Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
My wife wants to keep my daughter home (1st Grade) Regardless of what the schools or state says. At least she is young and might have a shot to rebound. As if the US School System wasn’t failing already. Now this mess. Crazy thing is a lot of family and people I know are having kids or are planning to. If I saw this world today 6 years ago there is no way I’d bring a human life into it. This country and world is an absolute dumpster fire of Bylsma Proportions

Reactions: EightyOne

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I said a while ago this world wide crises, like previous world wide challenges, would change us, both short term and long term.

One long term consequence will be speeding up automation, robotics and AI replacing workers.

Along with a raised minimum wage, the stress this pandemic put on places like restaurants, manufacturing, really most businesses, will convince many to automate as many jobs as possible as soon as possible.

Example:

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
More details on the Moderna Phase 3 trials. 30,000 participants, UPMC being one facility with test subjects.

Once the phase three trial is complete, regulators will decide whether or not to approve the vaccine.

Moderna says it will be ready to deliver up to one billion doses per year, beginning next year.

Reactions: ColePens

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I said a while ago this world wide crises, like previous world wide challenges, would change us, both short term and long term.

One long term consequence will be speeding up automation, robotics and AI replacing workers.

Along with a raised minimum wage, the stress this pandemic put on places like restaurants, manufacturing, really most businesses, will convince many to automate as many jobs as possible as soon as possible.

Example:

Having robots do these tasks didn't come about in the past few months obviously
Automation gained serious traction about 7 years ago where everyone asked the question: where are all the workers? I asked that exact question to all my recruiters and no one could come back with a good answer

But like you said this virus is going to accelerate automation concepts. Robots don't expose people to viruses and don't call in sick (mostly).
Consumers are already used to the computer asking the equivalent "do you want fries with that?"
Pretty soon the robots will be taking the entire order and handing you the food

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Having robots do these tasks didn't come about in the past few months obviously
Automation gained serious traction about 7 years ago where everyone asked the question: where are all the workers? I asked that exact question to all my recruiters and no one could come back with a good answer

But like you said this virus is going to accelerate automation concepts. Robots don't expose people to viruses and don't call in sick (mostly).
Consumers are already used to the computer asking the equivalent "do you want fries with that?"
Pretty soon the robots will be taking the entire order and handing you the food

And don't forget back office jobs like customer service, data processing, etc. Chat bots, self service, and other automated processing was already happening. I am sure this will speed up that process. Even some accounting and financial reporting type jobs can be rationalized through automation. The roles themselves will exist, just less of them as automation replaces portions of people's jobs.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
And don't forget back office jobs like customer service, data processing, etc. Chat bots, self service, and other automated processing was already happening. I am sure this will speed up that process. Even some accounting and financial reporting type jobs can be rationalized through automation. The roles themselves will exist, just less of them as automation replaces portions of people's jobs.

It will have growing impact throughout employment. And not just low skilled jobs.

Accounting, Lawyers, Doctors, Nurses, engineers, all will have at least parts of their jobs, so the need for the numbers of jobs, replaced.

Will AI replace lawyers? Assessing the potential of artificial intelligence in legal services

My father is a surgeon and I told him this and he thought the notion ridiculous. I then pointed out to him that much of what he did was algorithms. Run tests to eliminate possibilities of what is causing the symptoms, etc. Why would a computer be less efficient at that?

In fact that will be what finally makes medicine affordable. Someday we will end up with lonely ends, with computerized beds monitoring and caring for us in nursing homes. Lower cost yes, but a sad vision of the future.

That said, with every advance such as this new jobs will be created. But do not expect to remain in the same career forever. Your entire profession could disappear.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
It will have growing impact throughout employment. And not just low skilled jobs.

Accounting, Lawyers, Doctors, Nurses, engineers, all will have at least parts of their jobs, so the need for the numbers of jobs, replaced.

Will AI replace lawyers? Assessing the potential of artificial intelligence in legal services

My father is a surgeon and I told him this and he thought the notion ridiculous. I then pointed out to him that much of what he did was algorithms. Run tests to eliminate possibilities of what is causing the symptoms, etc. Why would a computer be less efficient at that?

In fact that will be what finally makes medicine affordable. Someday we will end up with lonely ends, with computerized beds monitoring and caring for us in nursing homes. Lower cost yes, but a sad vision of the future.

That said, with every advance such as this new jobs will be created. But do not expect to remain in the same career forever. Your entire profession could disappear.

Agreed. The problem will be the concentration of power and wealth will get smaller and smaller. Some big things for governments and institutions to be thinking through in the next few decades. There always are, but it feels like the transformation could be crazy fast.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Agreed. The problem will be the concentration of power and wealth will get smaller and smaller. Some big things for governments and institutions to be thinking through in the next few decades. There always are, but it feels like the transformation could be crazy fast.

Two points on that.

First.

As I said, jobs and entire professions will be eliminated. But historically when there are great upheavals and advances such as this, new jobs entirely are created. You do not get this massive group of unemployed. But people need to be adaptable. It is one reason why the US is very very well positioned for this new world. Assuming that we remain mostly as we are. Most of the rest of the world controls the economy from the top down to one degree or another, much more that has been the case here. China especially has banked on that. Having a population which is adaptable will be the key to the next century. We have that. But also historically it has led to unrest and wars because you have a lot of people who are frightened of the changes, displaced from the jobs that they knew.

Second.

As for concentration of wealth, it is a straw man political punching bag. We have a 40% federal estate tax for those over $11 million dollars, so you can make hay while alive but you lose almost half when you die. I might jigger with that and make it at least 50%, but it is a good system. Reward the Bezos's and Bill Gates of the world for creating something, but do not make it a new aristocracy. Very few of the great fortunes of 100 years ago and names remain wealthy. The Vanderbilts who were the crowns of the guilded age ended up pretty much blowing it all in a couple of generations. Most of those families did.

Reactions: KIRK

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
However, later today they will tell us that 200 of those positives were from the middle of March.

5 deaths is alarming.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
However, later today they will tell us that 200 of those positives were from the middle of March.

5 deaths is alarming.

LOL.

I quote myself because I made a joke, but the joke was that it became true. Almost immediately.

246 cases over two weeks is about 17.5 cases per day. Not great but much better than what we have been worrying over. Five deaths is one every 3 days. Again, not acceptable but not nearly as terrifying as the previous numbers seemed.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
LOL.

I quote myself because I made a joke, but the joke was that it became true. Almost immediately.

246 cases over two weeks is about 17.5 cases per day. Not great but much better than what we have been worrying over. Five deaths is one every 3 days. Again, not acceptable but not nearly as terrifying as the previous numbers seemed.

That's now how this works :laugh:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I always get a little miffed about these things requiring masks starting a future date. Why not start the next damn day? We're months into this thing, we all have something qualifying as a mask by now...why wait the better part of a week when we know what we know? What could possibly be gained by putting it off?

I can only guess but rolls out resistive customer training for employees

Plus...gives their target demo a few days to figure out how to wear a mask

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

There’s probably a lot of truth in your post, although we’ll see about medicine becoming affordable. Sometimes tech makes things cheaper. Of course back in the 50s and 60s we were all going to power houses and everything else with cheap, boundless nuclear energy.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There’s probably a lot of truth in your post, although we’ll see about medicine becoming affordable. Sometimes tech makes things cheaper. Of course back in the 50s and 60s we were all going to power houses and everything else with cheap, boundless nuclear energy.

To be fair, that should have happened. The only reason it didn't was a problem of people being irrationally scared of nuclear power. Which I guess you can also say is true about automation :laugh:

Reactions: Big McLargehuge
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad