Coronavirus and the Washington Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yea....and if that veteran depth player, the sort you sent a 2nd and 3rd round pick off for at the trade deadline is needed in the playoffs after an injury, then what? If the Caps are going to go very far in the playoffs, they are going to need Gudas. They are going to need Dillon. What if both said, no thanks? They are hosed
Dillon is not a depth player. Neither is Kovalchuk. I'm talking about rotational fourth-liners and scratches that may have some reservations, particularly Europeans whose families may be a continent away for a few months. Sure, Gudas is likely the seventh D and could be needed but if he's mainly sitting I don't know that he';; adjust to playoff pace very well. There were suggestions throughout the last month or two that he may not really be up to it so he's likely to be a fairly limited option if he does play. With them likely having Fehervary around along with at least one if not more other D options as black aces I just wonder. He's got experience on his side and they do love their grit but what if some players just don't want to come back? How would that be handled?

A 24-team playoff format seems really f***ing weird.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Outside of essential services, people don’t really need to go back to work. We have plenty of money as a nation to get through this without forcing people back to work early. Politicians will have you believe that we “need to get back to work” but that’s only because the ultra-wealthy want poor people to go back to work so that they can continue to line their pockets.

Opening arenas to the public means you need to employ staff: ushers, security, concessions, janitors, etc. Is it really worth it to put these people at risk just so rabid sports fans can get their fix? There will be a point where the rewards outweigh the risks (as with other illnesses like the flu, common cold, etc.) but we are nowhere near that with the coronavirus. Until we are, large gatherings absolutely need to be forbidden.

The question regarding going out during the pandemic isn’t “are you willing to die?” it’s “are you willing to kill others?”

Edit: deleted -- not related to the thread topic

Last edited:

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
NBCSN Is Airing some random caps games today. No idea why this regular season game vs the devils last season was important

Edit 5 mins for being Tom Wilson

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
NHL, NHLPA working on 24-team conference-based playoff setup - Sportsnet.ca
The top four seeds (based on points percentage) in the East would be Boston, Tampa Bay, Washington and Philadelphia. Top four in the West would be St. Louis, Colorado, Vegas and Dallas.
They would receive byes through the play-in, but participate in a three-game tournament to get some action. I confess I’m not certain of all the details on if or how it would affect playoff seeding.
The rest of the playoffs would be “bracketed.” That means, in both conferences 5 vs. 12 (winner plays four seed), 6 vs. 11 (winner plays three seed), 7 vs. 10 (winner plays two seed) and 8 vs. 9 (winner plays one seed).
So that would mean an opening round of: Pittsburgh/Montreal; Carolina/Rangers; Islanders/Florida and Toronto/Columbus in the East and Edmonton/Chicago; Nashville/Arizona; Vancouver/Minnesota; Calgary/Winnipeg in the West.
The play-in series would be a best-of-five. The rest of the playoffs would be best-of-seven.
Nothing set in stone but that would line up to the Caps playing the winner of CAR/NYR and a potential PIT/PHI round. TBL getting NYI/FLA seems like a rather easy draw compared to TOR/CBJ.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
NHL, NHLPA working on 24-team conference-based playoff setup - Sportsnet.ca

Nothing set in stone but that would line up to the Caps playing the winner of CAR/NYR and a potential PIT/PHI round. TBL getting NYI/FLA seems like a rather easy draw compared to TOR/CBJ.

I'm drifting away from support for this plan, and I'd hoped they'd modify it before approving.

As much as I hate the Pens they're getting royally screwed here. The standings after 68-71 games are what they are and if the NHL is using points % to pick the top 4 for each conference why not the top 8?

As I noted before a continuation of points % to even things up would not change the standings significantly. Now you have a situation where a Pens team that was pretty comfortably in a top 3 divisional spot after 86 points in 68 games could now lose 2 games to MTL (71 pts in 71 games) and be out of the playoffs. NO team in the East could play 2 games and catch the Pens and knock them out of the playoffs if the regular season schedule were to have resumed.

I think it's rare to see the Pens get the shit end of the stick from the league but the power of NY/CHI/MTL seems to be stronger.

Reactions: twabby

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Don't know where to post it but "on premier sport 2" a British channel, they're showing "

Stanley cups films : Stanley cup 2018"
And it will last 1 hour 45 minutes.
Started at 9pm Cet
8pm Greenwich time
3pm Washington ET

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm drifting away from support for this plan, and I'd hoped they'd modify it before approving.

As much as I hate the Pens they're getting royally screwed here. The standings after 68-71 games are what they are and if the NHL is using points % to pick the top 4 for each conference why not the top 8?

As I noted before a continuation of points % to even things up would not change the standings significantly. Now you have a situation where a Pens team that was pretty comfortably in a top 3 divisional spot after 86 points in 68 games could now lose 2 games to MTL (71 pts in 71 games) and be out of the playoffs. NO team in the East could play 2 games and catch the Pens and knock them out of the playoffs if the regular season schedule were to have resumed.

I think it's rare to see the Pens get the shit end of the stick from the league but the power of NY/CHI/MTL seems to be stronger.

The Pens are getting screwed if they lose. If they win, very likely they have an advantage over a team having not played a game that counts yet. Further, if the Pens are screwed by the league, its a nice change.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The Pens are getting screwed if they lose. If they win, very likely they have an advantage over a team having not played a game that counts yet. Further, if the Pens are screwed by the league, its a nice change.

Aren't the top 4 teams playing a round robin for seeding? I wouldn't say that creates an advantage for the team fighting for survival in a 2-3 game series. If they lose G1 due to rust they're in a deep hole.

If a top 4 team loses the first game due to rust it's meaningless. Hell they can lose the next 2 and still come out fine.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Aren't the top 4 teams playing a round robin for seeding? I wouldn't say that creates an advantage for the team fighting for survival in a 2-3 game series. If they lose G1 due to rust they're in a deep hole.

If a top 4 team loses the first game due to rust it's meaningless. Hell they can lose the next 2 and still come out fine.

What I had heard yesterday was no round robin. I still expect those games to be played like exhibition games with a priority on getting sharp instead of winning. For instance I don't think Holtby plays all three. I don't think the dress the same lineup.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

With what’s going on today, and now this, it feels like the last 3 months was nothing more than a 3 month payed vacation at home.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

With what’s going on today, and now this, it feels like the last 3 months was nothing more than a 3 month payed vacation at home.

While that's obviously good news and I'm also irritated that probably TOO MUCH caution may have been taken in many cases, the numbers today would have been much worse than if we hadn't instituted controls. People are notoriously bad at containing viral spread even when they're showing symptoms.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
While that's obviously good news and I'm also irritated that probably TOO MUCH caution may have been taken in many cases, the numbers today would have been much worse than if we hadn't instituted controls. People are notoriously bad at containing viral spread even when they're showing symptoms.

I hear ya, just frustrated.

Reactions: g00n
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->