Coronavirus and the Washington Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Last I heard the vaccine isn’t approved for kids 16 and under because it hasn’t been tested on kids 16 and under. And as I said above, my kids are 13 and 11, their symptoms were a runny nose. That’s it. And my kids are up to date on all their regular shots. So I’m not an antivaxxer. From my erxperice kids 16 and under don’t need it.

Anyway, FWIW, I think you are handling the situation very well. Don’t sweat what others say. Keep up the good work.
Thanks man. I mean that.

We aren’t anti - vaxxer’s either. All 3 of our kids have had most everything. Probably 90% of what the doctor tells you to take. We put a lot of thought and study into it, nothing is “seat of pants”. We do what we think is safest for our children. Just like everyone else does. Doesn’t mean we all have to come to the same conclusions.

Reactions: Jacoby4HOF66

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Me and my entire family spent January in isolation with COVID. My wife got it first the me and my youngest daughter then my oldest daughter got it. My wife and I had symptoms comparable to a head cold and my kids had runny noses. From my experience COVID doesn’t impact kids to much. And from what I’ve read my experience is typical. Just FYI.

And I will get the vaccine when it’s my turn. My kids don’t need it. Also, HS buddy of mine is an ER nurse and he won’t get the vaccine, FWIW.

very glad your family was lucky enough to do better than some. I’d be counting my lucky stars if it had run through our house. We have two elderly sets of parents who rely on us. Can’t even afford runny noses in our house.

Reactions: Calicaps

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
very glad your family was lucky enough to do better than some. I’d be counting my lucky stars if it had run through our house. We have two elderly sets of parents who rely on us. Can’t even afford runny noses in our house.

I had a pretty long response to your comment but this site reloads sporadically lately and it did so while I was typing and it’s gone. Oh well.

In summary, it’s serious but it’s here to stay and the vast majority that get it have minimal symptoms and those that are more severe survive. It’s time to learn to live with it an try to get back to normal.

The vaccine will help a lot and everyone should get it but for those that dont want to, like my buddy the ER nurse, that’s their decision.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Timely...

Fauci: Vaccines for first-graders could be authorized by September

In addition to restoring stability to the education system and parents’ work schedules and keeping kids and those around them safe, vaccinating children is essential to helping the country, as a whole, reach herd immunity and decrease the threat of new variants.

Otherwise, “we’re going to have tens of millions of individuals in our communities that are able to maintain the virus. And when that happens, what that allows is for these unusual variants to emerge that may have the ability to evade our immunity,”

Reactions: Calicaps

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I had a pretty long response to your comment but this site reloads sporadically lately and it did so while I was typing and it’s gone. Oh well.

In summary, it’s serious but it’s here to stay and the vast majority that get it have minimal symptoms and those that are more severe survive. It’s time to learn to live with it an try to get back to normal.

The vaccine will help a lot and everyone should get it but for those that dont want to, like my buddy the ER nurse, that’s their decision.
That is simply not true. Hundreds of thousands in this country and nearly 2.4 million worldwide have died in 1 year. Many thousands more have long-lasting debilitating symptoms. I'm very glad your family didn't have any of those outcomes, but your experience is far from representative. "Learning to live with it and trying to get back to normal" is a basically a shrug that the likely death of thousands more.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
That is simply not true. Hundreds of thousands in this country and nearly 2.4 million worldwide have died in 1 year. Many thousands more have long-lasting debilitating symptoms. I'm very glad your family didn't have any of those outcomes, but your experience is far from representative. "Learning to live with it and trying to get back to normal" is a basically a shrug that the likely death of thousands more.

It is true. Yes a lot of people have died, and it’s tragic, but there is a 95 to 97% survival rate and a lot of experts say COVID 19 is here for a while. That we will need a yearly shot like the flu. We will have to live with it because being locked down for the rest of our lives is not possible. I am not shrugging it off. I am being realistic.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Sounds a little like being accepting of death when you don’t have to, but I’m not beating a dead horse on this one.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Sounds a little like being accepting of death when you don’t have to, but I’m not beating a dead horse on this one.
I’m not accepting anything. I know someone who has died from it. I’ve also, thanks to my job, become highly educated on the subject but I see it doesn’t matter what I say, some minds are made up. That’s understandable and the world we live in.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It is true. Yes a lot of people have died, and it’s tragic, but there is a 95 to 97% survival rate and a lot of experts say COVID 19 is here for a while. That we will need a yearly shot like the flu. We will have to live with it because being locked down for the rest of our lives is not possible. I am not shrugging it off. I am being realistic.

95 to 97% is a good score on a history test but is estimated 20-30 times more deadly than the flu and has much more potential for long-term damage.

I get you're not comparing it directly to the flu and are mostly talking about mitigation methods, but disinformation about the seriousness of the virus will inhibit those efforts so we can't look at 95-97% and think that's OK here.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
95 to 97% is a good score on a history test but is estimated 20-30 times more deadly than the flu and has much more potential for long-term damage.

I get you're not comparing it directly to the flu and are mostly talking about mitigation methods, but disinformation about the seriousness of the virus will inhibit those efforts so we can't look at 95-97% and think that's OK here.
Yes I am not comparing COVID to the flu. Just that, like the flu, experts say COVID will be with us for a while and, like the flu, we will need to get annual shots against the different versions of COVID expected every year.

Unfortunately we live in a time where disinformation is used as a weapon by politicians from both sides and the media. The best way to combat that is for people to seek more than one source of information and count on themselves to develop an informed opinion. But that’s easier said then done.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yes I am not comparing COVID to the flu. Just that, like the flu, experts say COVID will be with us for a while and, like the flu, we will need to get annual shots against the different versions of COVID expected every year.

Unfortunately we live in a time where disinformation is used as a weapon by politicians from both sides and the media. The best way to combat that is for people to seek more than one source of information and count on themselves to develop an informed opinion. But that’s easier said then done.

I'd ask what disinformation is coming from the side/media that's advocating prevention measures but I'm sure that will get too political.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I'd ask what disinformation is coming from the side/media that's advocating prevention measures but I'm sure that will get too political.
Did you read The NY Times piece today on COVID “absolutism”? Interesting read. Talks about the frenzy around COVID info and how to combat/work within it. Definitely media involvement based upon the read.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Did you read The NY Times piece today on COVID “absolutism”? Interesting read. Talks about the frenzy around COVID info and how to combat/work within it. Definitely media involvement based upon the read.

I just skimmed it and I'm not sure why it would relate in this context. It seems like mostly a strawman argument by the author since there's very little true "absolutism" going on, and definitely not coming from any political source or major media outlets. I don't see any of those sources doing anything more than arguing for people to follow the damn CDC guidelines, and/or wear masks around others per state mandates. If some independent businesses or colleges overreact or whatever, that's nothing close to the organized disinfo campaigns that have spawned things like "reopen" protests, attacks, and even invasions of state capitols. Or, say, a coordinated effort by a political party and its leadership to undermine regular prevention efforts by supporting anti-mask efforts, calling it a flu, saying it will just magically go away, etc etc

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I just skimmed it and I'm not sure why it would relate in this context. It seems like mostly a strawman argument by the author since there's very little true "absolutism" going on, and definitely not coming from any political source or major media outlets. I don't see any of those sources doing anything more than arguing for people to follow the damn CDC guidelines, and/or wear masks around others per state mandates. If some independent businesses or colleges overreact or whatever, that's nothing close to the organized disinfo campaigns that have spawned things like "reopen" protests, attacks, and even invasions of state capitols. Or, say, a coordinated effort by a political party and its leadership to undermine regular prevention efforts by supporting anti-mask efforts, calling it a flu, saying it will just magically go away, etc etc
I guess from where you sit on this topic, your answer makes sense.

If you don’t think many of these institutions that are putting some extreme policies in place aren’t related to politics or media — then we can move on. The people making these decisions get those ideas from somewhere.

Maybe it’s their spouses and friends?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I guess from where you sit on this topic, your answer makes sense.

If you don’t think many of these institutions that are putting some extreme policies in place aren’t related to politics or media — then we can move on. The people making these decisions get those ideas from somewhere.

Maybe it’s their spouses and friends?

I don't know what policies or entities are being talked about here or where they get their ideas. But if we're going to claim a "both sides" argument then we should have some indication that's actually happening, and not just an appeal to middle ground because a few outliers overreact and are lumped into one camp. The positions of both sides as expressed in platforms and conveyed in the media are pretty clearly defined and oppose each other in some key ways.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
[Mod] my $.02 is that, a vaccine which was by all measures rushed through the approval process, for which there are zero long term studies of its impact/safety, would be a case where I would be extra cautious about giving it to my kid. A vaccine which has been used for decades and for which the short and long term reactions are well understood, I'd have more confidence in. That's not the case with the, what is it now, three different options we have? I'd like more data before I had to choose which of the three available vaccines I want. I'm OK with staying home until we have more information.

Being an anti vax nutter and taking a measured approach to this brand new vaccine are not even remotely the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
[Mod] my $.02 is that, a vaccine which was by all measures rushed through the approval process, for which there are zero long term studies of its impact/safety, would be a case where I would be extra cautious about giving it to my kid. A vaccine which has been used for decades and for which the short and long term reactions are well understood, I'd have more confidence in. That's not the case with the, what is it now, three different options we have? I'd like more data before I had to choose which of the three available vaccines I want. I'm OK with staying home until we have more information.

Being an anti vax nutter and taking a measured approach to this brand new vaccine are not even remotely the same thing.

Generally true but there's no reason to believe the vaccine is unsafe for almost all adults. It was not "rushed through the approval process" in any way that didn't involve typical phased testing. If there's some missing critical step beyond 10-20 years of regular use I'd like to know what it is.

Fact or Fiction: Was the COVID-19 vaccine ‘rushed’ and the trials faked?

Speed of COVID vaccines did not compromise safety or scientific integrity, Fauci says | Live Science

The "concern" about "rushed approval" or "we don't know for sure this is safe" is all a part of the antivax playbook. That's where this shit starts, even if someone isn't antivax.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I don't know what policies or entities are being talked about here or where they get their ideas. But if we're going to claim a "both sides" argument then we should have some indication that's actually happening, and not just an appeal to middle ground because a few outliers overreact and are lumped into one camp. The positions of both sides as expressed in platforms and conveyed in the media are pretty clearly defined and oppose each other in some key ways.
I’m purple. Let’s get that out of the way.

But I’ve found most of mainstream media to be one sided. I won’t comment on which side. But it is, from where I sit. That’s all I will say.

and I fully respect and appreciate your comments. I get it. Logical on their merit.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Generally true but there's no reason to believe the vaccine is unsafe for almost all adults. It was not "rushed through the approval process" in any way that didn't involve typical phased testing. If there's some missing critical step beyond 10-20 years of regular use I'd like to know what it is.

Fact or Fiction: Was the COVID-19 vaccine ‘rushed’ and the trials faked?

Speed of COVID vaccines did not compromise safety or scientific integrity, Fauci says | Live Science

The "concern" about "rushed approval" or "we don't know for sure this is safe" is all a part of the antivax playbook. That's where this shit starts, even if someone isn't antivax.

Oh come on man, that’s not fair. How long did it take the Polio and SmallPox vaccines?

If you don’t think a year is “rushed” when it comes to vaccines, then you are not paying attention to history. I get “modern medicine” and blah blah blah, but for those of us over the age of 50, being pragmatic doesn’t deserve this type of negative vitriol. It just doesn’t. It’s not like we are screaming at people for rushing to vaccinate now. Go ahead. It’s ok by me. Free choice and all.

But why chastise those that are playing it safe on ALL fronts, and need more time? Why is that such a bad choice to make? It’s not — other than not fitting some narrative that people have about how this is all supposed to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad