Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
This virus has given guys like Kirk and me an excuse.

We don't hate people, we are merely social distancing. I have been social distancing for a couple of decades because I just knew that this was coming.

2009-09-04-Battle-With-Misanthropy.jpg

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
More baby steps good news.

There was a legitimate question and fear that you would not gain immunity from exposure to the virus and that it could reinfect you. It is good that has not been put to rest.

When you add up how fast these baby and big steps have coming, how many different companies all through the world are working on this, the literally trillions of dollars thrown at this, and the advances we have available such as genetic mapping which were not available even a decade ago, the time frame of a vaccine this fall and treatments this summer seems not only possible, but likely.

At least three labs have said that they are confident of a vaccine this September, and one said initially a million doses.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

To be fair, it may be so. Or may not, we don't know.

One of the remaining huge open questions is if this virus will follow the path of most and wane in the warmer months. If so it buys precious time to discover treatments and the vaccine before things turn cold again and that kind of virus returns with a second wave.

Until we know the answer to that open question, it is foolish to take a chance, I agree. But as I said the underlying issue is more nuanced. If warm weather drives this virus into hibernation for the most part then rules can take that into consideration. Not go back to pre-virus, but it will allow some more ability to grant a bit more freedom to come out from isolation.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I agree with the broader point, Jaded. I wasn't subtweeting you there. :laugh: You just posted before I finished futzing around with the post.

I don't hold out much hope for the warmer weather though-- it seems that in tropical areas with massive social distancing and robust enforcement of public health policy (Taiwan, Vietnam, and to some degree, Singapore) had okay success, only if those norms were followed. Places that didn't-- Spain, Italy-- got rocked.

I don't think Americans are going to follow the norms well enough to mitigate the spread of the virus, but we'll see.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I can only speak anecdotally. I grew up Catholic but spent a phase attending a large Pittsburgh area "born again" type evangelical church. The Catholic church was pretty normal. The priests refreshed once or twice in my lifetime (either retirement or rotations in their service) and so everything seemed pretty normal and level headed. But the born again church was pretty culty. After about a year I had enough of the unhealthy obsession with teen sexuality, the speaking in tongues, the beliefs that the pastor had special abilities, and the politically charged sermons.
I can't speak to your experiences, mine however were decidedly different. I'm not catholic but I did attend a catholic church briefly. To me it was a pretty stoic experience. I've attended several different churches over the years (mostly different protestant denominations). No church I ever attended had a political agenda behind it, or a pastor claim special abilities or that the congregation would buy into that sort of thing anyhow. I'm protestant and in general there's more energy within that type of setting. Not that I want a lot of that, I'm not a rah rah kind of guy. But a bit of energy is better than almost none. And even so I seldom go anymore (it's been years). I have a couple friends who still attend and they tell me it's ''the same as it ever was''.

I myself don't feel the need to garner that level of comfort or support from other people. I have my beliefs and a strong foundation there, I'm happy with that. And I've heard pretty much every sermon under the sun by now. But I can certainly understand the value of being with like minded individuals spiritually.

I would say that if people can go food shopping or go to a store like Lowes or Target, they should be able to attend church. If you need better air circulation install heavy duty fans and open the doors up. Wearing masks and practicing social distancing of course.

Last edited:

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I mean yeah, I could have told you that too :laugh:

That article doesn't really say anything new. I guess it is a little reassuring to know that the chances you get COVID if you only social distance seem to be very low.

but this article.

seems to contradict the thrust of this. i.e. that simply passing the salt shaker from one person to another started the entire pandemic in germany.

Also the studies coming out saying that this is super infectious. Super infectious viruses that have high R values can be transmitted by more ways then just physical contact. So if that yahoo article is true at all, how did the virus spread so quickly?

Heck this guy: NBC doctor, Joseph Fair, recovering in hospital from COVID-19: 'I can barely breathe' :: WRAL.com
he got it on an airplane. He said that he had on a mask, and gloves and took max precautions and near as he can figure a respiratory droplet must have landed on his eye. So I don't get the "Physical Contact as primary means of transmission" implication. Makes it sound like other ways are unlikely when these other stories seem to go contra to that.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It feels like a lot of those "physical contact is the primary transmission method" stories were written by the same "hydroxychloroquine is super effective!" sources. :dunno:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Also the studies coming out saying that this is super infectious. Super infectious viruses that have high R values can be transmitted by more ways then just physical contact. So if that yahoo article is true at all, how did the virus spread so quickly?

I interpreted "physical contact" to mean "close contact", which includes talking to someone up close.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
DUDE! I said the same thing today. :laugh: I couldn't believe my body was cold and it was like 58.
good news! It was perfect out by the time I finished work to go out for a run. The sun even made a quick cameo.

Then my headphones died mid run and I got to listen to myself breath like a dying walrus the rest of the way :cry:

Reactions: ColePens

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Between Covid-19 and the person who decided to heat up (and then explode) his/her lunch consisting of a bean mixture in the third floor microwave of my office building, which is shared by many people, I offer the Tragedy of the Commons....most people know nothing about it and it is worth learning about, especially for those who like to throw around terms like “personal freedom” and “my rights” as a card-carrying American idiot...

Tragedy of the commons - Wikipedia

Reactions: HandshakeLine

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Between Covid-19 and the person who decided to heat up (and then explode) his/her lunch consisting of a bean mixture in the third floor microwave of my office building, which is shared by many people, I offer the Tragedy of the Commons....most people know nothing about it and it is worth learning about, especially for those who like to throw around terms like “personal freedom” and “my rights” as a card-carrying American idiot...

Tragedy of the commons - Wikipedia

That's bad.

But there is TRULY a special place in hell reserved for those that cook FISH at work.

Seriously people WTF?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad