Coronavirus and the Washington Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Listening to LeBrun yesterday the 24 team scenario probably isn't what they will choose. Its a process I understand though. They have 7 teams that are out and makes no sense to force them to return to playout the string. That leaves 24. Among the 24 you have teams that have sold off quality players at the trade deadline assuming they were out. Its unlikely the league will force those teams to return, train, and then have no chance to advance.

I think we end up with a standard 16 team playoffs based on point percentage with playoff series played in no travel required neutral sights.

Reactions: g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Listening to LeBrun yesterday the 24 team scenario probably isn't what they will choose. Its a process I understand though. They have 7 teams that are out and makes no sense to force them to return to playout the string. That leaves 24. Among the 24 you have teams that have sold off quality players at the trade deadline assuming they were out. Its unlikely the league will force those teams to return, train, and then have no chance to advance.

I think we end up with a standard 16 team playoffs based on point percentage with playoff series played in no travel required neutral sights.

Probably fine. I did some calcs and there would be only one standings change of any significance if the current points % were maintained through the maximum games already played (71).

The Flames would jump over the Preds for WC1 and Nashville would slide one spot to WC2, by about half a point.

This seems more equitable than letting teams with fewer games played have a chance to change their overall fortune from the rest of the year with an outlier winning % for just a few games, after such a big layoff. The existing points % is probably the best assessment of who these teams have been, and would likely be if everyone had 71 games played before the season stopped.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Probably fine. I did some calcs and there would be only one standings change of any significance if the current points % were maintained through the maximum games already played (71).

The Flames would jump over the Preds for WC1 and Nashville would slide one spot to WC2, by about half a point.

This seems more equitable than letting teams with fewer games played have a chance to change their overall fortune from the rest of the year with an outlier winning % for just a few games, after such a big layoff. The existing points % is probably the best assessment of who these teams have been, and would likely be if everyone had 71 games played before the season stopped.

Well...then you get the other reality. The crappy teams aren't playing. So, if your one game to upgrade your situation was supposed to be against Ottawa and because they aren't playing they get a good playoff team, how's that workout?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Pretty solid UFC event without the crowd, albeit weird at times how quiet and audible the corners were.

Should the NHL return it'll be interesting how much bench banter is heard or featured. If it were me I'd feature ALL of the chirping.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Pretty solid UFC event without the crowd, albeit weird at times how quiet and audible the corners were.

Should the NHL return it'll be interesting how much bench banter is heard or featured. If it were me I'd feature ALL of the chirping.

best part is actually hearing the communication....loved it in European soccer. Cursing going to be interesting lol...

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Seeing as how this epic flu isn't going away anytime soon, I say start back up. Life must go on. I see more and more people out and about without masks like they're over it. I only wear a mask to Shoprite (otherwise they won't let me in) and I live 40 minutes outside NYC. Are we really expected to sit at home all summer long? Experts are saying the virus will linger till autumn if not winter. People need to f***ing work!

Start with how it was left. And the draft based on the same positioning. If people want go watch, let them. The one's that are afraid won't go anyways. I bet you it won't be packed to the max but it'll be close. The no-audience thing can work too, I guess. It'll be weird tho.

*End of late night rant*

Reactions: Eirikrautha

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Seeing as how this epic flu isn't going away anytime soon, I say start back up. Life must go on. I see more and more people out and about without masks like they're over it. I only wear a mask to Shoprite (otherwise they won't let me in) and I live 40 minutes outside NYC. Are we really expected to sit at home all summer long? Experts are saying the virus will linger till autumn if not winter. People need to f***ing work!

Start with how it was left. And the draft based on the same positioning. If people want go watch, let them. The one's that are afraid won't go anyways. I bet you it won't be packed to the max but it'll be close. The no-audience thing can work too, I guess. It'll be weird tho.

*End of late night rant*

Outside of essential services, people don’t really need to go back to work. We have plenty of money as a nation to get through this without forcing people back to work early. Politicians will have you believe that we “need to get back to work” but that’s only because the ultra-wealthy want poor people to go back to work so that they can continue to line their pockets.

Opening arenas to the public means you need to employ staff: ushers, security, concessions, janitors, etc. Is it really worth it to put these people at risk just so rabid sports fans can get their fix? There will be a point where the rewards outweigh the risks (as with other illnesses like the flu, common cold, etc.) but we are nowhere near that with the coronavirus. Until we are, large gatherings absolutely need to be forbidden.

The question regarding going out during the pandemic isn’t “are you willing to die?” it’s “are you willing to kill others?”

Reactions: Team SWOLEvechkin

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Treliving did an interview this week and said he thinks a preliminary plan gets announced as early as next week.

I saw the Gudas quotes and I don't believe everyone shares the same viewpoints that he does. He's an UFA who had his playing time reduced and he basically said he's already moving on so in his mind he's probably checked out and looking forward to a new contract.

Plus, the NBA seems to definitely be on track to come back. Mark Cuban was on the Pardon My Take podcast this week and he seems to think the NBA season will finish with some regular season games played (so players can get back into game shape) and everything will take place at one location like Vegas. Seems that the biggest hurdle is lack of testing available. NBA seems to want to start their 2020-2021 season on Christmas Day.

“I think there’s momentum,” Treliving told Sportsnet’s Eric Francis on Thursday. “No state secrets here, but I do sense some momentum that next week there could be at least a preliminary plan put in place for where we go.”

Flames GM thinks NHL’s return-to-play plan could be announced next week

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't think Gudas point of view is the majority, but it doesn't have to be. These guys aren't grocery store check out people. A majority of them do not need a paycheck anytime in the foreseeable future. They have got to feel comfortable. I think there is a real question mark whether they can achieve that.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Radko can stay at home. I do wonder whether teams will allow certain players to do so if it's mutually agreed upon. No stars but if it's a vet depth player on an expiring contract I wonder...

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Radko can stay at home. I do wonder whether teams will allow certain players to do so if it's mutually agreed upon. No stars but if it's a vet depth player on an expiring contract I wonder...

Yea....and if that veteran depth player, the sort you sent a 2nd and 3rd round pick off for at the trade deadline is needed in the playoffs after an injury, then what? If the Caps are going to go very far in the playoffs, they are going to need Gudas. They are going to need Dillon. What if both said, no thanks? They are hosed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad