OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Part VI (NO RIOT/PROTEST DISCUSSION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Travel From New York City Seeded Wave of U.S. Outbreaks

The majority of the cases in the entire country came from NYC, after coming from Europe, after coming from China. It comes back to not closing the city and people saying it is safe to go out when they clearly did not know that cause all of this.

The video of DeBlasio and Oxiris Barbot telling people to go out should be played on loop over and over again.

Reactions: Barnaby and bl02

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
NYC being the root cause of other areas major outbreaks isn’t terribly surprising

I have multiple friends in the city that left to go “home” in early March to places like Texas, and Florida

People were so desperate to not get sick they brought it with them to other places

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
779760A6-8393-47F5-9234-8C8940B0710C.jpeg

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
TSD: Would you describe this mechanism as populations achieving herd immunity?

ML: You don’t actually have to infect everybody, depending on how fast the virus grows. Some people say 80% [of the population needs to develop antibodies], some people say 60%. I personally think it’s less than 30%. And some people are saying we’re never going to get herd immunity. I don’t think so.

TSD: Why not?

ML: There have been maybe five or six situations where there was massive infection, including on the Diamond Princess cruise ship or provinces in Italy. You will find that the final death count is something like a tenth of a percent of the population. You could say that each of these places stopped because they had wonderful social distancing, or we can simply say they stopped because there was no one left to infect. We will know in a few weeks the answer to this question because of what happens in [places that haven't shut down]. ... we will know that they’ve reached herd immunity, and we didn’t need to do any kind of lockdown. My own feeling is that it will probably stop because of herd immunity. COVID is serious, it’s at least a serious flu. But it’s not going to destroy humanity as people thought.

https://www.stanforddaily.com/2020/...-19-curve-could-be-naturally-self-flattening/

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Now they're saying that frontline medical workers are showing a lower infection rate than the general population.

Honestly doesn't surprise me. They're extremely careful and know everything there is to know about not getting infected.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Now they're saying that frontline medical workers are showing a lower infection rate than the general population.

Honestly doesn't surprise me. They're extremely careful and know everything there is to know about not getting infected.

It means face masks and covering and sanitizer do work. It’s the careless people who don’t use precautions. I want to get back to normal like anyone else but I’m willing to take precautions like wearing a face cover and use sanitizer wherever I go. If everyone takes one or two more steps of inconvenience we can get back to opening things. But people as a whole are ignorant and dumb, sadly.

Did we stop air travel after 9-11? No just took precautions and still do to this day.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It means face masks and covering and sanitizer do work. It’s the careless people who don’t use precautions. I want to get back to normal like anyone else but I’m willing to take precautions like wearing a face cover and use sanitizer wherever I go. If everyone takes one or two more steps of inconvenience we can get back to opening things. But people as a whole are ignorant and dumb, sadly.
A lot of people are, but I think I see enough people out there doing the right things that we'll be able to manage it. I believe in New Yorkers especially.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
than sliding over when a stranger is walking down the sidewalk..

In case the rest of the world isn't clear about my disdain, I always make sure to scrunch my face like they smell before I do my little slide over

Last edited:

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Travel From New York City Seeded Wave of U.S. Outbreaks

The majority of the cases in the entire country came from NYC, after coming from Europe, after coming from China. It comes back to not closing the city and people saying it is safe to go out when they clearly did not know that cause all of this.

The video of DeBlasio and Oxiris Barbot telling people to go out should be played on loop over and over again.

Supposedly everyone coming into NYC from Europe was supposed to be tested and quarantined, if positive. That was a statement from Trump. It never happened.

Reactions: eco's bones

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Supposedly everyone coming into NYC from Europe was supposed to be tested and quarantined, if positive. That was a statement from Trump. It never happened.

Yup, all Trump's fault. Good job on that one.

Please tell me where I said he did everything correct. Your response to me saying NYC leadership f***ed up is that Trump did. Those are not mutually exclusive, they can both f*** up. The mayor of SF was telling people to not go out and gather in crowds on the same day as DeBlasio telling everyone they have nothing to worry about.

Infection rates in those two cities tell me exactly what I already knew about the mayor and the people he appoints. They are clueless and they do not care about the people they are supposed to. Dude couldn't handle a 3 inch snow storm in November correctly, so I'm not surprised at the incompetence that comes from city hall.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So just got this survey from Universal Studios in Orlando since I’m a pass holder. Basically asking what I would feel comfortable with or not, Some of their suggestions which I had to rate my comfortable level ...

50% capacity

No large lines with people crowded together, would be virtual on their app, can freely walk in and out of the park and would return when your time is ready. Lines would be 6 feet apart.

Use of face masks, gloves, and prescreened temperatures for all employees.

Guests strongly recommended to use face coverings and they would provide gloves, Masks and sanitizer for each park entry.

Also, Guest pre-screen temperature checks before you enter.

I bring this up because sporting events are Likely going to follow similar precautions if they want to re-open soon.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Nobody knew what this was or the extent of the threat.

I think the point about Trump is that it's May 7th and he clearly still doesn't get it.

I can definitely understand all of that. Nobody really thought that this would be nearly what it is and has been.

Here's the difference: For whatever reason, people think that DeBlasio and Cuomo did well in response, while Trump did not. That does not make any sense. There isn't much nuance here for this. It's either nobody saw this coming or everyone f***ed up, but here we are with this:

Makes. No. Sense.

Except that all the fluff pieces for how Cuomo is doing definitely help him. He did not do well. Nobody did well. You can't tell by how things are covered.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
So just got this survey from Universal Studios in Orlando since I’m a pass holder. Basically asking what I would feel comfortable with or not, Some of their suggestions which I had to rate my comfortable level ...

50% capacity

No large lines with people crowded together, would be virtual on their app, can freely walk in and out of the park and would return when your time is ready. Lines would be 6 feet apart.

Use of face masks, gloves, and prescreened temperatures for all employees.

Guests strongly recommended to use face coverings and they would provide gloves, Masks and sanitizer for each park entry.

Also, Guest pre-screen temperature checks before you enter.

I bring this up because sporting events are Likely going to follow similar precautions if they want to re-open soon.
Disney is opening their Shanghai park in the next few weeks under similar precautions

No one allowed in without a reservation, a fraction of the amount of people. I read somewhere Shanghai would clear them for 30% of max capacity but that they’re doing even less

If Disney has success with Shanghai, almost assuredly other places will follow suit

Reactions: Leonardo87

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I can definitely understand all of that. Nobody really thought that this would be nearly what it is and has been.

Here's the difference: For whatever reason, people think that DeBlasio and Cuomo did well in response, while Trump did not. That does not make any sense. There isn't much nuance here for this. It's either nobody saw this coming or everyone f***ed up, but here we are with this:

Makes. No. Sense.

Except that all the fluff pieces for how Cuomo is doing definitely help him. He did not do well. Nobody did well. You can't tell by how things are covered.

But the thing is, again, it's not really about initial responses. Yes, all of the initial stuff was bad.

But right now, today, Cuomo is taking it very seriously. De Blasio is taking it very seriously. There are valid criticisms of how they're still handling it, in particular De Blasio. That being said, it goes a long way to assure people who are afraid that you have some kind of plan, even if it's flawed.

Trump doesn't have a plan. He doesn't want one because he doesn't really care. He's now threatening to disband the task force, he's criticizing the CDC, he pulled funding from the WHO, and he's criticizing the governors who he told to manage this themselves and supported protests against them. He's outbidding states for resources and then sending them elsewhere. He's actively fighting the entire nation on this every step of the way. To what end, I don't know -surely something that puts money in his pocket- but he's straight up siding with the virus at this point. It goes way beyond incompetence.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
The one thing I'm taking from all of this is my new found paranoia every time I develop the sniffles and have a dry throat.
Of course being well into May and still seeing snow can't alleviate much of the cold symptoms...

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

Makes. No. Sense.

It makes sense when you stop and think about what a leader’s actual role is. No one is defending Deblasio. The guy is a shit show. That’s like the one universally agreed upon thing in this country right now.

People’s problem with Trump continues to be his rhetoric and attitude. His supporters love the fact that he is basically a WWE heel in the White House. It’s fun, and funny, to stick it to the libs. That goes out the window in the face of a crisis though, or should go out the window, but Trump doesn’t know how or care to shift gears.

Calling it a hoax (he did). Publicizing miracle cures. Antagonizing political enemies. There is no time for that nonsense right now. None.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Cuomo has used a transparent, facts-based approach, which is a foreign concept to Trump.

An even starker contrast between the two is that Cuomo is capable of expressing empathy in an extraordinarily difficult time for NY. Not only has Trump failed to express any empathy, but he actually criticized and blamed New Yorkers and threatened to withhold federal help.

That's not to say that Cuomo hasn't had his shortcomings throughout this crisis. But standing up and fighting for fellow New Yorkers goes a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->