Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm actually surprised with how popular DnD is, I hear a bunch of my coworkers talking about it and I don't believe they all play together. I've been tempted to go to one of the DnD sessions on meetup, but then COVID hit.
Yeah it's something I knew my one friend had done way back in the day. He asked me if I wanted to play one day last year and we got a game together with us, our wives, and his brother and cousin online. It was the first half of us had ever played. We also work together, so we were talking about it there. Turns out 2 other people from work were actively playing too, but just didn't talk about it at work. Then we found out another guy was in the process of getting their first game started. And then the new guy we hired also had been playing until his group fell apart recently. So now we have a work game once a month. This is in a lab group of like 9 people. We legit brought dice in to work and rolled our characters there, with all of our stats written out on the lab benches :laugh:

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
seriously. I was playing tons of computer and video games, but even I looked at the D&D kids funny. Now that I've started, I wish I had done it a long time ago. It would have been an awesome thing to do in college.

I played in grade school and a bit in early high school. I kinda dipped out but wish I would have stuck with it. It's not like I WASN'T a nerd. I played friggin Amiga video games.

No time like the present, though.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Likewise.

But Shadowrun was the game of choice for me. Why would you want to be a half-elf mage with magic missle, when you can be an ork with cybernetic modifications to enhance your movement speed to 120 mph and a railgun?

Shadowrun was definitely known at the time. I think some were really into Battletech and Warhammer, too.

I got the remake of Shadowrun a few years back on Steam. Eh... not bad not great.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'm hoping I'm wrong too, I'm moving into my new apartment in mid-June. But I'm almost positive cases are going to skyrocket.

If they do, it'll be young & healthy people at these protests. They'll be fine. Plus these were outdoors.

And good luck in getting another collective rallying cry of "Kumbaya, government and police. Lock us in!" right about now. We aren't going backwards.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Likewise.

But Shadowrun was the game of choice for me. Why would you want to be a half-elf mage with magic missle, when you can be an ork with cybernetic modifications to enhance your movement speed to 120 mph and a railgun?
You are over-complicating things. Why do I need all that when my Half-Orc Barbarian has a big f***ing ax?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

I have some serious concerns that people will properly social distance with the reopenings.

Maybe the departed should give them all a visit....

rr1FMLQ.gif

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
We were a nerd family.

My father bought my brother a TRS 80 Computer in I think 1978 from Radio Shack for if I remember correctly $650. A corvette at that time ( around, 1972) was $6,500 brand new as a comparison. It worked, he is a system analyst for a major utility now. I remember getting the first video game, Pong, that attached to your television from Sears for Christmas 1977 or 1978.

Again, encourage your kids to be nerds. They really did end up doing great things. One of the kids in our D&D group ended up founding a major computer mail order company in California. Others almost all were successful. Surrounding your kids with smart future leaders is never a bad move.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah my dad was a huge tech-head so I grew up on computers. I think I first got online in like 1996.

Funny thing is that they wouldn't buy me a Nintendo because they didn't want me playing video games. So they got a computer for me and my brother instead. Whoops.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mostly missed out on the 64. Though I played updated versions of many of the games because of the Amigas (we owned two 500s and eventually a 3000).

Also I've built every computer I've ever owned and many I didn't. Not such a huge deal now but it was like telling people you could make magic fire come out of your fingertips back then.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I mostly missed out on the 64. Though I played updated versions of many of the games because of the Amigas (we owned two 500s and eventually a 3000).

Also I've built every computer I've ever owned and many I didn't. Not such a huge deal now but it was like telling people you could make magic fire come out of your fingertips back then.
I was able to build a computer as my senior project in high school. It took a little bit of researching parts, then an hour or so to put it all together. But as you said, I apparently seemed like a wizard in my little mountain town.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I was able to build a computer as my senior project in high school. It took a little bit of researching parts, then an hour or so to put it all together. But as you said, I apparently seemed like a wizard in my little mountain town.

When my brother got his Trash 80 in the 1983 (or maybe it was the earlier computer before that), he disappeared into his room for four days. He emerged and proudly showed me what he had been working on. A white ball the size of quarter emerged from the middle of the right side of the screen and slowly traveled across the screen and disappeared on the left side of the screen. Then repeated forever.

He saved the data on a cassette recorder.

He looked at my face and became indignant. "If you understood you would be impressed".

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Yeah I think I put together my first build with my uncle (who was an even bigger nerd than my dad) when I was in 8th or 9th grade. Man... you had to do some SHIT back then to get everything clicking along correctly. Hell... you had to jump through flaming hoops just to get a DOS game running, most times.

Ha... remember when Voodoo cards came out? The idea that there were dedicated 3D and 2D cards kinda blows my mind here in 2020.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah I think I put together my first build with my uncle (who was an even bigger nerd than my dad) when I was in 8th or 9th grade. Man... you had to do some SHIT back then to get everything clicking along correctly. Hell... you had to jump through flaming hoops just to get a DOS game running, most times.

Ha... remember when Voodoo cards came out? The idea that there were dedicated 3D and 2D cards kinda blows my mind here in 2020.
I did this in early 2003. And I'll be honest, I have no idea what parts I used. I barely know the parts I use now. I learn them just well enough to order them, then I plug them together. And when I did mine in 2003, it really wasn't much harder than now. It took a bit more work to make sure you got compatible parts, but I remember using some forum to help me pick the parts. So I am very much not a wizard, I just learned how to use an internet forum for help :laugh:

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I did this in early 2003. And I'll be honest, I have no idea what parts I used. I barely know the parts I use now. I learn them just well enough to order them, then I plug them together. And when I did mine in 2003, it really wasn't much harder than now. It took a bit more work to make sure you got compatible parts, but I remember using some forum to help me pick the parts. So I am very much not a wizard, I just learned how to use an internet forum for help :laugh:

Internet forums helped me a lot then, too. One of the few things on the internet that has been around since the very beginning. A big reason I'm here now, honestly. Forums were the only interesting thing going on back then.

Besides like... nudie pics of Cameron Diaz you had to wait an hour to d/l.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If they do, it'll be young & healthy people at these protests. They'll be fine. Plus these were outdoors.

And good luck in getting another collective rallying cry of "Kumbaya, government and police. Lock us in!" right about now. We aren't going backwards.
I tend to agree. I don't think you can open the tube, then try to put the toothpaste back in.

CascadiaPenguin

Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea

A pair of Voodoo 2's running in scan line interleave changed my world. 3dfx was ahead of its time, R.I.P. .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad