Coronavirus and WHC

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Finland will be a champion for two years.
There was a good chance that would've happened regardless! Especially if Nashville didn't make the playoffs (Rinne and Jaros). Plus Jets, Canes and Rangers were all hanging by a thread... could've been a stacked team.

From an Oiler perspective, I was hoping Jesse P would make the team and be outstanding.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I read that Fasel is meeting the Swiss governement on Monday. Ban is currently until the 30th April. So there would be time.

IIHF is meeting on Tuesday when they'll have to decide if they want to cancel now or wait until Mid-April.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Hypothetically: when the outbreak is under control in the middle of April (end), how fast could be the team ready for WCH?

2 Weeks training and here we go. Eventually also without NHL players.

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
Hypothetically: when the outbreak is under control in the middle of April (end), how fast could be the team ready for WCH?

2 Weeks training and here we go. Eventually also without NHL players.
The way the public is acting here in Switzerland the outbreak sure as hell isn't going to be under control til middle of April. As much as it pains me to say, I don't have any hope for the WCH anymore.

Reactions: Speyer

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Fasel was on Swiss television yesterday, he said that he wants to have a decision until end of the week. Which means it will be cancelled.

And I agree with @BlizzardSloth , not a lot of people have realized how serious this is.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
The way the public is acting here in Switzerland the outbreak sure as hell isn't going to be under control til middle of April. As much as it pains me to say, I don't have any hope for the WCH anymore.

Ski Resorts were staying open even if it was illegal, people partying on the lake or at their home like nothing happened and a lot of restaurants/sclubs were not implementing the 50 person limitation at all. I have never thought I would have to say this but I hope the FC will declare martial law today and enforce it because people wont wake the f*** up otherwise.

The WC is not happening in any case this year and we are lucky if we can see NLA hockey this fall. Fasel should just call it a day and try to postpone the tournament to next year or the year after that.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Fasel was on Swiss television yesterday, he said that he wants to have a decision until end of the week. Which means it will be cancelled.

And I agree with @BlizzardSloth , not a lot of people have realized how serious this is.

Even Kummola is very skeptical of the tournament happening. Countries are in such a lock down mode with restrictions on travelling, they couldn't get barely any teams.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Very unlikely [for WHC to be canceled] I think.

There's one confirmed case in southern Switzerland (Ticino) as far as I know and our sport leagues are still going on and will continue as they mentioned in a statement today. Also the public and the government don't seem to panic and everything goes on as usual.

:biglaugh:No further comment necessary, I think – only 20 days between the two posts by our friend @BlizzardSloth.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Kummola confirmed that the tournament will not be played. The only reason it hasn't been officially announced is money. IIHF wants its money.

Kalervo Kummola vahvistaa ettei jääkiekon MM-kisoja pelata – selittää, miksi turnausta ei ole virallisesti peruttu

Just to clarify, if the Swiss authorities cancel the tournament, then IIHF will be covered by an insurance company. If IIHF cancels it themselves, then they won't get the insurance money. And the money is huge.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Just to clarify, if the Swiss authorities cancel the tournament, then IIHF will be covered by an insurance company. If IIHF cancels it themselves, then they won't get the insurance money. And the money is huge.
Thanks, I didn't know how to translate that part.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Now officially cancelled. If we play 2021 in Switzerland (and move all following countries one year back) the IIHF congress has to discuss.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Like I posted last week, team GB had been told previously that the games were off and it does sound like it was coming down to money.

I go every year and so do a lot of people the IIHF now will now have to refund a lot of money. I think they were holding off on cancelling and were hoping that the Swiss government would cancel it. I think the IIHF was hoping to Swiss guv would make the decision and they then would tell people to go to the travel insurance to get their money back but the Swiss guv made it clear the decision was going to have to be the IIHF.

sad the games have been cancelled because it now causes problems as Swiss hockey federation was gearing up to toss the party of the year. Now what happens? The Swiss paid their dues and earned the right to host. I know that there was a suggestion of moving Swiss to next year and bumping all championship hosts countries by a year but it sounds like both Latvia and Belerus made it clear that they were not willing to move their host year.

but by all games at different levels being cancelled it makes life a lot easier for the IIHF in 2021
Both Latvia and Belarus were to be in the 2020 games (belerus got promoted from the DIV I)--as hosts of the 2021 games their spots were for sure meaning that neither could get relegated this year meaning that a team that had qualified to stay up would in fact get relegated back to Div I and being in the top level of the world champions does have Olympic ramifications and other fun stuff

If they keep the divisions as is--I believe Canada will now play in Minsk in 2021

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Like I posted last week, team GB had been told previously that the games were off and it does sound like it was coming down to money.

I go every year and so do a lot of people the IIHF now will now have to refund a lot of money. I think they were holding off on cancelling and were hoping that the Swiss government would cancel it. I think the IIHF was hoping to Swiss guv would make the decision and they then would tell people to go to the travel insurance to get their money back but the Swiss guv made it clear the decision was going to have to be the IIHF.

sad the games have been cancelled because it now causes problems as Swiss hockey federation was gearing up to toss the party of the year. Now what happens? The Swiss paid their dues and earned the right to host. I know that there was a suggestion of moving Swiss to next year and bumping all championship hosts countries by a year but it sounds like both Latvia and Belerus made it clear that they were not willing to move their host year.

but by all games at different levels being cancelled it makes life a lot easier for the IIHF in 2021
Both Latvia and Belarus were to be in the 2020 games (belerus got promoted from the DIV I)--as hosts of the 2021 games their spots were for sure meaning that neither could get relegated this year meaning that a team that had qualified to stay up would in fact get relegated back to Div I and being in the top level of the world champions does have Olympic ramifications and other fun stuff

If they keep the divisions as is--I believe Canada will now play in Minsk in 2021

Already covered: Coronavirus and WHC

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
OF COURSE Corona had to happen in 2020.

Zurich stadium is 30min from my home.
Lausanne stadium is 60-75min from my work.

I already bought tickets for a total of almost $1000. Yes, I know in NA this tournament isn't worth anything, but for us Europeans it's easier to see NHLers like this than crossing the pond.

And of course all hosts are chosen until 2025, so I gotta wait another 6 years. Unless, somehow, the IIHF decides Switzerland in 2021 and all others moved back by one year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad