Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
*** I cannot stress this enough. Some political talk is fine, but once we start to show party lines, it's 100% done. This is not a political debate. We can talk about how it affects politics (unemployment, help on the way financially, etc) - but we cannot go into party lines. I will immediately remove you from the thread. There will be no more warnings.***

Instant thread bans will be in play. If you have been removed from a prior thread and removed again - additional discipline will take place.

Also PLEASE READ:

Agree to disagree with people. If you are hell bent on opening up the economy - cool. Support your case and move along. If you are against it - cool. Support your case and move on. This is not a thread to bicker over and over about the same thing. We are all in a new world situation together. There is so much uncertainty and when you sit and try to make definitive points and bicker back and forth, it ruins the thread's purpose.

Reactions: BHD

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Continuing on from the Murder Hornets from the last thread.

Being a carpenter, I have had run ins with every species known here in western PA.

I once had to get a stuck window open to get on a roof not knowing there was a hornets nest up above. Pulling up so hard, when it finally released it slammed up so hard I was attacked and received 6/7 stings running from one room to another. All over. One in my shirt on my back. Another time I got stung on the wrist by a hornet working from a ladder on the front of a house, isolated case, one sting, but a couple weeks later I had a run in with a wasp. Guess where he stung me? Yes....right on top of where the hornet stung me weeks earlier. That one my entire right arm blew up and had to go to the hospital. Most people don't have huge run ins with carpenter bees, but on job I was running some moron built a garage with framing and T1-11 below grade. There was a small yard between the garage and house, and this garage was connected to the house with a utility room/storage area, meaning they built this rear wall the same as the garage. In that yard were plants the carpenter bees liked and were burrowed deep into that confined yard. I framed up temporary walls in the garage and utility room and started to cut out the lower walls up above grade to build proper block walls. The carpenter bees start swarming. No issue yet, ran out without instance. The issue was getting rid of a huge colony of them in this dense plants between the house and garage. Got the huge plants down without too much issue, but trying to eradicate them from their burrow deep in the ground was proving fruitless even after pouring 5 gallons of gas down it's hole. So we pressed on. This area was very difficult to get to from the other side of the house, it was easier to take all these large plants up over the garage roof . This is where I get attacked (of all places) on the garage roof bringing a pair of pruning shears to the guys to finish cutting down the rest of the large plants. Walking from the front of the roof to the back one lonely carpenter bee/Kamikaze flies straight at me without deviating, so my last resort was swinging at him to only miss him and have him bite me on my cheek bone area. No biggie, I think, even though the bite hurt like hell. I pressed on. Later that night my face was swollen on the left side that would emulate Ben Lovejoy's face that one time. Screw 'em, kill 'em all....*Not really*

That's just a few of my encounters.

Most times you never have an issue with Bees, hornets, wasps and carpenter bees until you have to actually deal with them. Giant Murder Hornets... May they never reach western PA.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

Being a carpenter, I have had run ins with every species known here in western PA.

I once had to get a stuck window open to get on a roof not knowing there was a hornets nest up above. Pulling up so hard, when it finally released it slammed up so hard I was attacked and received 6/7 stings running from one room to another. All over. One in my shirt on my back. Another time I got stung on the wrist by a hornet working from a ladder on the front of a house, isolated case, one sting, but a couple weeks later I had a run in with a wasp. Guess where he stung me? Yes....right on top of where the hornet stung me weeks earlier. That one my entire right arm blew up and had to go to the hospital. Most people don't have huge run ins with carpenter bees, but on job I was running some moron built a garage with framing and T1-11 below grade. There was a small yard between the garage and house, and this garage was connected to the house with a utility room/storage area, meaning they built this rear wall the same as the garage. In that yard were plants the carpenter bees liked and were burrowed deep into that confined yard. I framed up temporary walls in the garage and utility room and started to cut out the lower walls up above grade to build proper block walls. The carpenter bees start swarming. No issue yet, ran out without instance. The issue was getting rid of a huge colony of them in this dense plants between the house and garage. Got the huge plants down without too much issue, but trying to eradicate them from their burrow deep in the ground was proving fruitless even after pouring 5 gallons of gas down it's hole. So we pressed on. This area was very difficult to get to from the other side of the house, it was easier to take all these large plants up over the garage roof . This is where I get attacked (of all places) on the garage roof bringing a pair of pruning shears to the guys to finish cutting down the rest of the large plants. Walking from the front of the roof to the back one lonely carpenter bee/Kamikaze flies straight at me without deviating, so my last resort was swinging at him to only miss him and have him bite me on my cheek bone area. No biggie, I think, even though the bite hurt like hell. I pressed on. Later that night my face was swollen on the left side that would emulate Ben Lovejoy's face that one time. Screw 'em, kill 'em all....*Not really*

Most times you never have an issue with Bees, hornets, wasps and carpenter bees until you have to actually deal with them. Giant Murder Hornets... May they never reach western PA.
I know all about these Giant Asian Hornets. My long time friend Brian taught english in Japan for nearly a decade, he encountered these things first hand. There was a rotted log in an area about 50 yards from where he was staying, it was in high grass and he got too close. Well he got stung eight or nine times, had to go to the hospital there. Nearly died. Whenever he gets sentimental and talks about his time in the far east, he brings up these hornets. His GF was walking with him and also got stung (not as much) but had to go to the hospital. Seven times the venom of a honey bee each. Worst pain and most terrifying experience of his life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

dude, I have a new appreciation for you....

Reactions: Factorial

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I know all about these Giant Asian Hornets. My long time friend Brian taught english in Japan for nearly a decade, he encountered these things first hand. There was a rotted log in an area about 50 yards from where he was staying, it was in high grass and he got too close. Well he got stung eight or nine times, had to go to the hospital there. Nearly died. Whenever he gets sentimental and talks about his time in the far east, he brings up these hornets. His GF was walking with him and also got stung (not as much) but had to go to the hospital. Seven times the venom of a honey bee each. Worst pain and most terrifying experience of his life.

Glad to here they didn't circum to them. Nasty creatures.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Glad to here they didn't circum to them. Nasty creatures.
My buddy now resides near Portland, we talked about this last night. He thinks he's being followed. lol

These hornets have a very bad attitude, they'll even cannibalize another nest. They'll attack small birds also.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

I'm not sure where I heard this, but I was told "Carpenter bees don't sting"

Well I guess I should not believe everything I was told a long long time ago...yikes

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Well I guess I should not believe everything I was told a long long time ago...yikes

Yes. They don't sting or have stingers.
As I stated, he bit me. Those guys chew through wood with their mandibles and the reason they are called Carpenter Bees.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I've lived in harmony with carpenter bees for a decade or more. They burrow in the 2x2s of my roof dek every season like clockwork. Had to replace a few studs, but whatever. I know how to be rid of them, but I like having them around and understand how important they are to nature.

Cleaning up after them gets kind of annoying, but whatever.

They hover all around me when I grill and I leave them bee and they leave me be.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I stepped in a ground bee nest back when I was doing landscaping and got some ridiculous number of stings/bites whatever down my leg. That shit burned like hell and I felt sick for a few days.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Opinion | Targeted Lockdowns Are Better

This is what I always believed in: targeted lockdowns

For instance, why is the ENTIRE state of MI under the same guidelines when the major issues are in 2 specific counties?
Same thing in NY where NYC is bombarded, but Albany is essentially unscathed.

Feel like the Gov's should start mandating what counties should remain under more stringent orders vs others.

If you're in a susceptible county, then there should be a strong police presence enforcing things. If you're not, then use a common sense approach of wearing a mask if you go out.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I've lived in harmony with carpenter bees for a decade or more. They burrow in the 2x2s of my roof dek every season like clockwork. Had to replace a few studs, but whatever. I know how to be rid of them, but I like having them around and understand how important they are to nature.

Cleaning up after them gets kind of annoying, but whatever.

They hover all around me when I grill and I leave them bee and they leave me be.

I think this is most of peoples dealings with them. Including me. One isolated infestation doesn't mean eradicating them from the earth. I was kind of shocked at the numbers and that they were in the ground though. Weird/rare case that I think the plants had reasoning for them being there. They were a shoot like plant I think are what are called Japanese Knotweed. They flower late in the season and reasoning I think they made a carpenter bee metropolis there. The area was rather small, but fully engulfed with this plant (7') wide by the length of the garage (20').

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It's hard to know what to believe. But I do believe if you get attacked by the murder hornets and get stung multiple times, you will suffer. And suffer mightily!

Conversely There are people who contract the virus and don't even know they have it. The vast majority of individuals who contract it have very little in the way of difficulty.

Ideally I wouldn't want to encounter either, But I'm not a big fan of these Giant hornets, the Box Jellyfish, the Fierce snake or Giant centipedes. The Fierce snake is said to be able to inject enough venom to kill 100 people with ONE bite. Coincidentally I'll be sending you a few packages in the mail with breathing holes in them. Don't be alarmed.

Please PM me your address.

Reactions: Clare2904

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think this is most of peoples dealings with them. Including me. One isolated infestation doesn't mean eradicating them from the earth. I was kind of shocked at the numbers and that they were in the ground though. Weird/rare case that I think the plants had reasoning for them being there. They were a shoot like plant I think are what are called Japanese Knotweed. They flower late in the season and reasoning I think they made a carpenter bee metropolis there. The area was rather small, but fully engulfed with this plant (7') wide by the length of the garage (20').

My daughter has a huge fear of bees that just started for who knows why... and she refuses to use the dek entrance to access the backyard and will go all the way through the basement.

I keep telling her that if you don’t mess with bees, they leave you alone. She thinks they are out to get her though...

My dad had a f***ed up run in with a bee, not sure what kind though. He was working on his cottage alone yrs back and when he had a drink through a straw, he sucked a bee right into his throat and it stung him.

His cottage is like 30 mins from the local hospital and he had to drive himself there in a panic.

He said his throat locked up and doubled in size by the time he got to the hospital.

I think they gave him Benadryl or something, but he said he thought he was done.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It's hard to know what to believe. But I do believe if you get attacked by the murder hornets and get stung multiple times, you will suffer. And suffer mightily!

Conversely There are people who contract the virus and don't even know they have it. The vast majority of individuals who contract it have very little in the way of difficulty.

Ideally I wouldn't want to encounter either, But I'm not a big fan of these Giant hornets, the Box Jellyfish, the Fierce snake or Giant centipedes. The Fierce snake is said to be able to inject enough venom to kill 100 people with ONE bite. Coincidentally I'll be sending you a few packages in the mail with breathing holes in them. Don't be alarmed.

Please PM me your address.

Lol...the murder hornet has only caused like 50 deaths a year...besides deaths with Covid, even if you get it and are hospitalized and survive, there are people now needing dialysis for life, or who have had strokes, lung damage etc...who knows yet if these are permanent effects but I’d rather take my chance with a canister of Raid and a hornet...

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Lol...the murder hornet has only caused like 50 deaths a year...besides deaths with Covid, even if you get it and are hospitalized and survive, there are people now needing dialysis for life, or who have had strokes, lung damage etc...who knows yet if these are permanent effects but I’d rather take my chance with a canister of Raid and a hornet...
You might not die from their sting, but it'll hurt very very badly.

In the area of the country in which you live, you may face both scenarios. If so please let me know which is worse.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

The fact Ryder is an expert on all things murder hornet leaves me less than shocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->