Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Uh the second wave

It is predictable that there will be a percentage that will be idiots about this.

And that is not a red and blue state issue. This video looks like make fun of the fat dumb southerners thing. I could easily take a camera to parts of any city in the north, south, east or west, country or inner city and find similar selfish entitled idiots.

The trouble is that it is going to lead to violence.

The vast majority will practice social distancing, masks, and be very polite and thoughtful of others. But a small percentage of those doing the right thing will meet that small percentage acting like selfish morons and someone is going to get severely beaten up or killed.

Last edited:

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Please tell me this is edited video from an old girls gone wild mixed in with a fake Coronavirus correspondent. Omg please. People cannot be this dumb? :laugh:

Oh wait.. who am I kidding? This is where the evil in me just gives up on society.

Girls Gone Wild. Man that's a flashback to my early college days lol

I kinda felt slimy when it was reported the dude behind it was drugging girls/underage. Yuck

Reactions: ColePens

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
LOL that's dumb and brilliant at the same time

There's a debate on my ice hockey ref page about facemasks and if league administrators are going to mandate for refs.

Everyone is like" uh, how are you going to blow the whistle and communicate to players?"

I mean, telling people to f*** off is pretty easy with a mask on. Plus there's all the hand signals the linesmen do for penalties. It's a pretty silly debate. :laugh:

I will agree it sucks to do any kind of cardio with a mask on, though. I did my first roadwork in 3 months today-- I usually run around 5k, trying to get around ~27 or 28 minutes. Today I did 3.5k in 25 minutes and my hips and feet felt like they were going to collapse, plus sucking air through a mask made me almost want to give up 10 minutes in. I felt like I was 75 years old. :laugh:

Reactions: Shady Machine

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
LOL that's dumb and brilliant at the same time

There's a debate on my ice hockey ref page about facemasks and if league administrators are going to mandate for refs.

Everyone is like" uh, how are you going to blow the whistle and communicate to players?"

Runs in line with that nurse who cut a slit into hers.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
There's problems either way, whether you stay at home or go out and open things up to a large degree. There's no simple solution here.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Speaking of

It's kinda amazing that people are so dumb that they'd go to church during a pandemic. This is ultimately why I don't think we can open everything up and let people police themselves, people aren't smart enough to do it.

I feel like there are some obvious places you shouldn't go to during a pandemic outbreak, places like bars, night clubs, crowded movie theaters and such. Churches are obviously in that group.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Pertaining to Georgia: In a recent report, Johns Hopkins noted to CNN that while the state hasn't seen a spike in coronavirus cases, there also hasn't been a significant decrease in new case counts. New cases have reportedly been “trending unsteadily downward.” There are currently 39,910 confirmed cases of coronavirus and 1,612 related deaths, according to state data.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
It's kinda amazing that people are so dumb that they'd go to church during a pandemic. This is ultimately why I don't think we can open everything up and let people police themselves, people aren't smart enough to do it.

I feel like there are some obvious places you shouldn't go to during a pandemic outbreak, places like bars, night clubs, crowded movie theaters and such. Churches are obviously in that group.

For some, when it comes to going to church, it's not a matter of smart or dumb, it's a matter of faith that they take very seriously and, almost by definition. they aren't acting according to "reason". Not justifying it. It's just the way a lot of people think. I suspect if you asked some of those infected people if they regret going to church and becoming infected, most would say no.

Reactions: The Old Master

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I've toyed around in my head with the idea of universal basic income + a flat sales tax. The major problem with a flat tax is that it's regressive, but a UBI makes that a non issue. You'd need import tariffs to prevent rich people buying things abroad to avoid taxes. You could write the tax code in less than 100 pages.

There isn't much opportunity for graft or special interest lobbying so it will never happen. Nice thought experiment though.

I’m a wealth tax guy. I want to encourage consumption vs hoarding money. Also, low to middle income people pay a higher % of earnings on necessities that require a sales tax vs higher tax earners. Unless the UBI properly accounts for that disparity (sounds like you’ve thought about that), it would be regressive.

Anyway, that’s an interesting thought.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
For some, when it comes to going to church, it's not a matter of smart or dumb, it's a matter of faith that they take very seriously and, almost by definition. they aren't acting according to "reason". Not justifying it. It's just the way a lot of people think. I suspect if you asked some of those infected people if they regret going to church and becoming infected, most would say no.
I'm pretty sure whatever higher power you believe in doesn't want you to infect and potentially kill others with coronavirus.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Many things I do not get. We can't get into religion because that is an absolute no no discussion. But church is literally the one thing YOU CAN DO safely at home. It's 1 or 2 people talking. It literally lends itself to being able to do it at home safely. And in a world where we are 1 click from video/audio/etc... now more than ever it would just be so easy. It blows my mind that this is a thing. But I will not get into any religious talks. That's not for this site. That will spiral downward QUICKLY. But my goodness. Legit one of the main things YOU CAN DO.

And this is what scares me. So... one church now with massive amounts of spread of the disease. On the same day they say it's more people contact rather than surface contact. I find that has to contradict the church scenario. There has to be something to do with surface that all these people ended up sick. Especially now that people are taking precautions with gloves/masks.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I'm pretty sure whatever higher power you believe in doesn't want you to infect and potentially kill others with coronavirus.

I haven't attended church for many decades and am not a religious person, so your smug, condescending remark is misplaced. I was just making the point that many people - especially here in the Bible Belt - are going to go to church whether some think it's dumb, and whether it defies reason, and yes at the risk of becoming sick and getting other sick.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Many things I do not get. We can't get into religion because that is an absolute no no discussion. But church is literally the one thing YOU CAN DO safely at home. It's 1 or 2 people talking. It literally lends itself to being able to do it at home safely. And in a world where we are 1 click from video/audio/etc... now more than ever it would just be so easy. It blows my mind that this is a thing. But I will not get into any religious talks. That's not for this site. That will spiral downward QUICKLY. But my goodness. Legit one of the main things YOU CAN DO.

And this is what scares me. So... one church now with massive amounts of spread of the disease. On the same day they say it's more people contact rather than surface contact. I find that has to contradict the church scenario. There has to be something to do with surface that all these people ended up sick. Especially now that people are taking precautions with gloves/masks.

I am not especially religious. But we attended fairly religious services when I was younger. And even they were very clear that a life trumps any rule. If for instance fasting is the norm you simply are not allowed if it puts your life in danger.

I can not imagine a religion which would not prioritize life over ritual. Nothing is more precious.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Says the sinner who watches Girls Gone Wild.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com

The longer you’re in an area with recycled air and exposure, the worse off you are. It’s why a trip to the grocery store where you’re moving isn’t seen as too risky while sitting and taking in the same air at a place like a church for an hour or more is hazardous.

I know some back woods churches may not have this ability but these days so many churches have online services it’s a shame they’re driving their flock to them for likely one reason only.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Even various church leaders have said you don’t have to attend church. I saw a priest blessing with holy water via a squirt gun. Everything is streamed online.

The only ones seeming to be urging people to buck social distancing are the mega churches.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Reactions: Jaded-Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad