Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
To be fair, that should have happened. The only reason it didn't was a problem of people being irrationally scared of nuclear power. Which I guess you can also say is true about automation :laugh:

I don’t think people at large became irrationally scared until TMI. I think the industry also significantly underestimated construction costs. As an old dude I hate tech advances. Im still afraid to change from my 14.4 k dial up modem and Hyundai 286 PC with sepia characters.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Nuclear would be awesome if there was a cost effective way to deal with the waste, really

Reprossessing the waste is exactly that. The concerns with that is that you can make weapons grade fuel really easily through processing. It's the same reason breeder reactors haven't gained any traction, breeder reactors make their own fuel by transmuting U-238 into Pl-239 and plutonium is weapons grade at very low enrichments.

I don’t think people at large became irrationally scared until TMI. I think the industry also significantly underestimated construction costs. As an old dude I hate tech advances. Im still afraid to change from my 14.4 k dial up modem and Hyundai 286 PC with sepia characters.

Nah, I'm actually super well versed on nuclear policy history in the USA. TMI was the deathblow for nuclear in America, but there was a very clear rising anti-nuclear fervor growing throughout the late 60s and 70s. I remember the "hell no, we won't glow" chants from a video I saw and I believe that was early 70s.

Reactions: EightyOne

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Reprossessing the waste is exactly that. The concerns with that is that you can make weapons grade fuel really easily through processing. It's the same reason breeder reactors haven't gained any traction, breeder reactors make their own fuel by transmuting U-238 into Pl-239 and plutonium is weapons grade at very low enrichments.

Nah, I'm actually super well versed on nuclear policy history in the USA. TMI was the deathblow for nuclear in America, but there was a very clear rising anti-nuclear fervor growing throughout the late 60s and 70s. I remember the "hell no, we won't glow" chants from a video I saw and I believe that was early 70s.

Yep. That’s why I said people at large. TMI and China Syndrome brought the issue into the public’s conscious IIRC beyond those who were perceived as leftover fringe 60s radicals.

I think below ground disposal of high level waste is dead after 38 years, and, as you say, reprocessing has its own issues. So I don’t see any meaningful near term growth for nuke power in the US.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yep. That’s why I said people at large. TMI and China Syndrome brought the issue into the public’s conscious IIRC beyond those who were perceived as leftover fringe 60s radicals.

I think below ground disposal of high level waste is dead after 38 years, and, as you say, reprocessing has its own issues. So I don’t see any meaningful near term growth for nuke power in the US.

This is coming from someone who works in the nuclear field, has an undergrad degree in nuclear engineering and was about to go for a PhD in nuclear engineering before COVID-19 killed those plans: commercial nuclear power is a dying industry in the United States. Your options are military (where I'm at) or academia in the United States.

I've complained about wanting to move to Canada a couple of times in these COVID-19 threads, I'm not only doing that because of what trajectory the US is going on. I'm also doing that because Ontario has a shitload of commercial nuclear engineering jobs :laugh:

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
This is coming from someone who works in the nuclear field, has an undergrad degree in nuclear engineering and was about to go for a PhD in nuclear engineering before COVID-19 killed those plans: commercial nuclear power is a dying industry in the United States. Your options are military (where I'm at) or academia in the United States.

I've complained about wanting to move to Canada a couple of times in these COVID-19 threads, I'm not only doing that because of what trajectory the US is going on. I'm also doing that because Ontario has a shitload of commercial nuclear engineering jobs :laugh:

There’s also government - DOE and NRC - although NRC is going to grow and contract with he commercial side.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There’s also government - DOE and NRC - although NRC is going to grow and contract with he commercial side.

DOE does the same, my work with the military is contracted through the DOE. I think DOD has a little bit too. I think the NRC side is the side that's going to die off.

The two sides are commercial and military, and you have certain government agencies that contract through both of those sides. The military side is going to last for a long time, but I don't think the commercial side will.

Reactions: Al Smith

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
remember how florida's percent positive numbers were totally wrong? that account is posting videos of grim reapers on beaches, are you sure he's a reliable source?

I believe that the numbers are up. I also believe that there are issues with the reporting, and some, far too many, who are politicizing the issue.

The main idea though is that there is an increase, likely not as alarming as some are making out but still alarming, and that a segment of the population, some left, some right, but mostly just morons, who refuse to do the simplest thing, wear a God Damn mask and social distance.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
remember how florida's percent positive numbers were totally wrong? that account is posting videos of grim reapers on beaches, are you sure he's a reliable source?

I looked at his twitter feed. Not sure where you're going with this . . . :sarcasm:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Two points on that.

First.

As I said, jobs and entire professions will be eliminated. But historically when there are great upheavals and advances such as this, new jobs entirely are created. You do not get this massive group of unemployed. But people need to be adaptable. It is one reason why the US is very very well positioned for this new world. Assuming that we remain mostly as we are. Most of the rest of the world controls the economy from the top down to one degree or another, much more that has been the case here. China especially has banked on that. Having a population which is adaptable will be the key to the next century. We have that. But also historically it has led to unrest and wars because you have a lot of people who are frightened of the changes, displaced from the jobs that they knew.

Second.

As for concentration of wealth, it is a straw man political punching bag. We have a 40% federal estate tax for those over $11 million dollars, so you can make hay while alive but you lose almost half when you die. I might jigger with that and make it at least 50%, but it is a good system. Reward the Bezos's and Bill Gates of the world for creating something, but do not make it a new aristocracy. Very few of the great fortunes of 100 years ago and names remain wealthy. The Vanderbilts who were the crowns of the guilded age ended up pretty much blowing it all in a couple of generations. Most of those families did.

You know damn well the Bezo's and Gates' of the world aren't the idiots paying a 40% estate tax. Not with the loopholes designed for them. Nah, the guy paying 40% is the one who comes from nothing, busts his ass, manages to build 2-3 million in wealth so he can leave his family more than he had, and then after a lifetime of taxing the **** out of him, the government takes another 40% for good measure.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Reactions: Al Smith and KIRK

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
You know damn well the Bezo's and Gates' of the world aren't the idiots paying a 40% estate tax. Not with the loopholes designed for them. Nah, the guy paying 40% is the one who comes from nothing, busts his ass, manages to build 2-3 million in wealth so he can leave his family more than he had, and then after a lifetime of taxing the **** out of him, the government takes another 40% for good measure.

Well that isn't true. The current exemption is $11.58 million, double that if you are married and do a revocable trust.

So we are talking the really rich where it kicks in, which is as it should be. Then it is 40%, which I think is about 10% low.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Well that isn't true. The current exemption is $11.58 million, double that if you are married and do a revocable trust.

So we are talking the really rich where it kicks in, which is as it should be. Then it is 40%, which I think is about 10% low.

Tells you the last time I checked the exemption . . . :laugh:

Well in that case, nobody is paying 40%, because anyone with that kind of money is setting up trusts and utilizing other work arounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->