gave it to the wealthy. The average person is getting robbed over this.
You know what is funny?

Something I read another forum a poster said this about the United States and the Fed and the stock market.

He said that since the money only goes to a few, and that is why there is no inflation in the general economy.

I laughed out loud when I read that, because it is true. Never thought of it that way because (we think of where funds flow to ie stocks, currency debasement, and other risks) although we all know that QE goes to the rich, but the rich don't spend their money in the same neighbourhoods like the rest of us the 99%.

Hence, no price inflation. CERB can go on indefinitely in Canada with no price inflation.

Therefore, QE that only goes to the very rich can go on indefinitely, because no one is going to figure it out among the 99%.

:dunce:

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

The freedom line will be drawn when or if they attempt forced vaccinations and removal of people from their homes. The social contract is ended then, the country non existent at that point. Wild west in the US and they will likely annex us.

Look at SK Japan and the others. Very low instances of CV deaths. SWE was the worstof the loosely restricted.

What fo the Japanese and South Koreans have in common though?

They wear masks habitually, they tend to keep their parents at home instead of casting thwm into long term care centers, and they believe in a common good not to run around infecting other people.

You could argue that they are docile, and surrender their freedom too easily, and allow their government to track and trace them,, but in a global pandemic,, for the greater good, is that so wrong?

People are up in arms about their liberty. What about the liberty of those who don't want to be infected? With asymptomatic carriers, who can spread the virus around, how the hell can you know if someone has it?

Should we force people back to work? Where is liberty in that?

Pandemics have many branches, and the problems start shooting all over the place. I think if we go back to the beginning of the original thread, the discussion has covered everything that was going to be a fallout because of it. Sadly, once it started, it was inevitable. We have become to polarized in our way of thinking. We refuse to see the other side of the story. Sacrifice liberty now, for a chance of a better tomorrow.

I love going to bars, having ridiculously sized house parties. I am saddened by that not being a part of my life, and I am saddened for those whose life was disrupted by this mess.

Hell, I have lost almost all my income as a coach because of this. It sucks. I don't whine about it. I pine to get back to it, but it's temporary and I will make the best of the situation.

We will probably lose some businesses, and we will create new ones to compensate. Those that are driven will land on their feet and adapt to the new challenge.

Ambassador Bridge

Apr 19, 2004
I'm curious who looks more dumb in this situation -- the people hosting this party, or the 200 people who actually thought attending a gathering of this magnitude at a time like this was a good idea.

If it was something like a wedding reception the the 200 guests probably felt obligated to attend.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
It honestly feels like they are purposely trying to market covid. Everyone is wearing loose non-medical masks not even covering their nose, hows that even supposed to protect anyone? Why are they wearing masks anyway, aren’t they in the bubble? If covid is so deadly why the hell are they playing? If it’s not deadly they why the hell are they wearing fake masks?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Stuff like this puzzles me.
Why do people even host 200 people at their house to begin with? Like even without COVID, why invite 200 people to trash your own house?

The guy claimed he invited fewer, but word got out. That still doesn't explain why he let them in.............

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
On the conspiracy theory train. I watched a video on YouTube from an Australian news team ( searched for it and I cant find it), they interviewed on of the worlds most knowledgeable Epidemiologists. He said the normal route once a virus like this is human infecting is you try to back track to find out which animal the virus did its jump to humans from.

When they did their testing on the animals and compared the infection rate to humans, he said this virus was "uniquely suited for human infection" suggesting it has some form of laboratory manipulation. He also said that the animals they tested had no where near the infection rate of humans. the conspiracy theory is it was found in the wild, then genetically modified to infect humans. His suggestion that this is "uniquely suited for human infection" would support that Conspiracy Theory.

We will probably never know the truth.

The below link supports the "uniquely suited for humans" statement.

The divergences make Sars-Cov-2 more stable and about 1,000 times better at latching on to ACE2 than RaTG13, their study suggested.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/why-have-more-1-000-ceos-left-their-post-past-n1076201

I'm the furthest thing from a conspiracy theorist you are ever going to find, but I've seen multiple legitimate sources say that this jumped from one species to another, was harvested by humans and worked on in the lab in Wuhan, and then got loose by mistake. The belief is that a lab technician unknowingly carried it out of the lab.

Reactions: Bluelines

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The guy claimed he invited fewer, but word got out. That still doesn't explain why he let them in.............
Sounds like the typical Air BNB house rented then used as a party. I'd gladly love to see the organizer and house owner face massive fines. If it was a case of parents out of town, and the kids were morons, I'd be more lenient, even with as reckless as it was.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Exactly, how can you let 200 people into your house

I knew someone who had that happen back in high school. This was waaaay before the days of social media, so word had spread like wildfire at the mall that Saturday. Anyway, he had a ton of uninvited people show up. Once things started looking like they were getting too big to handle he stopped even going to the door when the bell rang, so people just let themselves in. By about 11pm there was one hell of a bender going on, so he called the cops himself and the party was over by midnight.

It was good while it lasted though.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I'm the furthest thing from a conspiracy theorist you are ever going to find, but I've seen multiple legitimate sources say that this jumped from one species to another, was harvested by humans and worked on in the lab in Wuhan, and then got loose by mistake. The belief is that a lab technician unknowingly carried it out of the lab.

For me this makes the most logical explanation , plus the ease it infects humans, IMO this feels like it was a designer virus.

I sure hope when this is all said and done, China pays financially in some form for providing the environment to have these virus propagate. If it was a wet market virus, its China's fault , if it escaped accidentally from a lab, it's China's fault. Anyway you paint this China needs to be held accountable with dollars paid to our people. You know all that debt Canadian they hold, poof it disappears over night. All that US debt they hold poof...

Reactions: Nineteen67

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Stuff like this puzzles me.
Why do people even host 200 people at their house to begin with? Like even without COVID, why invite 200 people to trash your own house?

I can barely name 20 people I would like to spend more than 15 minutes with and this person knows 200?

Every gov't is begging to make a very public example of a few less than responsible people, don' be that guy/gal... cause they will string you up in front of city all in the most public way possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->