OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Part VI (NO RIOT/PROTEST DISCUSSION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I've spoken to others who've had similar experiences and they also were told its possible that the sensations were brought on by stress or anxiety. The best thing you can do is demand a head scan. The doctors will give you a run around and will try make $ on your visits and referrals. Don't waste your time and money. I had to fight my insurance company to allow me to get the scan because they were deeming the symptoms unnecessary for a scan. My primary Dr. thought that was ridiculous. Don't take no for an answer. This is what you pay health insurance for. There is incredible equipment out there that should be utilized. This isnt the 17th century. Make use of it. Cut right to the chase and get the scans you need to give you peace of mind and make sure you are ok. Very good chance that it is nothing, but you can drive yourself crazy, lose sleep and actually make the symptoms worse if you don't.
That's true and I certainly understand his point. But at the same time, who do you think is investing in the equipment and gets paid when you use it? There is an inherent conflict of interest in most of these referrals. Doctors don't refer you to the most convenient one for you but rather to the one they're invested in "affiliated" with. That being said, if you feel strongly about it you should definitely push back since an insurance company's gut reaction in these cases will almost always be to say no but may relent when challenged.

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
The first nurse I dealt with took my temperature and said I had a fever even though I saw the temperature myself and it was only 97.9, she then told me to follow this other nurse. She led me to what appeared to be the Covid Unit, and she started asking me questions about having a cough, chest pain, shortness of breath, etc I said no to everything and she was like then why did you come here? I then told her about my symptoms (which she had no idea I had, even though the receptionist was inputting everything I had on the computer) I asked if I was sent to the wrong part of the hospital or something because I had no worry about having Covid at all. I then heard her speaking with another nurse outside the glass room I was in and I heard one say to the other “He has no covid symptoms” and the other saying something about needing to get their test numbers up, so they came back and did the Covid Swab on me. HOLY MOLY it hurt lmao I was expecting it to be a cotton swab they just wipe the inside of my mouth with, but they shoved this thing so far up my nose I didn’t even know it could go that far!

:)
They do this to substantiate the test for Covid. I have heard of people who were clear no fever but doctor wrote fever to get the test. Bottom line is you will have to get a CT or MRI/MRA just for objective info on whether there is anything.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I just heard on WFAN that yesterday was the first day since March 12th that there were no new Covid deaths in NYC!

That’s good news, could see outdoor dining and curbside retail in the city in a couple of weeks, if things stay on track. Sadly some NYC business owners have to recover from the pandemic and the riots/looting.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
That’s good news, could see outdoor dining and curbside retail in the city in a couple of weeks, if things stay on track. Sadly some NYC business owners have to recover from the pandemic and the riots/looting.

I heard early July for phase 2, maybe they can move it up, but I doubt it.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I heard early July for phase 2, maybe they can move it up, but I doubt it.

I think it’s 2 weeks after phase 1. We are entering phase 2 on Tuesday in Mid-Hudson. So if the city stays on track would be June 22nd?

I think getting to phase 2 to 3 will be a bigger challenge, things won’t be fully open but can at least do things in some limit capacity like going out to eat or going into a store to shop.

Phase 3 to 4 yeah that’s going to be really tough.

Reactions: NYSPORTS and bl02

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think it’s 2 weeks after phase 1. We are entering phase 2 on Tuesday in Mid-Hudson. So if the city stays on track would be June 22nd?

I think getting to phase 2 to 3 will be a bigger challenge, things won’t be fully open but can at least do things in some limit capacity like going out to eat or going into a store to shop.

Phase 3 to 4 yeah that’s going to be really tough.

Well, I think that's what Deblasio said. But, outdoor seating in restaurants is great. I can't wait to do that and get a haircut.

Reactions: Leonardo87

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I was told that phase 2 allows for outdoor seatings at restaurants but then I googled it and that might not be the case. Does anyone know?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I was told that phase 2 allows for outdoor seatings at restaurants but then I googled it and that might not be the case. Does anyone know?

In New Jersey it does (June 15th hopefully). Phase 2 will allow outdoor seating but if I read correctly NYC isn't even on phase 1 until monday. So if all goes well add another 2 weeks on top of that?

Deleted member 23124

Well, I think that's what Deblasio said. But, outdoor seating in restaurants is great. I can't wait to do that and get a haircut.
Maybe it's just me, but I never found outdoor restaurant eating very appealing.

Reactions: Barnaby

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Some of my family went back down and they had no issues and no one asked them questions. Plus Florida is like in phase 3 or one of their later phases. I think if you have residence they leave you alone.

Hmm, idk. Read it was anybody who traveled from the tri-state area. They are certainly ahead of us in phases. I have a place in Boca. Feel like jumping in a car and staying down there for a while. Have fun

Reactions: egelband

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

All I know if that these protests are happening and the medical field is getting involved directly in the protests can honestly go f*** themselves. Guess those stay home so we can stay safe messages were a bunch of shit.

These people literally told families that they cannot have more than 5 people at a funeral for people that died from COVID and now are standing in the street with 1000s of people at a time.

Families literally could not say goodbye to loved ones for the last time in the hospital and now they are having events outside of those very hospitals where people were told to go away and drop their parents/grandparents off to essentially die in. People died alone out of the "safety of others".

If there is a spike in cases and deaths because of these protests, I hope they all get called grandma killers like anyone else was that wanted to have more things open recently. It won't happen, but every grieving family should be shown these images of medical personnel in PPE standing outside hospitals shoulder to shoulder with people while in the middle of a pandemic and see what their reaction is.

Deleted member 23124

Depends on where you are. Rooftops/anywhere close to a body of water are awesome spots.

But on some crowded street on W 79th? Yeah f*** that.
I would say about any sidewalk dining area....as a matter of fact I do....I walk by and wonder how they can stand it. I'm a lifelong NYer and it troubles me.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

All I know if that these protests are happening and the medical field is getting involved directly in the protests can honestly go f*** themselves. Guess those stay home so we can stay safe messages were a bunch of shit.

These people literally told families that they cannot have more than 5 people at a funeral for people that died from COVID and now are standing in the street with 1000s of people at a time.

Families literally could not say goodbye to loved ones for the last time in the hospital and now they are having events outside of those very hospitals where people were told to go away and drop their parents/grandparents off to essentially die in. People died alone out of the "safety of others".

If there is a spike in cases and deaths because of these protests, I hope they all get called grandma killers like anyone else was that wanted to have more things open recently. It won't happen, but every grieving family should be shown these images of medical personnel in PPE standing outside hospitals shoulder to shoulder with people while in the middle of a pandemic and see what their reaction is.

White people viewing virtue-signaling as more important than public health, news at 11.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Between 2013 and 2019 48 unarmed black people have been killed on average every year by cops. Corona in 3 months has killed over 20,000 black people. Unfortunately, Covid has targeted the black community at a much higher rate than the white community. Covid has resulted in over 1,000 years worth of death by police brutality. Meanwhile, we have healthcare workers in the Bronx who likely are in an area with a large black population and who will need to be healthy themselves to treat said population, protesting and thinking they're somehow doing a good thing. I'm not minimizing police brutality, it has an impact that is far greater than the death toll suggests, but come on this is absolutely preposterous. We need to get our priorities in order here.

Edit: I think over 400 years is less confusing because I compared a year's worth of Covid. So 3 months is equal to over 400 years of police brutality.

Last edited:

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The virus was an act of God. The lockdowns weren't. Insurance companies would weasel right out of that.

If companies don't keep enough cash on hand to cover their own business interruption losses, how could it be expected that a handful of insurance companies have enough to cover every policyholders' BI losses at the same time? Insurance companies have reserve requirements but not enough for something like this. All this to say, it's not likely that many commercial policies were written to cover this risk. There are a lot of coronavirus-adjacent provisions, such as business interruption coverage, civil authority coverage, and communicable disease coverage. There will be litigation. The standard forms (i.e. boilerplate terms used in 99% of policies) likely did not contemplate coverage for business interruption caused by widespread government-ordered closure. It would put insurance companies at insolvency risk. We're actually now seeing the industry create new forms contemplating limited BI coverage in connection with government-ordered closures, which will go to market soon.

Last edited:

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
If companies don't keep enough cash on hand to cover their own business interruption losses, how could it be expected that a handful of insurance companies have enough to cover every policyholders' BI losses at the same time? Insurance companies have reserve requirements but not enough for something like this. All this to say, it's not likely that many commercial policies were written to cover this risk. There are a lot of coronavirus-adjacent provisions, such as business interruption coverage, civil authority coverage, and communicable disease coverage. There will be litigation. The standard forms (i.e. boilerplate terms used in 99% of policies) likely did not contemplate coverage for business interruption caused by widespread government-ordered closure. It would put insurance companies at insolvency risk. We're actually now seeing the industry create new forms contemplating limited BI coverage in connection with government-ordered closures, which will go to market soon.

Usually that's what reinsurance companies are for to reinsure the insurance companies when they have to pay out much more money than expected due to a natural disaster for example. But you're right, usually unless specifically included in the contract, business closure due to a pandemic will not be covered by a standard insurance.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
Public Health officials and Civil Rights activists have been preparing their whole lives for these type of events, and they just so happen to intersect. You just can’t win sometimes.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
We were doing so well as a Country flatting the curve all for it to be thrown out the window these last 2 weeks. Fully expecting cases/deaths to skyrocket and another stay at home quarantine around July. Absolutely insane how everything just went right out the window and the politicians supported the complete lack of self distances and preventive measures recently. They will do anything that gives them the votes i guess.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We were doing so well as a Country flatting the curve all for it to be thrown out the window these last 2 weeks. Fully expecting cases/deaths to skyrocket and another stay at home quarantine around July. Absolutely insane how everything just went right out the window and the politicians supported the complete lack of self distances and preventive measures recently. They will do anything that gives them the votes i guess.

After they are allowing these Protests. All business should be allowed to open. At least they can control and follow precautions unlike these mass gatherings that have little control of social distance. That to me is safer, to re-open businesses, and will help get the economy going again.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I can only imagine if we George Floyd were killed in mid-March we'd have 200k dead instead of 100k and 40k black people dead instead of 20k. But privileged white people would have "woke" bragging rights.

Reactions: Lias Andersson

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
When I think about modernizing police departments I don't think in terms of riot control strategies or giving them tanks, armored cars or military hardware. Some people might not know it but rubber bullets were first used in Northern Ireland during the troubles by the British Army and the forces of a police state to wage war on their own population. Police should never be waging war against their own taxpayers and some people can call rubber/plastic bullets non-lethal all they like but there are 17 people who were killed in Northern Ireland during the troubles by rubber bullets. What they are is less lethal than real ammo but still with potential to be lethal. My idea of modernizing or reforming really begins with returning to community policing--forcing out problem actors--those who won't conform to standards and anyone thinking they're above the law because they wear a badge are problem actors. Anyway I get this thing with George Floyd--that was murder plain and simple and this has been happening way too often to people of color and it's got to stop--so all the power to those who protest. It's unfortunate that two of those involved were trainees with less than 4 days on the job. Something tells me that maybe those two should get a break--the other two however......

All that said I'm not going anywhere except once in a while to the grocery store and that's alright especially if you're an older retired duffer like me. There's no reason for me in these times to be running around more than necessary.

Reactions: egelband

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
No doubt that COVID will spike after this and the protesting could do better for protection/social distancing/etc....

But the fight against police brutality and for black lives is more important and these protests are the right choice.

Larrydavid.gif

Gun to my head, and I'm not black, I'd rather be on the streets everyday fighting for my rights as a human and risk infection rather than staying indoors and not being able to effectively fight for my rights but staying safe from infection.

It's also hard to have your mask on when the police rip it off to pepper spray you or beat you senseless, but that's not for this thread topic...

Reactions: GoAwayStaal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad