Coronavirus and WHC

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Fasel said that if the NHL is playing their 19/20 playoffs this fall it would be a possibility to play the IHWC 2021 in June 2021.

If I get that correctly the IIHF congress will decide where the tournament is played. Switzerland would need to convince half of the members that it's the best thing to move everything one year back.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
Fasel said that if the NHL is playing their 19/20 playoffs this fall it would be a possibility to play the IHWC 2021 in June 2021.

Where did he say that?

I'd like to see it since I'm trying to decide what to do with my plane ticket. Given all the uncertainty surrounding the event and the situation as a whole, the more information the better.

member 305909

Imagine if this were the year of the winter Olympics. They would probably have been held in February as the crisis only escalated March.

That would have been catastrophic.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
sounds like the Swiss are taking the high ground over losing this years games. Sounds like the IIHF tried to get everyone to move by one year but some countries said no as they had plans already in motion (sounds like Latvia and Belarus put up the biggest fight). In talking with a couple of team GB organizers it sounds like Swiss will fall into the 2026 games but there is talk another country may step up and take the 2026 games out of courtesy to the Swiss. We know it wont be the Russian in 2023 as they are well--looking forward to it and like to put on a god show(all games will be in St Pete this time and I have to admit I am looking forward to having all the hockey in one city)

sounds like if Team GB stays up for 5 years they can make a bid to host one year--that could be interesting

BOS358

Jul 20, 2017
Boston
I had thought after this year's tournament was cancelled that Switzerland would host in 2026, mainly because it seems like there would be too many legal issues that would result from pushing everyone back one year.

Before this year's tournament was cancelled, I thought that Germany would be most likely to host in 2026, but now I'd be surprised to see that year's event anywhere other than Zurich and Lausanne.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010

Switzerland could get 2023 or 2026 and will maybe swap groups with Germany 2021 and play in Minsk.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
There is an article in an newspaper today in which both organizing comitees of the next to year (2021, 2022) say that they are willing to discuss a postponement of their tournament, so Switzerland could host 2021.
But they would need to be financially compensated which the Swiss federation would need to do.

I think still the best chance is that Switzerland can host 2023, because the IIHF hasn't made any contracts for 2023 and beyond and also because Russia still faces a ban for hosting any international sports event.

member 305909

I was wrong in my earlier post. The next undecided host goes as far as 2026.

However, somehow I have a feeling that the Swiss will get over losing this year's tournament.

It would have hit harder for countries such as Latvia and Belarus which are due next year.

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland

However, somehow I have a feeling that the Swiss will get over losing this year's tournament.

It would have hit harder for countries such as Latvia and Belarus which are due next year.
Why should countries like Latvia and Belarus be hit harder than Switzerland by losing the WHC?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
There is an article in an newspaper today in which both organizing comitees of the next to year (2021, 2022) say that they are willing to discuss a postponement of their tournament, so Switzerland could host 2021.
But they would need to be financially compensated which the Swiss federation would need to do.

I think still the best chance is that Switzerland can host 2023, because the IIHF hasn't made any contracts for 2023 and beyond and also because Russia still faces a ban for hosting any international sports event.
The IIHF says, "as of today, the organization of the IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship has already been assigned until 2025."

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010

While this is technically true, contracts have just been made for the coming two years. So 2023 is decided, but not signed.

Russia still faces a ban for hosting international events, so 2023 could be a solid option.

jaro

Mar 31, 2018
NHL stars would go to Switzerland on IIHF Worlds, nobody will go to belarus.

Last edited:

BOS358

Jul 20, 2017
Boston
NHL stars would go to Switzerland on IIHF Worlds, nobody will go to belarus.

Not quite. 81 of them went to Minsk in 2014. Comparatively, 88 players from the NHL went the next year in Czech Republic. Team USA had five non-NHL players on the team in 2014 and seven in 2015.

As for fans, Minsk 2104 broke the record for attendance.

Reactions: jaro

member 305909

Actually, I'm not yearning to see any WC-games now. The tournament is too frequent.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Actually, I'm not yearning to see any WC-games now. The tournament is too frequent.

In other sports (basketball, handball, waterpollo) there is also one major tournament every year (EC or WC), only soccer is exception, although there is qualification cycle every other year.

jaro

Mar 31, 2018
If NHL start on November/December, then next worlds will be without NHL players i think

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->